Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

East Edmonton`s Black Trangle

ChrisDavies

Registered
Hi Folks, Brent Davies wrote this article and allowed me to post it on my blog, and now I`m sharing it here. (You can also read the original Edmonton Real Estate`s Black Triangle post on my blog. Disclosure: Brent is my father, and we`ve worked together in property management most of my life.)

The Black Triangle of East Edmonton Eats New Investors

First time Real Estate Investors, often out-of-town seminar grads, come charging into Edmonton and buy where the property is the cheapest.

It’s Cheap for a Reason

I shake my head whenever a client calls to tell me his new property is in East Edmonton. One client bought what he called a “3-plex.” In reality it was a 1935 2-storey house converted into 3 suites. The existing tenant profile included a hooker in the basement, a drunk on the main floor, and the hooker’s boyfriend upstairs. The client was able to get out 18 months later, and made out okay due to the rising market.

The Old Time Realtors chuckle as the new seminar grads arrive to buy the cheapest house they can find. The newbies are repeat business…they’ll be selling again shortly as they try to get out.

First time investors should stay out of the Black Triangle of East Edmonton

In Edmonton, 7 out of 10 of the cheapest listings are in areas like Boyle Street, Norwood and McCauley. They are to Edmonton what East Hastings is to Vancouver.

This can be a great area for experienced investors, but it’s not for the inexperienced. Specifically, avoid the area bounded by Yellowhead Trail to the North, the North Saskatchewan River to the south, 97th Street to the West and ending in Rundle Park to the east. (N.B. North-East Edmonton starts north of the Yellowhead Trail.)

(Chris’s note: It’s really more of a polygon, but
Edmonton’s Black Polygon just doesn’t have the same ring)

East Edmonton is a neighbourhood in transition. There are differing opinions as to whether it’s a transition up or a transition down. This area was a traditional blue collar or working class neighbourhood, and is home to many of Edmonton’s immigrant neighbourhoods. Little Italy, Little Portugal and China Town are all located in this area. There are pockets that are good areas, such as Highlands, but only if you’re very careful.

Currently drug houses and prostitution are two major activities in this area. The police are actively working on the crime issues, and there are a number of initiatives to try to revitalize the area, but these folks will still need somewhere to go, and it’s not perfect yet.

Foundationally Strong?

The typical house was constructed prior to World War II, or more than 65 years ago. Foundations run the full range from none at all or dugout basements to brick or rock, and full basements. The cold winters cause freeze/thaw damage; these basements eventually fail, and require major structural repairs. Electrical panels are typically too small and must be upgraded in order to get them insured. Gravity furnaces can still be found, although rarely. Capital Health, the local public health board, routinely condemns homes in East Edmonton, usually citing structural deficiencies.

Wood frame houses in Edmonton typically have a 75 year life span, so many areas of East Edmonton are at the end of their economic life, and the area may become a prime redevelopment zone in the next 25 years. In the mean time, it’s not the place for new investors.

Brent Davies

Property Manager
The King of Eastwood
Davies Management & Realty Ltd.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
beautifully written .. and right on !

Whenever I tell our (now 300+) investors that we buy class C buildings in class B neighborhoods .. and show the upside and potential for cash-flow and equity upside ... I also usually tell them the one building I used to own that was a class B building in a class C neighborhood .. and it was a terrible headache to own .. never again .. and guess what : it was in this black triangle along 118 Ave and 83 Street !

buyer beware ! (or shall I say "beyer beware" ?)

Smitty

REIN Member
Chris (and Brent!) Davies:

Very well done and exceptionally analyzed and written. Seriously, you just saved some people some headaches, thereby more than justifying the cost of a REIN membership. (I say that because i always chuckle people going "gasp...it costs HOW much?..."

The amount of sharing on this forum is stunning sometimes. People like yourself are just really generous and helpful.

I was once attracted to the area, and was put off for every single issue you mentioned. It would have been way over my head to own in those neighborhoods, no matter what the "deals". And I am glad I still don`t own there.

Great post.

Mike "Smitty" Smith

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jul 3 2008, 08:35 PM) beautifully written .. and right on !

Whenever I tell our (now 300+) investors that we buy class C buildings in class B neighborhoods .. and show the upside and potential for cash-flow and equity upside ... I also usually tell them the one building I used to own that was a class B building in a class C neighborhood .. and it was a terrible headache to own .. never again .. and guess what : it was in this black triangle along 118 Ave and 83 Street !

buyer beware ! (or shall I say "beyer beware" ?)

Thanks Thomas! It was Brent`s idea to write the article, and it`s something that we`ve talked about many times because we`ve seen so many newbies make this exact mistake. What would you send newbies to invest in Edmonton?

That said, Brent`s picked up the title `the King of Eastwood` because we successfully managed a number of buildings down the 82nd streeet corridor. That said we have a little more exprience than average.

Cheers!

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (Smitty @ Jul 4 2008, 06:10 PM) Very well done and exceptionally analyzed and written. Seriously, you just saved some people some headaches, thereby more than justifying the cost of a REIN membership. (I say that because i always chuckle people going "gasp...it costs HOW much?..."

The amount of sharing on this forum is stunning sometimes. People like yourself are just really generous and helpful.

I was once attracted to the area, and was put off for every single issue you mentioned. It would have been way over my head to own in those neighborhoods, no matter what the "deals". And I am glad I still don`t own there.

Great post.

Mike "Smitty" Smith

Thanks Smitty! It`s a dangerous area because the due dilligance checklist is somewhat longer in those neighbourhood and the costs of getting one step wrong are somewhat higher. If you know your stuff and have more resources it can be awesome, but not for the faint of heart.

Same question I just asked Thomas: Where would you suggest newbies go look in Edmonton?

TommyK

Registered
Thank you so much for bringing this up! I was originally looking at this area as the bungalows and apartments are very cheap comparing to other parts of the town. Then I spoke to Murray from Realtycorp. He also suggested NOT to touch that area. Even though the zone is going through revitalization, it is not worth a newbie`s effort to take such a risk to begin with.

Great information! The BLACK TRIANGLE.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Jul 5 2008, 11:53 AM) ... What would you send newbies to invest in Edmonton?

Most areas in Edmonton make sense to invest in .. AT THE RIGHT PRICE !

One problem right now in Alberta in general is
a ) prices are still very elevated due to excelelnt economy and low interest rates
b ) poised for a correction downwards in many areas (due to slowing in-migration and 100%+ rise in 3 years or so) and
c ) cash-flow is tough to come by with a 75% mortgage (if you can get one)

Howver, if you can at least break even with a decently high mortgage (say 70% to 85%) then a long term hold will make a LOT OF SENSE almost anywhere in Alberta, including the King of Alberta: Edmonton and area !

gottatango

Registered
Hi Chris,

My wife and I read your post last night and we are very grateful for the information. We have been looking in that area because it was cheaper than most areas in Edmonton. I think you just help us newbies from a ton of headache.

Cheers,
Adrian

Top Bottom