Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Edmonton Property Management. Who Sucks and Who Rocks?

GSI

REIN Member
On our REIN MYSPACE forum we talk a lot about which residential property managers are good and bad, as well as ways to improve self-managing.

I thought that it would be helpful to make a list of Edmonton property managers (you could do a similar post for your city too) and rate them. The key is to add both your positive and negative feedback. Some property managers should just plain be avoided- don`t be shy to write that. Others deserve more recognition for doing a great job- add that too.

I wanted to add a space for comments under the direct polls, but wasn`t able too. therefore, please just add your comments under the company names below. If I missed some major property managers, please add them.

1) Realty Corp. (Liberty Manor)

2) Kirkside Realty

3) Realty Canada (Don King)

4) Libertas Property Management Inc.

5) Davis Management and Realty (was Brent Davis)

6) Terra Realty (DMG/Don Grey)

7) Assured Property Management (Macdonald Realty - John Stobbe)

8) Group Three Property Management

9) Larlyn Property Management (condo)

10) Mayfield (condo)

11) Esquire Management Group

12) Milligan Realty Ltd.

13) Blue Print Property Management

14) Ayre & Oxford Inc.

15) Bella property Management

Someone I forgot? Please add them below:

MichaelBradfield

Registered
QUOTE (GSI @ Feb 1 2009, 08:53 PM) On our REIN MYSPACE forum we talk a lot about which residential property managers are good and bad, as well as ways to improve self-managing.

I thought that it would be helpful to make a list of Edmonton property managers (you could do a similar post for your city too) and rate them. The key is to add both your positive and negative feedback. Some property managers should just plain be avoided- don`t be shy to write that. Others deserve more recognition for doing a great job- add that too.

I wanted to add a space for comments under the direct polls, but wasn`t able too. therefore, please just add your comments under the company names below. If I missed some major property managers, please add them.

2) Kirkside Realty

3) Realty Canada (Don King)- XXXXX - never ever use this joker. Cost us thousands to repair the damage his welfare tenants caused.
He never answers the phone, never calls back, and left us with numerous months with no tenants. Bad all around.

4) Libertas Holdings Inc.

10) Mayfield (condo)

12) Milligan Realty Ltd.

14) Ayre & Oxford Inc.

JBagorio

Registered
... 13) Blue Print Property Management - I had a very good experienc with Blue Print I was dealing with Kim for a year and a half. Too bad she is no longer providing the PM service. She is now doing the bailiff side of the bussiness.

This post id such a good idea...thanks!

vandriani

REIN Member
QUOTE (GSI @ Feb 1 2009, 07:53 PM) 1) Realty Corp. (Liberty Manor)

2) Kirkside Realty

4) Libertas Holdings Inc. - I like the idea iof using a landlord liason, lease-up took longer than I expected, monthly account statements are not very explainatory an very organized. I know of one owner that has fired this company (not me).

10) Mayfield (condo)

12) Milligan Realty Ltd.

14) Ayre & Oxford Inc.

klewlis

Registered
QUOTE ("MichaelBradfield")3) Realty Canada (Don King)- XXXXX - never ever use this joker. Cost us thousands to repair the damage his welfare tenants caused.
He never answers the phone, never calls back, and left us with numerous months with no tenants. Bad all around.

I have heard similar feedback about him never returning calls and not seeming to care if units sit empty.

However, I do take issue with the phrase "the damage his welfare tenants caused." That smacks of discrimination... which appears to be a HUGE problem among Edmonton landlords... (perhaps elsewhere too, I don`t know).

Ian

Registered
QUOTE (GSI @ Feb 1 2009, 07:53 PM) On our REIN MYSPACE forum we talk a lot about which residential property managers are good and bad, as well as ways to improve self-managing.

2) Kirkside Realty

4) Libertas Holdings Inc.

10) Mayfield (condo)

12) Milligan Realty Ltd.

14) Ayre & Oxford Inc.

Kirkside--suck absolutely 100%--they completely lack integtrity and honesty--if you want to have your units vacant for four or five months and then have Caroline ok tenants who destroy your units and then bolt in the middle of the night then KIRKISIDE is the PM company for you.

GSI

REIN Member
QUOTE (Ian @ Feb 2 2009, 01:51 PM) Kirkside--suck absolutely 100%--they completely lack integtrity and honesty--if you want to have your units vacant for four or five months and then have Caroline ok tenants who destroy your units and then bolt in the middle of the night then KIRKISIDE is the PM company for you.

Great info from everyone who has posted. Let`s keep this going so we can really dig deep and evaluate who we trust to look after our assets. Keep your comments coming, the good the bad and the ugly (Kirkside).

ChrisDavies

Registered
I had fun working at Davies Management, and I think they do a pretty good job, but maybe I`m biased.

I did vote for a couple other firms there who I think do a good job.

And it`s Davies with an `e`.

JessiePaul

Registered
Please DO NOT use Kirkside. I agree with Ian, they are completely incompetent! You can never get an answer when you want one, the statements don`t make any sense. She never returns phone calls. I am still waiting for payment after 2 months! Absolutely terrible service!

GSI

REIN Member
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Feb 2 2009, 05:45 PM) I had fun working at Davies Management, and I think they do a pretty good job, but maybe I`m biased.

I did vote for a couple other firms there who I think do a good job.

And it`s Davies with an `e`.

Hi Chris, Thanks for your comments. Sorry about the spelling error.

I guess that you would be a bit biased seeing as your Dad did own the company

He`s always been great on the phone when I spoke to him although I never have directly worked with him.

For voting purposes, please select folks that you have actually worked with as opposed to those that you `think` are good. We all try and choose a PM that we `think` is good and are frustrated when they turn out to be less than that. By voting we can rate their actual performance

Thank you,

JBagorio

Registered
It is good to see the number of votes, but It would also be nice to have some feedback "why" one voted for a given PM or PMs.

Thanks!

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (GSI @ Feb 1 2009, 08:53 PM) On our REIN MYSPACE forum we talk a lot about which residential property managers are good and bad, as well as ways to improve self-managing.

14) Ayre & Oxford Inc.

I use Ayre & Oxford and I think they are good. They manage a small rental pool of a 15 unit appartment building in which I participate. Their statmements are somewhat confusing and it is not always easy to figure out what is going on long-distance (I live in Calgary). But when I call I always get decent clarification. They also managed a significant renovation of one of my units in a very efficient and prudent fashion. They even let me repay the reno costs out of cashflow over several months. (the reno involved new carpet, repainting, new appliances and bath tub restoration). Once they hired a poor on-site manager with vacancies sky-rocketing - but they fired the manager within 3 months. Also, they have sometimes trouble dealing with poor renters that reduce the bottom line. Overall I am quite happy and have received good service over the last 3 years.

EdWhittingham

Registered
I highly recommend Libertas Property Management. Very professional, responsive, and well praised by tenants, owners and condo associations (as I`ve discovered through my own experiences and through due diligence checks). Tyler and his crew work very hard on our behalf, and I`m pleased to have them represent me. A new web-based system will enable owners to access property-specific info on demand - I`m looking forward to it.

Avoid Don King and Realty Canada!
As per a previous post, he is difficult to reach by both tenants and owners, and attracts very challenging tenants. He too cost me a lot of money by being MIA.

Ed Whittingham

GSI

REIN Member
QUOTE (EdWhittingham @ Feb 5 2009, 09:55 AM) I highly recommend Libertas Property Management. Very professional, responsive, and well praised by tenants, owners and condo associations (as I`ve discovered through my own experiences and through due diligence checks). Tyler and his crew work very hard on our behalf, and I`m pleased to have them represent me. A new web-based system will enable owners to access property-specific info on demand - I`m looking forward to it.

Avoid Don King and Realty Canada!
As per a previous post, he is difficult to reach by both tenants and owners, and attracts very challenging tenants. He too cost me a lot of money by being MIA.

Ed Whittingham

Great feedback, Ed, JNB and Godfried (by the way I really enjoy your posts and your perspective on things

There has got to be more folks out there that can add comments to their experience using PMs in Edmonton - come on and share with us!

Thank you,

mponte

Registered
I use Davies Management and can`t say enough good things about them. Very professional, organized and they are great with our tenants.

QUOTE (GSI @ Feb 6 2009, 01:39 AM) Great feedback, Ed, JNB and Godfried (by the way I really enjoy your posts and your perspective on things

There has got to be more folks out there that can add comments to their experience using PMs in Edmonton - come on and share with us!

Thank you,

GeoRawlins

Registered
I switched from a St. Albert based management company to Libertas. Before I did, I had a talk, face to face with them. A kinda interview. I liked their professional easy to get-a-long with style. I was impressed by the way everything is documented so that nothing gets forgotten when you have to phone in a concern or question. They constantly trying to improve their service and find that perfect fit and balance to the way they run the company. I think they are really close. I get the impression they they put us property owners ahead of their own best interests. Isn`t that what is know as "Customer Service"? Because of the improvements and streamlining of their operations, some communications to me as a property owner, have slipped through the cracks. Although frustrating it is certainly NOT the end of the world and only effects the way I keep my office organized. This would be my only weak rating for Libertas.
They have a very good group of people in the office they seem to get along with each other and enjoy the work they do. I like the direction they are taking with their I.T. based stuff. By that I mean accessing my properties Dairies or Statements on-line and downloading/printing from the web. Once this has been implemented, it should deal with my only concern with the level of service I get from Libertas.
Good work Libertas, compared to the company I used formerly, you guys have made my job much easier as a property owner.

Keep up the great work.

Geo

shawnthornton

Registered
We have been using Libertas Property Management for about a year now. We really appreciate the fact that it is run by investors that seem to "Get It". We deal with a Landlord Liaison who is accessible to handle our inquiries, while the Property Managers deal with the tenant inquiries. The accounting side has had it`s challenges but they are in the process of converting to a new software where I`ll have online access to my accounts, which is cool. They also have something called "Property Diaries" which tracks everything that happens on my properties from showings to maintenance to lease renewals and letters sent. I currently get a print out of that with my statements so I know what has happened with my property over the month, but again they are taking it to the next level and moving that to online access for landlords shortly. They seem to constantly strive to improve their systems and people and I am very happy to have them as my property managers. I highly recommend them!

Shawn Thornton
Everest Real Estate Ventures
(780) 238-2006
[email protected]

TylerUzelman

REIN Member
Libertas Property Management Inc.

Mailing Address:
377, 12222-137 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5L 4X5

Office Address:
10616-178 Street
Edmonton, AB T5S 2E3

780-478-6492 Office
780-406-2892 Fax

Landlord Liaison email:
Dave Grant - [email protected]
Drew Clark - [email protected]

Hope this helps,

GSI

REIN Member
QUOTE (TylerUzelman @ Feb 11 2009, 08:07 PM) Libertas Property Management Inc.

Mailing Address:
377, 12222-137 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5L 4X5

Office Address:
10616-178 Street
Edmonton, AB T5S 2E3

780-478-6492 Office
780-406-2892 Fax

Landlord Liaison email:
Dave Grant - [email protected]
Drew Clark - [email protected]

Hope this helps,

((Thanks Tyler!))

According to the Poll and feedback Libertas has got a lot of good votes.

I`m sure that there are many more of us renting suites in Edmonton and using the PMs there. Please continue to contribute with your good and bad comments/votes.

I have personally experienced a plethora of PMs from Hamilton to Winnipeg to Edmonton. I`ve had tenants croak in my units as well as a few PMs. I`ve had PMs bend over backwards to do a good job and others try and bend me over.

All of us involved in real estate for a number of years will have similar stories.

Recently one of my PMs neglected to deposit the rent for the 2nd month in a row. Her excuse was one of the best yet, it was pretty much because a swarm of frozen bananas got caught up in the soffia and caught on fire. Then on the way to the bank her teeth got all brittle-like so she couldn`t deposit the rent.

Does this make sense to you? Because, it didn`t to me either.

Which excuses are better your PMs or your tenants?

Thanks,

PS: Luckily the bananas were peeled and only 7 died.

Top Bottom