Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Eliminating Consumer Debt

countryproperty

Registered
Since I believe consumer debt can be a huge road block to Real Estate Investing I have decided to start this post with ideas to help people eliminate there consumer debt thus freeing them up invest in Real Estate.

Investing in Real Estate is the most fun you can have while achieving financial independence!

So feel free to post tips, articles, resourses to help people become debt free.

This is a great article. http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/12-ways-defeat-debt-fiftyplus-1461894105.html?x=0

thanks

Mark

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Spend less than you earn.

Buy a cheap car, cash - don't lease one or buy it on credit.

Borrow money only for appreciating and/or income producing assets. Everything else buy in cash: car, vacation, school education, clothing, bling-bling, food, ...

Real estate used to be appreciating, but that is not a given in all markets anymore, so be careful how much house you chose to afford, especially early in life if one's job situation requires one to be more flexible with location choice. [When I came to Canada in 1986 with $1000 in my jeans and my used bicycle (and not much else but no debt) many of my then MBA colleagues had 2 cars and huge houses in the mid to late twenties. I thought that was strange, then .. And still think that now. We didn't buy our first home until 1993 after having moved three times between 1986 and 1993 .. The point being that a house can be a great asset but also a huge liability due to mortgage interest and huge transaction costs on sale/move] .. Therefore:

Don't buy too big a house (or car) with too much debt too early in your life, or if you have one too big, sell it and downsize, or at least sublet the basement.

Live more modestly, until you can truly afford it. That is hard, but it is possible and liberating. ( I bought my first ever new car until I was well into my 40's)

Pay off consumer debt first, starting with the most expensive debt, usually retail store cards at 20%+ interest, then credit cards, .. Then (and only then) invest into something useful ... like income producing real estate with moderate leverage.

Be mindful of vocabulary used by the financial industry: A credit card is not a credit card if you cannot pay it off every month. It is a debt card. Retirement planning is mainly about the retirement of the planner. Wealth advising is primarily about the wealth of the advisor. Invest in an RRSP or TFSA to a bank primarily means additional fees collected, regardless of your investment performance, thus heavily marketed to you, the consumer, even encouraging RRSP loans with interest.

Be mindful of vocabulary you use: A problem is usually not a "problem" .. it is just a fact. Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real. I can .. and I cannot .. and you're right either way. I don't have time .. usually is not true either .. you had 24 hours yesterday like all other humans on this planet .. you just decided to not take the time for a certain task. A need is often just a "want". etc.

reinvestors88

Registered
Tried and true Thomas. Hope everyone has learned this early in life.

If I may add: if saddled with consumer debts due to lack of financial planning or knowledge, one may opt to have another source of huge (depending on time and effort you put in) extra income on a part time basis. One example is by working in financial services industry with dual intentions of educating and helping him/herself, families and other individuals in the same boat.

My 2cents.

invst4profit

Registered
The secret is to not go into debt, getting out is a lot more difficult.

I grew up believing if you can't pay cash you can't afford it and, as Thomas has pointed out, the only money I ever owed was on my home and my investments.

Regrettably most of the younger generation lack the patients to wait and save and have to a great extent adjusted there thinking to consider credit to be calculated as part of there liquid funds. They don't buy what they can afford they buy what they can afford to make the payments on.

My only advice to those wanting to get out of dept is to make a serious adjustment to your thinking. Your attitude about money is wrong.

If you have bad debt, liability based, sell what you can, get rid of unnecessary technology, do without, get a second job, put off having children and if you have children make sure both parents are working. It's simply a case of pay now or pay later. Work hard now while you can to insure you can enjoy life later debt free.

There is no shortage of money. Time however is in limited quantity.

Top Bottom