Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Energy Rebate Program

RyanTopley

Registered
Does anyone have any information on a program where the government provides a "rebate" for energy effiecient upgrades that you to an older property (EX/ upgrading frunace, changing windows, etc)? HOw do you apply for it and where can i find the qualifications involved?

Thanks
Ryan

navaz

Registered
Hello Ryan

I dont know if it is the same one you are talking about -but I had pursued one where the rebates came from CMHC insurance fee rebates. When I looked at the admin cost of the audit required to prove the energy useage had gone down, it was not worth it from a financial point.

EdRenkema

Registered
Ryan,
I don`t know about Alberta but here in Ontario the prov. gov`t gives a generous rebate for those upgrades. This is a new program in the last 90 days. The owner must have an energy audit performed by a licensed private contractor to qualify - this is prior to any upgrades and costs 3 to $400. I just did it for my own home and will receive almost $1000 rebate on my new hi-efficiency furnace, less the cost of $400 audit. For windows we can receive up to $60 per window. Unfortunately I had 11 new windows installed this past spring before the program started and I get nothing in terms of rebate.
style_emoticons

Ed R

3Girls

SK is the same way. You need an audit done first. I know someone who just had it done, his rebate on a hi eff. furnace was $1,000 with about another $400 on other small changes he had to make. They have just extended the program because of the demand/backup.

Maurice Roberge

HeatherShadlock

Registered
I have never done this personally, but my father looked into this. I believe he had to have a qualified approved inspector come out and assess the property. He was given a detailed list of what needed to be upgraded to be energy efficient. The cost was $100 and he could claim that cost back if he qualified for the rebate. I believe he had to have a certain percentage of energy saved after all repairs were done.
My suggestion would be to contact your power company and ask them to direct you, I believe that is the route my father took. Whenb all was said and done, he did not feel that it was worth it for him. But I personally would hunt out any funds when someone else is willing to put them out.
Go onto the AB government web page and search energy rebates.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi Ryan

Here is a link to a discussion regarding this very helpful Government program. There are steps that must be followed (of course, it is a government program and all) but in many cases it can be well worth it for a long term hold property.

Eco Retrofits Link

Good Luck!

Aneta

REIN Member
Information on federal programs http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/corporate/incentives.cfm?attr=0

For Ontario, province also offers rebate http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/index.cfm?fuse...on.homeretrofit This site has great FAQs listing examples of rebates (see Question 18)

CHMC also gives 10% rebate on mortgage loan insurance http://www.cmhc.ca/en/co/moloin/moloin_008.cfm
I called CHMC and got following clarification on the phone 1) You can apply for a refund anytime you own your home (obviously you would first need to do the pre-audit, do renos, and do post-audit demonstrating the minimum energy rating improvement they specify on website) 2)You can get refund as long as program is in place 3) You would most likely get a cheque in mail, rather than mortgage reduction (no complaints here...cash is always good!) One more thing I noted on the EcoEnergy audit program itself is that I think the renos have to be done within 18 months of the pre-audit. I think the pre and post audit total about $350. CHMC also has refund for purchasing new homes that are energy efficient. I haven`t personally used this program yet, but I am most definitely keeping it in mind when or if I do renos. Energy efficient homes are great resale value, in my opinion.
style_emoticons

Maximillion

Registered
Can you tell me the name of this organization. Is it ecoretrofits or another one. It can be tedious trying to locate these programs at times.

Vivian

QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Nov 30 2007, 11:16 AM)
Ryan,

I don't know about Alberta but here in Ontario the prov. gov't gives a generous rebate for those upgrades. This is a new program in the last 90 days. The owner must have an energy audit performed by a licensed private contractor to qualify - this is prior to any upgrades and costs 3 to $400. I just did it for my own home and will receive almost $1000 rebate on my new hi-efficiency furnace, less the cost of $400 audit. For windows we can receive up to $60 per window. Unfortunately I had 11 new windows installed this past spring before the program started and I get nothing in terms of rebate.
<

Ed R

blaine

Registered
Hi EveryoneHere is a complete list of all rebates available. This list was compiled by Alan Carson of Carson Dunlop & Associates, an engineering/property inspection company in Toronto.Alan took the time to fiqure out all the rebates offered by each level of goverment. We now provide this to all of our clients during a property inspection. Sorry about the format, I have it as a word document but couldn`t fiqure out how to attach it.Hope this helps.Blaine Saving Money While You Save The Planet!
By Alan Carson,
November 27, 2007

Saving energy now makes a lot more financial sense, because several levels of government and several utilities are participating.

Government & utility goals

• Reduce greenhouse gas emissions to help minimize climate change
  • Conserve energy and water

• Consumers` goals

• Minimize capital spending, as well as fuel and utility costs
    • Maximize home comfort
    • Do the right thing for the planet.

The goals are more closely aligned than ever before. The cornerstone is the ecoEnergy program, a Natural Resources Canada initiative. Significant cost savings are now available to Ontario homeowners. While there are many programs and incentives, this partial list includes the highlights that we believe provide the greatest return on investment.

Heating and cooling
      • $1,350:
      • 92% AFUE gas furnace with DC variable speed motor: $500 (Federal) plus $500 (Provincial) plus $100 from Enbridge plus $250 from Ontario Power Authority (Cool Savings Rebate)
      • $1,200:
      • 85% AFUE gas or oil boiler: $600 plus $600 plus $100 from Enbridge if gas
      • $1,000:
      • 85% AFUE oil furnace with DC variable speed motor: $500 plus $500$900
      • : Replace conventional air conditioner with high-efficiency air-conditioner: $200 plus $200 plus $500 from Ontario Power Authority (Cool Savings Rebate)

Note: Some equipment manufacturers also offer rebates.

Insulation

• $2,000:
    • Insulate all your basement walls up to R-23: $1000 plus $1000$1,600
    • : Insulate all your crawlspace walls up to R- 23: $800 plus $800$200
    • : Insulate the joist header space at the top of foundation walls$1,200:
    • Upgrade attic insulation from R-12 or less to R-50: $600 plus $600$1,200:
    • Upgrade flat or cathedral roof insulation from R-12 to R-28: $600 plus $600

Note: Smaller grants are available if existing insulation levels are higher, if you add less insulation or if you can only insulate in some areas.

Conserving water

• $160
  • : Replace toilet with low flush toilet: $50 plus $50 plus $60 from City of Toronto$175:
  • Replace toilet with dual flush toilet: $50 plus $50 plus $75 from City of Toronto (Dual flush toilets use different amounts of water for different types of waste.

No PST!

There is a PST rebate until January 2010 for renewable energy installations.[*]Energy Star appliances are subject to a retail sales tax exemption in Ontario from July 19, 2007 to July 20, 2008. This includes refrigerators, dishwashers, clothes washers, freezers, dehumidifiers, room air conditioners, and qualifying ENERGY STAR light bulbs and decorative light strings. Three step process:

[*]Step 1
: Get an energy audit. The cost is ~ $300. You get $150 rebate from the government. The report will tell you where you can save energy in your home. (Many suppliers are paying the cost of the audits.)[*]Step 2
: Make your improvements.[*]Step 3
: Get a second (verification) audit done. The cost is typically $150 and the auditor will help complete the grant application.

The fine print

• Maximum grants levels:
    • $5,000 - Ontario Ministry of Energy
    • $5,000 - Natural Resources Canada
  • The Cool Savings Rebate program from Ontario Power Authority is scheduled to end December 31, 2007.These numbers are for single-family homes. There are different numbers for multiple unit residential buildings.Equipment and appliances must meet certain energy standards. Lower grants are available for lesser equipment in some cases.

Where to go for the information you need

See the Natural Resources Canada (Federal) website at http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residential/personal/retrofit-homes/retrofit-qualify-grant.cfm?attr=4#eligible
See Ontario Ministry of Energy website at http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/index.cfm?fuse...trofit_faqs#q19For information on qualifying toilets from the federal and provincial perspective, go to http://www.veritec.ca/uploads/Map%2010th%20revised.pdf (test results start on page 16)For details on the City of Toronto toilet replacement program, see http://www.toronto.ca/watereff/flush/index.htm For information on rebates from the Ontario Power Authority - Cool Savings Rebate Program, go to http://www.everykilowattcounts.ca/HTML/residential.shtmlFor information on Energy Star appliances go to www.energystar.gc.ca Or www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/energystar/english/consumers/index.cfmFor information on Enbridge rebates, go to target="_blank">https://portal-plumprod.cgc.enbridge.com/po...Page&cached[*]=true&parentname=CommunityPage&parentid=0&in_hi_userid=2&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=285&PageID=0

Aneta

REIN Member
Thanks for the info Blaine. I hope that answers everyone`s questions.

Aneta

REIN Member
Here is a list from Environment Canada website of grants, rebates, discounts and other incentives available to help you use less energy, switch to renewable energy and produce less waste at home and on the road. You can choose your province and browse through the programs. There are some city specific programs that may not have been mentioned in the thread above.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/incitatifs-incentives/...p;submit=Search

gwasser

Registered
Recently, I arranged a new line of credit on my home to have some funds available for a future real estate purchase. Today I came across Rob Carrick`s Column regarding "Green Loans" - http://gold.globeinvestor.com/servlet/Arti...ws?back_url=yes

So since the new line of credit was with TD and I just installed a brand new shiny high efficiency furnace in my home, I thought I call the Financial Advisor at TD that arranged the line of credit. He was not aware of this new initiative but would check into it.

The TD financial advisor called back within minutes stating that green mortgages and credit lines are basically five year mortgages and that he was willing to change our arrangement if I desired so. HOWEVER, there is always a `however`! However, the green mortgage would be charging a higher rate than I already had, even after the `green discount`.

Just thought you guys would like to know.

workman

Registered
QUOTE (RyanTopley @ Nov 30 2007, 08:31 AM) Does anyone have any information on a program where the government provides a "rebate" for energy effiecient upgrades that you to an older property (EX/ upgrading frunace, changing windows, etc)? HOw do you apply for it and where can i find the qualifications involved?

Thanks
Ryan

Ryan

The program is called ECO Energy. If you do a Google search for Nature Resource of Canada web page. On that page you can find an adviser in your area. AmeriSpec Home Inspection Service is one of the better companies in most areas you can call them directly.

In order to apply you have to have an adviser inspect the home before and after the changes. The adviser will then apply for your rebates. Rebates are simple: furnace that 92% with a two stage motor $500, Attic Insulation to R-50 $600, windows & doors $30 per window or door, air tightness (control air leaks) up to $300, finish basements $500. This is a few of the upgradeable items the rest can be found on the following link http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residential/persona...alify-grant.cfm. Hope this helps good luck.

Jody Workman

rforgiel

REIN Member
I used the ecoEnergy program for a townhouse I have in Brantford.
You need to get an audit done of the home before doing the renovations by a registered energy auditor at a cost of $386. In Ontario the Provincial Government will provide some sort of a rebate on this cost. I understand they just got their systems working to cut these cheques but I have not seen it and my audit was in August.

When the renovations are complete you call the energy auditor back at a cost of $159 and he does one final audit to confirm what you have done. They file the report and the government will release your rebate. My final audit was December but I have not received my cheques yet. I will keep you updated on how this finally plays out.

Remember in Ontario the provincial government will match what the federal government is providing.
There is a cost to getting the audits completed so work that into your calculations.
If you are switching a furnace or air conditioning the HVAC contractors are advertising that they can get you the rebate back. I do not know how well that works. If they know you are going after an ecoEnergy rebate, they will typically add that rebate amount to their quote so be carefull and shop around.

If you need a good energy auditor in Hamilton/Brantford, let me know and I would be happy to forward on to you the company I used.

drew

Registered
Hi all,

To anyone who uses thes types of programs, just be sure to have all procedures done before a change in government occurs as the next govt could scrap the program and leave you hung out to dry.(this happened to me a few years ago)
style_emoticons
For that matter I suppose the current govt could do this also so get it done asap.

Andrew

DarrylKelly

Registered
QUOTE (RyanTopley @ Nov 30 2007, 10:31 AM)
Does anyone have any information on a program where the government provides a "rebate" for energy effiecient upgrades that you to an older property (EX/ upgrading frunace, changing windows, etc)? HOw do you apply for it and where can i find the qualifications involved?

Thanks

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

I just had an energy evaluation completed on a fixer upper in Calgary today.

First of all, thanks to REIN for introducing the ecoEnergy Retrofit program last summer at the all day workshop (I think). Every little bit helps! Especially if you are planning to add value through a renovation anyway. The key, as others have mentioned, is to get the initial inspection done before you start the project.

Unfortunately, the weakest part of the federal program is the grant for windows - $30 per rough opening. Windows / doors are obviously one of the greatest sources of heat loss and are often one of the higher cost items in a major renovation project. The Feds are also very stringent on the type of replacement window/door. They must have an Energy Star rating.

According to the inspector, the Stelmach gov't is going to announce a $200 subsidy for the cost of the inspections as part of their green plan. Inspectors have been instructed to brief their clients on this, but I couldn't find anything official on the gov't website or in the Herald / Journal as of today.

As others have mentioned, and the inspector reiterated, Ontario and some of the eastern provincial governments match the $ funded by the federal program. Not the case here in Alberta!

Perhaps we can get some of that budget surplus directed here. Good for the environment, cheaper utility bills for tenants, more of an incentive for property owners to add value, and a great eco friendly feature when you sell.

We should write our Alberta MLAs!

Darryl

ccameron

Registered
QUOTE (DarrylKelly @ Apr 2 2008, 06:45 PM)
Do you know if Ontario has any such programs?

Hey Ryan,

I just had an energy evaluation completed on a fixer upper in Calgary today.

First of all, thanks to REIN for introducing the ecoEnergy Retrofit program last summer at the all day workshop (I think). Every little bit helps! Especially if you are planning to add value through a renovation anyway. The key, as others have mentioned, is to get the initial inspection done before you start the project.

Unfortunately, the weakest part of the federal program is the grant for windows - $30 per rough opening. Windows / doors are obviously one of the greatest sources of heat loss and are often one of the higher cost items in a major renovation project. The Feds are also very stringent on the type of replacement window/door. They must have an Energy Star rating.

According to the inspector, the Stelmach gov't is going to announce a $200 subsidy for the cost of the inspections as part of their green plan. Inspectors have been instructed to brief their clients on this, but I couldn't find anything official on the gov't website or in the Herald / Journal as of today.

As others have mentioned, and the inspector reiterated, Ontario and some of the eastern provincial governments match the $ funded by the federal program. Not the case here in Alberta!

Perhaps we can get some of that budget surplus directed here. Good for the environment, cheaper utility bills for tenants, more of an incentive for property owners to add value, and a great eco friendly feature when you sell.

We should write our Alberta MLAs!

Darryl

Aneta

REIN Member
QUOTE (Aneta @ Dec 3 2007, 01:15 PM) Information on federal programs http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/corporate/incentives.cfm?attr=0

For Ontario, province also offers rebate http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/index.cfm?fuse...on.homeretrofit This site has great FAQs listing examples of rebates (see Question 18)

CHMC also gives 10% rebate on mortgage loan insurance http://www.cmhc.ca/en/co/moloin/moloin_008.cfm
I called CHMC and got following clarification on the phone 1) You can apply for a refund anytime you own your home (obviously you would first need to do the pre-audit, do renos, and do post-audit demonstrating the minimum energy rating improvement they specify on website) 2)You can get refund as long as program is in place 3) You would most likely get a cheque in mail, rather than mortgage reduction (no complaints here...cash is always good!) One more thing I noted on the EcoEnergy audit program itself is that I think the renos have to be done within 18 months of the pre-audit. I think the pre and post audit total about $350. CHMC also has refund for purchasing new homes that are energy efficient. I haven`t personally used this program yet, but I am most definitely keeping it in mind when or if I do renos. Energy efficient homes are great resale value, in my opinion.

Just wanted to let REIN members know that this program works! I have successfully completed an ECO reno and have had cheques pour in from the federal government, (ECOenergy audit) provincial government (Ontario matches the feds), municipal government (Toronto gives you rebate on low flow toilets and washing machines) and CHMC. To my surprise CHMC not only gave me 10% back on the insurance fee but completely re-imbursed me on the amortization premium beyond 25 years! The money is out there, you just have to know where to look

markl

Registered
Hi Aneta, congrats I should have gotten a CMHC mortgage oh well I have chq`s in the mail. They say by mid march. When did you complete our audit vs when did you receive your $$$?

Regards,

surfermoe

Registered
My wife and I used the federal ecoEnergy program and Ontario matching program to get $5,000 back on our residential reno. Well worth the effort, I`d say!

I`ve mentioned this in another post, but will mention it again here: check out www.ShowMeTheGreen.ca . It has a searchable database of government grants for homeowners (and many of those grants apply to investment properties).

Moe

Top Bottom