Finally received the keys on our first investment property but.......

Miglinieks

Registered
Apr 16, 2012
Edmonton
My wife and I have finally made the move to buying investment properties. It was not an easy journey getting the first property. It feels good to finally have made the move forward. Thanks to this forum and Don Campbell's books I read. They all helped alot.

We went to pick the keys up yesterday and the Seller left all his furniture, garbage basically everything in the townhouse. How can this be stopped in the future. Will adding cleaning as a condition solve the issue?

Thanks to all you people on the forums for helping me acheive the first of many, many more properties to come:)

Dave R

housingrental

Registered
Oct 10, 2007
Waterloo
Final walk through in offer day prior to close

Contract your lawyer with quote for removal and cleaning to ask for contact with sellers lawyer for payment

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Oct 22, 2007
Edmonton
www.qdhomequest.com
Agreed, but I would use a 48-hour walk-through. "Buyer reserves the right to view/inspect the property 48 hours before closing." (Or something to that effect.) I also like the "professionally cleaned" term.

That way, if there is a big pile of crap, you can alert your lawyer before closing and he can deal with it.

Don't expect to get reimbursement now. We bought a house where the sellers cracked a toilet (no idea how) and backed into the garage the day before closing. Cost us several hundred dollars to fix. Even though they admitted that they did it, they never paid for it.

scoopert2000

Registered
Apr 4, 2011
Always make a closing day walk thru a condtion. I just had it happen last month. It was a bank repo that was full of junk from a former tenant. As it was to be "vacant possession" as a another condtion, we told them to clean it up that day or give us 2000 off the price. Took some pictures and sent them along as well. A hour later we had 2000$ and a set of keys.

I love pushing a bank around for once. And this all took place the day of closing. They wined wiggled and screamed but I held firm and had a good RE agent write the offer so i was covered.

Stewart Cooper

scoopert2000

Registered
Apr 4, 2011
Its part of the " Agreement of purchase and sale" thats used here. Common clauses Section 10 (b) . In short you have the right to inspect, pre closing, to confirm the ppty is the same condition as the day you wrote the offer.

Section 4 covers closing date and " vacant possession" which I did not have due to all the stuff left behind by the tenants.

To answer your question they are both listed as clauses on the agreement. They can be left in or voided as needed