Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Financing Advice

Merriora

Registered
Hello

1st time poster. I`ve read the Real Estate Investing in Canada and am nearly finished the 97 tips book. Both are great books and I feel that I have learned a lot and want to get started in investing. I am currently on my 3rd buy-renovate-and-sell home in the Vancouver area, and now feel ready to get into the rental aspect of real estate. (Definitely looking to purchase a rental outside the Vancouver area due to our extremely high prices here)

The Vancouver area has been great for creating equity in a short period allowing me to pay off some large school loans while still leaving me with 25% equity, however, my family and I would like to purchase a larger home. To do this, we will need to spend approx. $510,000 to get a basic starter home (1800 sq ft) in our area (15-20 years old in need of renovations). We currently have one of the smaller houses in the area (1100 sq ft) and will sell for approx. $425,000 - $440,000 in the spring once all renovations are completed.

We are thinking about purchasing our main home with another relative (family) who would own 1/3 - 1/4 share in the house allowing us to get a newer larger home with a decent sized lot (5,000 sq ft) which would cost us around $590,000 - $620,000. By partnering with another family in our main house purchase, it would allow us to have some left over equity to put towards investments. If we purchased a $510,000 home on our own, we would probably need to borrow a small amount to put towards the down payment (to get 25%).

Assumptions:

1. Partner with 2nd person to purchase main home
2. $600,000 purchase price
3. 20% downpayment
4. Portion of Mortgage $2,200/month (2/3rds)

Questions:

1. By partnering with someone else on my main house purchase, would I then have issues getting a 2nd investment mortgage. (I am assuming they would not be able to use my main house to secure any additional mortgages or LOC`s???)
2. When we sold (est. 5 years), would the house still be considered a personal residence for tax purposes? (ie: Wont have to pay capital gains)

3. Any advice and/or warnings in purchasing your main home with a 2[sup]nd[/sup] person in regards to financial or future investing issues?

Any advice or comments are welcome and appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

RobMacdonald

Registered
Hi Robert,

I don`t see really any issues with your strategy. You`re sacrificing, so to speak, in one area for a short time, in order to benefit in another.

1. You would not be able to use your equity in your principal residence, unless all titleholders agree to sign off on the mortgage/LOC. It`s not possible just to leverage `your` equity.

2. There would not be any capital gains as this house is your principal residence.

3. Your strategy could work slightly against you if you purchase too high. Any mortgage you apply for one a rental property, the lender will use your whole prinicipal residence mortgage payment against your debt service ratios. So depending on your qualifying criteria, that could be a problem.

I hope that helps.

Rob Macdonald
General Manager
604-939-8326

Merriora

Registered
QUOTE (RobMacdonaldCMT @ Nov 16 2007, 10:29 PM) 3. Your strategy could work slightly against you if you purchase too high. Any mortgage you apply for one a rental property, the lender will use your whole prinicipal residence mortgage payment against your debt service ratios. So depending on your qualifying criteria, that could be a problem.

Hello Rob

Thanks for your feedback....This is something that I had not considered, but a very valid point and something to strongly consider.

Top Bottom