Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fire certification for triplex??? need help

jimcurran

Registered
I'm looking at a triplex in Ontario and am told that you can get a fire certificate without an electrical inspection.

This is what I was sent.

"In terms of the fire certificate, he says with a duplex an electrical certificate is required before the fire certificate. With triplex, an electrical certificate is only required if the fire department requests it because of a problem they find. "

Is there any truth to this? Seems odd to me that you would need an electrical for a duplex but not a triplex???

dplummer

Registered
I just sold my duplex in Collingwood ON. Fire Dept inspected. Had to install 1 sprinkler head in the room with the boiler. No charge for the inspection & issued certificate once they checked work. No mention of a electrical inspection.

Al Verwey

Registered
I'm currently renovating the third unit of my triplex in Ontario and applying to the Town to change its designation from Duplex to Multi-Unit. I'm doing it all with permits and inspections and have found that the local fire inspector is very accommodating to give advice along the way and interpretaion of the Building Code and regulations as it applies to fire safety requirements.

My advice is to contact the local fire inspector and ask instead of soliciting a bunch of possibly incorrect opinions here. Each town or city has their own zoning and property standards and the Ontario Building Code is the guiding document for all of them. If your property is currently zoned for a triplex and the local municipality recognizes it as a triplex, then you just need a building permit (if doing renovations) and then a sign-off by the fire and building inspectors. Either of them or the town rules may require an ESA Certificate of inspection.

Top Bottom