Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fire Code

rezasal

Registered
Hi Folks,

I`m looking at a deal in the Hamilton area and currently it does not meet the fire codes required for a Triplex. Couple of questions:

1. Should I move forward with the deal and deduct the cost of conversion from the purchase price? or should I have the seller take care of that before going forward?

2. If I was to deduct the conversion cost from the purchase price, how much should I deduct? what will the cost of converting be for me in the future or even now?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

gregA

Registered
This depends on many things - as I am learning first hand with my own hamilton conversion project...
Is it a legal triplex (or legal non-conforming) to begin with? If so, then getting a fire retrofit certificate requires you to comply with fire code only - assuming it`s a triplex in an older home, your biggest issues will be number and type of exits from each floor, fire ratings of existing walls & ceilings that seperate the units, smoke alarms, and entry doors and closures.

If it is not legal usage, then you either hope the city doesn`t find out, or you go the legitimate way and deal with zoning variances and file for a change of use building permit with the city. This will require compliance with building code - which will be more strict than fire retrofit requirements.

Both directions have the potential to cost you a lot
of time and money - depending on the existing layout and condition of the units.

PM me if you want more info on my experiences with this...

Greg.

Top Bottom