Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fire

Tony Miller

Ottawa's Investor Focused Realtor
Registered
One of my tenants called early this afternoon and told me that a fire destroyed the unit's kitchen. The tenant turned on the wrong stove burner and the oil that was in a pan on the heated burner turned into flames.

Thank God nobody was hurt. The poor tenant (who is pregnant) was visibly shaken and had a sore throat (I assume from breathing in the smoke and fumes) so we recommended that she see her doctor.

When she saw the fire, she ran upstairs and yelled for the upstairs tenants (it is a duplex) to help. Fortunately, the upstairs tenants kept their cool and used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. There is no doubt that the upstairs tenants saved the building from burning down. The upstairs tenants told me that their smoke alarms started ringing and they were looking around their unit for any sign of smoke but didn't find any - and then they heard their neighbor screaming!

In addition to smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, I give all of my tenants fire extinguishers for their kitchens. This is a practice that I will obviously continue! The fire caused about 7K in damages but the material "things" can be replaced.

I would like to give a gift to the upstairs tenants to thank them for their actions. Is this a good idea? Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of gift? Should I give them a free month's rent? Gift card? Maybe nothing at all?

Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Tony

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
I would give them a gift card for a dinner out, with your deep appreciation.

Installing fire extinquishers in rental kitchens is a great idea. I have never thought of installing them in a rental kitchen, even though I have had two kitchen fires in my own kitchen (without any damage). This story reinforces the logic for doing so.

orei

Registered
I second the idea of a dinner out. I would avoid the "months free rent" option.

This is a great reminder that fire prevention / protection should be VERY high on investors list of priorities. Remember to test those fire extinguishers and maintain a log to show that your doing your part....

LAndersen

Registered
I would definitely give them a gift card for a night out and some flowers with my deepest thanks. Here is a different question, who's insurance pays for something like this?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=TonyMiller]Is this a good idea?

yes, it is a good idea !!

maybe a fancy dinner ?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=LAndersen]who's insurance pays for something like this?

the house owner's.

They may then in turn sue the tenant who caused it.

Tony Miller

Ottawa's Investor Focused Realtor
Registered
Thanks everyone for your responses!

I will go with the gift card idea.

Cheers

Tony

Top Bottom