Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

first post by me-- some insight...

acurAspec

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum recently and am looking forward to many years of advancement within real estate through REIN.

About me: I own a triplex in the KW area that I purchased 15 months ago and so far so good. I had an issue with a tenant in the winter time where she laid down a story that she slipped on my icy stairs and cracked ribs-- but didn't want to sue me. I got scared initially but all she wanted was two more months of free rent... she gave me her notice already and I used her last month's rent but her new place at her son's house wasnt ready yet and she would need to buy time... so she thoguht she would do this to me but had no funds as she was being drained financially due to the renovations I assume. Being new to renting I agreed to give her two months of free rent to stop all troubles and end any issues. I really had no leverage as I hear that tenants can go months without paying. I sell cars at the local dealership so I get to talk to many successful people and their advice was to just give her the two months and forget about this incident and be more careful in the future-- so I did.

The old tenants that were there when I bought the triplex have now moved out and the new ones are good so far. I found that screening them and doing some talking before signing paperwork allowed me to choose and pick good ones so I'm pretty happy with my choices...

Lately though my one tenant has taken a cat in with excuses that it's his friend's and that i'ts just temporary since some plans backfired so now he is "stuck" with it for the time being. it's been stretching on for two months as I keep telling him that it's a no pet zone. Should i be freaking out really though?

Whats everyone's opinion on pets? Have most of you decided that cats are pretty worry free? or have you decided that no pets means no pets... I refused a dog living there which is pretty reasonable but a cat would just hunt for house centipedes anyways i think :) It's a '58 triplex and it gets some bugs in the summer time i find.

Thanks for the insight!

Sasha

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Pets are fine if well behaved ... Secured by a pet lease and add'l damage deposit.

Avoid very large potentially dangerous pets or more than 2 small ones !

Mike Milovick

Registered
Note that damage deposits are illegal in Ontario where Sasha operates.

I do not permit pets in my building - especially cats. You have relief under Residential Tenancy Act if you or someone in the building is allergic - or if the pet is causing interference to other tenants' reasonable enjoyment of their premises (i.e. barking). In either case, you can ask the tenant to have the pet removed. And you can follow with a formal application at the Landlord Tenant Board.

Note that having a pet is a legal reason to decline a tenant's rental application in Ontario; HOWEVER, once they move in, they are permitted to obtain a pet. Most leases say "no pet" - but this clause is voidable.

If you secure a damage deposit and are challenged at Landlord Tenant Board, you will lose and could face abatement and fines.

Top Bottom