Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Flex Mortgages - US Real Estate

Mike Milovick

Registered
Investors;

I always watch with casual interest the real estate happenings in the States. Apparently, I missed a recent segment on 60 Minutes in the last three weeks concerning "flex mortgages" in the US - an up and coming issue that apparently makes the sub-prime crisis look like small potatoes.

A lot of the information received at REIN in the last six months seems to hinge on the idea that February, 2009 will be a bottoming of US real estate valuations. Now, I am not so sure.

With these flex mortgages coming due this year(?) - and I heard there may also be a second type of garbage mortgage coming due as well - does anyone have any info in terms of the effect of these type of mortgages on valuations?

Any assistance and explanation would be really appreciated.

Mike

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (MikeMilovick @ Jan 8 2009, 08:11 AM)
effect of these type of mortgages on valuations?

a flex-mortgage is a tool .. that can be abused.

Should bread knifes be banned from all kitchens, as I can use it to slice bread or kill someone ?

My thoughts here on US real estate valuations: http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-9062-Inflation_-_a_Cure_all_for_US_Real_Estate_Values.html

Basically a supply shock of capital to inflate real estate values in US $s UP .. so that people feel richer and more secure .. will likely take hold sometime later in 2009 or 2010 .. as it takes a while for all that extra money supply to pump through the system ..

RichardBourne

Registered
[quote name=`MikeMilovick` date=`Jan 8 2009, 10:11 AM` post=`47336`]
Investors;

I always watch with casual interest the real estate happenings in the States. Apparently, I missed a recent segment on 60 Minutes in the last three weeks concerning "flex mortgages" in the US - an up and coming issue that apparently makes the sub-prime crisis look like small potatoes.

Here is a youtube link to that 60 Minutes story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlBJavw_X4&NR=1

housingrental

Registered
Video is a time waster. They`re using current default rates for extrapolation to model. Inflation will cure all.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 10 2009, 04:13 PM) Video is a time waster. They`re using current default rates for extrapolation to model. Inflation will cure all.

Someone last night who is NOT
a RE investor said to me a statement that sums it up:
We get too much information

housingrental

Registered
I like this post
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jan 10 2009, 06:45 PM) Someone last night who is NOT
a RE investor said to me a statement that sums it up:
We get too much information

OlegP

Registered
Fortune magazine (Special issue) is available on the shelves right now. It has a section with the Real Estate value forecasts for 100 different US markets. You might find it helpful.

Top Bottom