Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Garage Suites

tim944s

Registered
Morning

I am currently looking at building a garage suite here in Edmonton. I have gone through many resources from the www.edmonton.ca website, but I would like some input from the members here about their experiences with garage suites (above and at grade) if any. Specifically:

1) The approximate time for approval from the city once the application process has started
2) Typical building costs from start to finish. (I have some current plans and estimates)

I would love to be able to purchase single family dwellings but I do not want to find myself in a position of banking on a garage suite for cash flow, only to find out that I cannot due to city approval or appeal from neighbours.

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

Tim

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Greetings Tim.
My experience is with basement suites, but I may be able to help with the permit question.

For the suite on a corner lot, we received the permits within 3 weeks in February of 2009. However, for suites not on corner lots and with no service road, applications for secondary suites (and likely garage suites as well) must go through the appeal process (letters to the neighbours). These permits took four months
in the fall of 2009. You should be able to call 311 to verify the zoning requirements for garage suites, but I would think that the qualifications would be the same as far as which locations are "automatically approved."

It may be wise to speak to the neighbours before making an offer to see if they would allow the suite. For instance, if there have been parking issues on that street, the neighbours could have a valid appeal and could quash the whole thing. Better to find out in advance.

If you have permission from the vendor to make enquiries and to enter the property for inspections, floor plans, and estimates, then you may be able to apply for permits before closing. We did, and the contractors were able to start the day after closing.

Since my experience is with upgrading existing suites, I cannot answer the cost question.

Regards,
Sherilynn

brentdavies

Registered
Make your offer subject obtaining approval for the development from the city. Then it is not a risk for you. But will the vendor wait 4 months for an approval?

Very common strategy on industrial and commericial property.

Top Bottom