Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Getting a new furnace in Edmonton

Nicola

Registered
Hi,
Our furnance in one of our sf houses in Edmonton is on its last legs. I think we need to get a new one installed. Approximately how much should this cost (including installation) - for a mid-efficiency or high-efficiency furnace?

Is there any advantage to getting a high-efficiency furnace? (I realize of course it saves on energy costs). The tenants are paying utilities (and even a mid-efficiency would likely save them a fair bit).

I`ve checked out the government rebate, but it seems Alberta only rebates $500 for a high-efficiency furnance (unless you are low income) and you have to pay $400 for an energy audit first. Is this correct?

Any recommendations for a good furnace person in Edmonton? Also, I saw on another thread that someone mentioned you can ask for a "scratch & dent" model. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!
Nicola

RogerPanchuk

Registered
We had a furnace installed in a condo in Edmonton last spring. The cost was about $2000-2200, The price depends on how hard it is to run new fresh air and combustion air supply, older homes may not have this.If the basement is developed it can be difficult. I coudn`t easily find my invoice but I think this is the right number 780 417- 3844

Ready4Rent

Registered
Average we have seen for a high-eff is around 3500. Depends a lot on venting and existing duct work

John

invst4profit

Registered
I have heard that cost/efficiency wise the the increased cost for a high efficiency in regards to pay back is not worth the investment. In the case of tenants paying utilities there is no direct pay back for owner.
Recommendation is to go mid efficiency especially in the case of tenants paying utilities. This should still reduce heating costs for tenants with a reduced expense to owner. Win/win.

Nicola

Registered
Thanks everyone,
I think a mid-efficiency is the way to go. It`s an old house (1912) but obviously the furnace is newer...
Roger, is it more difficult with a finished basement because it`s harder to get at the air supply?

Nicola

Top Bottom