Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Getting rid of a roommate

Goodstuff

Registered
I want to get rid of a "roommate".
In addition to my properties, I live in a house and rent rooms out to help pay the mortgage.
I`ve got one roommate that I want to get rid of.
He pays rent on time, doesn`t damage anything, but is very annoying in ways.

I spoke with the Landlord and Tenant people and they told me that because the contract doesn`t fall under the Residential Tenancy Act (roommate situations don`t fall under the Act) that I am free to kick him out any time I wish with no repurcussions.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I want to tell him to leave and probably will give him at least a month to do so but am worried that he`ll try to sue me for not having sufficient reason or not enough notice, etc.

Thoughts?

sstokes

REIN Member
That is true in BC, at least. Situations where you`re renting out a room in your personal home do not fall under the rules and regulations of the RTA. You are even permitted to discriminate.......for example, accept only females, if you wish. I have discriminated based on sex (and was offered the `helpful` advice from a male who was turned down that I might get into trouble with someone who wanted to argue the point...he was mistaken). But don`t be surprised if someone tries to tell you that you can`t.

So the usual rules about deposits, giving notice, selecting appliants, etc. don`t apply in roommate situations.

wealthyboomer

Registered
QUOTE (Goodstuff @ Jul 19 2010, 12:38 AM) I want to get rid of a "roommate".
In addition to my properties, I live in a house and rent rooms out to help pay the mortgage.
I`ve got one roommate that I want to get rid of.
He pays rent on time, doesn`t damage anything, but is very annoying in ways.

I spoke with the Landlord and Tenant people and they told me that because the contract doesn`t fall under the Residential Tenancy Act (roommate situations don`t fall under the Act) that I am free to kick him out any time I wish with no repurcussions.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I want to tell him to leave and probably will give him at least a month to do so but am worried that he`ll try to sue me for not having sufficient reason or not enough notice, etc.

Thoughts?

Roommate situations generally fall under the `Innkeepers act`, which means Yes, you are free to kick him out.

Top Bottom