Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Getting smoke smell out

ohsofrugal

Registered
My neighbours had a basement fire and although my property wasn`t harmed (it`s a semi-detached), it still permeates of that smoke smell. This was only yesterday and the windows have been opened since but I`m wondering if there are any quick yet effective ways I can get rid of it? The house doesn`t have any carpeting, just hardwood. Thanks in advance.

dplummer

Registered
QUOTE (ohsofrugal @ Oct 13 2009, 03:07 PM) My neighbours had a basement fire and although my property wasn`t harmed (it`s a semi-detached), it still permeates of that smoke smell. This was only yesterday and the windows have been opened since but I`m wondering if there are any quick yet effective ways I can get rid of it? The house doesn`t have any carpeting, just hardwood. Thanks in advance.
Their Insurance Co should look after this for you. Have the Restoration Co. install a ozone machine in your home. You MUST vacate while this is being done. You will still get some residual odour until the source (their basement) is cleaned up.

Doug

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (ohsofrugal @ Oct 13 2009, 03:07 PM) My neighbours had a basement fire and although my property wasn`t harmed (it`s a semi-detached), it still permeates of that smoke smell. This was only yesterday and the windows have been opened since but I`m wondering if there are any quick yet effective ways I can get rid of it? The house doesn`t have any carpeting, just hardwood. Thanks in advance.
Contact him .. he has to pay for it .. or his insurance !

Get an OZONATOR .. or better: a firm that does this kind of remediation work. Ozonators come in various strength .. I had a house ozonated a few years ago that I thought was a complete write-off .. and with an aggressive Type 2 Ozone it was gone after the 3rd treatment !!

He may have to throw out a lot of pillows, blankets, carpets .. but the type 2 stuff gets rid of the smell in wood too !!

Thus he should start on his property first, then yours !

ohsofrugal

Registered
Seems like the ozonator is the way to go. I haven`t had a chance to get in touch with my neighbour yet but I will. We don`t have the best relationship so I don`t know how receptive he`ll be for paying even though it is his responsibility. Assuming he isn`t, what recourse do I have?

Should I approach my insurance company to go after them? Approach his insurance directly? Is this an issue for small claims (in which case I wouldn`t bother) etc., just swallow the bill?

dplummer

Registered
QUOTE (ohsofrugal @ Oct 15 2009, 08:00 PM) Seems like the ozonator is the way to go. I haven`t had a chance to get in touch with my neighbour yet but I will. We don`t have the best relationship so I don`t know how receptive he`ll be for paying even though it is his responsibility. Assuming he isn`t, what recourse do I have?

Should I approach my insurance company to go after them? Approach his insurance directly? Is this an issue for small claims (in which case I wouldn`t bother) etc., just swallow the bill?
Approach your neighbor first. You could call your Insurance Co however it will show as a claim on your policy even if they collect from your neighbor`s Insurance Co. Not fair I know. I`m sure were not talking a lot of money for the ozone treatment probably $ 500.00 or less.

Doug

MikeSunley

Registered
If things don`t work out with your neighbour`s restoration company/insurance send me a note; I`m in the odour removal business and dealing with smoke (cigarette, cigar, pot et al, house fire, camping fire, kitchen fire...) issues is my bread and butter. I`ve been working on a ship-able, consumable packet that should provide better results than ozone and I`d be happy to work something out with you in exchange for your feedback.

BTW, ozone should be effective but there is no such thing as Type 2 Ozone (unless it`s some kind of trademarked marketing effort)

-Mike

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (MikeSunley @ Oct 16 2009, 09:11 AM) ..

BTW, ozone should be effective but there is no such thing as Type 2 Ozone (unless it`s some kind of trademarked marketing effort)
type 2 as in "more aggressive ozone" .. and bigger machine .. that`s the term the remediation firm used .. might have been "lingo" !!

MikeSunley

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Oct 16 2009, 11:07 AM) type 2 as in "more aggressive ozone" .. and bigger machine .. that`s the term the remediation firm used .. might have been "lingo" !!

I`m IICRC certified and ozone is ozone I`m afraid; although I do understand where they`re coming from. The equipment we use is commercial grade and the levels of O3 we work with go way beyond the limits of the units people would usually buy or rent. That said it can be difficult to explain to someone how what we have to offer goes beyond being slightly superior and actually becomes the only option for a true resolution. Saturating an area and it`s contents with such an unstable gas can be tricky but it can be practically impossible if you have the wrong equipment or don`t know how to use it. Don`t get me started on the other technologies and tools we use!

Maybe I`ll start using the Type 2 Ozone as well

tcarlson

REIN Member
QUOTE (MikeSunley @ Oct 16 2009, 03:26 PM) I`m IICRC certified and ozone is ozone I`m afraid; although I do understand where they`re coming from. The equipment we use is commercial grade and the levels of O3 we work with go way beyond the limits of the units people would usually buy or rent. That said it can be difficult to explain to someone how what we have to offer goes beyond being slightly superior and actually becomes the only option for a true resolution. Saturating an area and it`s contents with such an unstable gas can be tricky but it can be practically impossible if you have the wrong equipment or don`t know how to use it. Don`t get me started on the other technologies and tools we use!

Maybe I`ll start using the Type 2 Ozone as well

Mike, what are options for Odor removal in the Calgary to Red Deer Corridor?

Topqualityinspections

Registered
QUOTE (tcarlson @ Nov 25 2009, 12:07 AM) Mike, what are options for Odor removal in the Calgary to Red Deer Corridor?Top Quality Inspections Inc. is one option for Calgary to Red Deer.
Ozone (O[sub]3 ) is sometimes referred to as “Activated Oxygen
”, “Triatomic Oxygen
” or “Super Oxygen
”. It contains three atoms of oxygen (O[sub]3 [/sub]) rather than the two in the air that we breathe (O2 [/sub]). Keeping in mind Ozone is Ozone.

Our O3 Ozone Training was through a gentlemen named Mike Howard, he is an Ozone Blasting and Training Expert, he has achieved success in IAC2(International Association of Certified Indoor Air Consultants) Designation and Certification.

Top Quality Inspections Inc. also has certification with IAC2.

Regards,

Top Quality Inspections Inc.
www.topqualityinspections.com

Top Bottom