Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Good tenants

EdRenkema

Registered
I never thought I would be in this situation but here I am.
I have a tenant in a townhouse in Hamilton since January who is working out well. The problem is the nieghbour across the street who I`ve heard complaints about since I purchased the condo, all the neighbours are aware of this and the police have been called. He is a young man with young kids who frequently uses profane language and gestures and even exposes himself to the women and children only. My tenant has 2 young boys 8 and 4 yrs old and they want to repeat everything the guy does. He also has an adult daughter who has called me herself to complain about these incidents. My tenant called me today to complain that the incidents have not stopped or even slowed since the police were called and he is already expressing a desire to move away. They are immigrants with 2 young adopted children which apparently came from an abusive home and they are very protective of them. This situation could very easily escalate into something very bad.

What is the most proactive thing I can do??

invst4profit

Registered
Pressure the police to lay charges. They generally have more serious issues to deal with so you may have to push very hard.

In my opinion your tenant is unfortunately a secondary issue as the problem will exist regardless of the tenant. Is he on contract or month to month? Explain to him that he can not simply walk away from the lease. Tell him that you will do everything you can but he must also report the guy to the police every time there is a issue.

If they get enough calls they will eventually take action.

RandyDalton

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jun 12 2009, 01:56 PM) I never thought I would be in this situation but here I am.
I have a tenant in a townhouse in Hamilton since January who is working out well. The problem is the nieghbour across the street who I`ve heard complaints about since I purchased the condo, all the neighbours are aware of this and the police have been called. He is a young man with young kids who frequently uses profane language and gestures and even exposes himself to the women and children only. My tenant has 2 young boys 8 and 4 yrs old and they want to repeat everything the guy does. He also has an adult daughter who has called me herself to complain about these incidents. My tenant called me today to complain that the incidents have not stopped or even slowed since the police were called and he is already expressing a desire to move away. They are immigrants with 2 young adopted children which apparently came from an abusive home and they are very protective of them. This situation could very easily escalate into something very bad.

Hi Ed,

I would definitely make sure the tenant has the local police stations number, and other necessary phone numbers, on a sheet and taped to the wall right by the phone. Keep reminding him he needs to call the police on every incident, not you. I would also go to the police station and ask them what can be done and how can you help. They may have many suggestions on how you can help them solve the problem but you may have to be creative with them to get the ball rolling.

Example. My home in Keswick is seeing an increase in crime in the neighbourhood. This occurs every summer with the local high school students off for the summer and very, very bored. One of my neighbours wants to install video cameras to help the police catch the culprits and I immediately offered to help him by purchasing the equipment in the US where costs are much cheaper and help him with installation.

Just my two cents worth...Randy D.

jwilbrin

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jun 12 2009, 11:56 AM) I never thought I would be in this situation but here I am.

Definitely take Greg and Randy`s advice about consistently calling the police. I would also do a title search on the property to see who owns it and what there contact information is. If he is renting the place you will definitely want to contact his landlords and advise them of the situation. If there are landlords involved put pressure on them to resolve the situtation.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (jwilbrin @ Jun 14 2009, 05:59 PM) Definitely take Greg and Randy`s advice about consistently calling the police. I would also do a title search on the property to see who owns it and what there contact information is. If he is renting the place you will definitely want to contact his landlords and advise them of the situation. If there are landlords involved put pressure on them to resolve the situtation.

I was there last night, went to the police station, they simply said they need to be called every time. My tenants, specifically the wife is scared since this guy was threatening her and her kids. She loves living there and takes great care of my house but she was sitting there literally crying explaining how she works hard, has a nice home and wants to come home but not to this terrifying situation. This guy lives across the street within the complex, so about 30 ft away and eats all his meals on his front porch and stares at their house. He is an owner, not a tenant but apparently the house is in his wife`s name since she works, he doesn`t and he has a prison record.

How can one loser have the whole neighbourhood under his thumb??
Easy he is getting away with what he is doing until he does something provable that is against the law. Or until someone does something to him and it is coming to that. The police are literally tired of going down there. This is not an isolated situation, many other neighbours have had confrontations with him but he`s still getting away with it after several years.
The property management company is getting involved but they need documentation and a paper trail.

billf

Registered
Hi Ed,

If you lose the tenant for this specific reason I wonder if you take this person to small claims court for damages. You have evidence and witnesses, ask your lawyer if it is possible and if it is, threaten him with it, before it gets worse. He is destroying your business, and damaging the personal enjoyment of property of others.

Good Luck,

Bill

Top Bottom