Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Good to see so many people march against GMO,S

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
Its a little off topic but I am so happy to see people are protesting this evil corporation monsanto. It was a huge world wide protest that received little to no media attention. Hopefully we can have some change soon and know what we are eating by the labeling of GMO foods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUd9rRSLY4A

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
There are pro's and con's of genetically modified food.

What is missing is better education of consumers of the benefits and disadvantages of genetically modified food.

Labeling a corporation as "evil" is a stretch as it provides consumer benefits, too.

Oil pipelines are also often labelled evil, or nuclear energy companies, or the "tar sands" or the entire automobile industry or airline firms. Should be therefore abolish oil, cars and airplanes ?

Any progress, any medicine, any technology, any major biological or chemical invention has benefits and side effects.

Let's not look only at the side effects, as we would still be living in caves, but at benefits too. Then we can make a more balanced decision.

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
I agree that oil pipelines and nuclear energy companies provide consumer benefits to and I would never call Monsanto evil if it did provide benefits to consumers that outweighed the negatives.

The fact is they dont and anyone who educates themselves on this company will realize that there has not been any benefits to mankind. To relate this company to Oil pipelines or nuclear energy companies is in itself a stretch.

I encourage you to educate yourself on this company and what they are doing to this planet. Remember the lesson about killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Our earth is the goose that lays the golden egg providing us with all sorts of resources. One only has to look up this company on wikipedia to see that they are killing this goose.

have a look at the video link that i posted in my first post...its a good start.

Btw, I love real estate, I love investing, I love technology and I love this earth. Its only because I love this planet that I would encourage anyone to stay far away from this company. I would also encourage anyone who cares about there health to stay far away from them as well.

cheers

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Yes, I agree the risks of GM foods may not have been studied enough and that reduction in plant variety is an issue. But, to feed almost 9,000,000,000,000 people, many of whom do not have as much money as we do, food production capacity has to be increased dramatically, and GM food allows that. So, one benefit is less hungry people worldwide, at lower prices.

There are other benefits, like higher resistance to diseases and less pesticide usage.

I am not a food expert, but both sides of any technology ( and that is what I call GM food ) have to looked at. Sometimes benefits outweigh drawbacks, as may be the case here, or may be not. Like global warming, some countries, like Canada, benefit.

I need to hear more from both sides to be convinced that drawbacks outweigh benefits. Perhaps rich Westerners lose but poorer Africans or Asians win ?

I need more facts.

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
Its funny because Monsanto likes to promote the argument that their gm crops allow for higher food production. If this argument was true, why would you want more food laced with BT poison that causes leaky gut syndrom. BT causes grashoppers and other pests to die by there intestines exploding when they eat the crop...what do you think this will do to your gut? how is a higher production of poisoned food a benefit? I personally dont want any of these "benefits" on my plate at the dinner table.

All the studies of food production has shown that GM crops do worse then what nature has selected over thousands of years. Just look at what last years drought did to Americas corn crop last year. 97% of that (drought resistant) corn was GMO!

The truth is , higher food production to feed the world is not the issue as we know in north america over 50% of food is thrown away and wasted. The real problem is corrupt governments and transportation issues that stops the poor from receiving the vast amounts of food that the world can produce (without the "help" of GM crops)

As for pesticide usage this is another false claim. Each year farmers have had to up the dosage of roundup (glyphosphate) on GM crops to compensate for new roundup resistant super weeds. Monsanto is now in the process of getting federal approval to use agent orange on there new agent orange resistant soy and corn as glyphosphate is now becoming less and less effective. Roundup I may add has been shown to cause cancer in trace amounts. What benefits will agent orange provide us?

Many studies have shown that the traditional methods of growing food far surpass the false claims of this company. If this company was not evil they would promote labeling of there food so people could make an informed choice of what they eat.

RealtorDave

Registered
I truthfully find this an interesting discussion, but not one I know a lot about. Do you have links? I'd like to read more about this.

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
This website has great information on GM foods and Monsanto.

www.organicconsumers.org

Also rent the documentary "Food Inc." if you can. Your local library or video store should have it. This is a topic every one needs to know about as GM foods affect the health of everyone.

for a quick read copy and paste this... http://www.naturalnews.com/037289_Monsanto_corporations_ethics.html

Any comments by anyone on this article would be most welcome.

Top Bottom