Grande Prairie Property Management--The Continuing Saga

DianneDachyshyn

Registered
Well, who would have known after our first Quickstart in June, that property management would be the biggest fly in the investment ointment? I remember Don and Russell both telling us that we would make plenty of mistakes, that we should count on it and that we would learn some of our best lessons from our mistakes. I also vaguelly remember hearing that learning is often costly, but who really listens to that stuff when starting out?
Long story short: we bought three properties within one month of Quickstart and within three months of joining REIN. Our first two were in Grande Prairie. We took possession mid-August, and they have been vacant since. In previous posts I told the story of bad property management. The saga continues, because as yet, we have not found a workable solution.

I know that one company in GP has a reputation for billing owners for maintenance and cleaning that has never happened. I know from talking to many tenants that most of the companies rarely return tenants` phone calls or do maintenance in a timely fashion. I heard from another investor today that the company they have a contract with (his place has been vacant since September) told him that there have been a few "showings" of his place, but that they don`t know how they have gone because they just hand the keys to people who inquire and tell them to go see the place themselves! His house is a beautiful property with an attached garage and it sits unnoticed due to lousy management. What`s to keep someone from cutting keys and coming back one night after renters have moved in?

We have lost at least two families and possibly more prospective tenants that we have sent to two companies, never to be heard from again. We have made three trips north (we live in Edmonton) to show our place, put up signs, etc., but we can`t keep this up. We`ve considered managing our places ourselves, but it is very difficult from this distance, and we`re not sure that it `s a good idea even if we could make it work.

Don mentioned at the Edmonton meeting last night that we need answers to the property management problem in Grande Prairie. We really do. I`ve heard from several investors who tell a similar story, and we are all looking for a trustworthy management company who will do the job in Grande Prairie.

Does anyone out there have an answer?

On the positive side, we have learned so much this past little while. I can now write dynamite ads that really do get people`s attention. It`s a lot of fun and very rewarding to hear people call and say that they picked my ad out of pages of other ads. We now know how to question tenants on the phone and pre-screen them that way. We know how to show our place and how to not bother booking showings for certain people. We`ve learned the hard way what to look for in a management company, or shall I say, what to make sure isn`t there? Lastly, we learned that a person ought to line up a management company before
buying. Fundamentals aren`t enough if there is no management! That`s probably the biggest lesson that we have learned.

We worked hard to set up a team of professsionals before the purchase. We did it by the book: mortgage broker, lawyer, assessor, inspector, realtor, check, check, check, . . . When it came to a management company, we just took a referral and trusted that it would work. We didn`t even interview the first company. Mistake number one.

Once we rent these properties, we will move on to our next purchase, but guess what? We will find a management company first.

That`s my food for thought for today. Happy investing!

KMcFarlane

Registered
Hey Rascal,
Sorry to hear that it has been such a rough ride of late, but I`m sure things will turn around
style_emoticons
and in a few years you`ll have a great story to tell as you sip a maithai on a beach somewhere... I too was at the June quickstart and Im just working on my first property, I currently have no property managment in place as I want to gain some experience dealing with tenants ect... After reading your post, I see just how important it is too at least have good company in place
style_emoticons

One more positive: Thanks for the post you`ve for helped me & other newbies avoid a costly mistake.

Cheers,

RedlineBrett

Registered
I am sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with your GP investment properties... Property management is one of the reasons we have kept it close to home in the early going.

However, I think you should be commended for sticking with it and taking the positives out of the experience - now you know what to do for your next investment.

Quick question - have you thought about running an add or doing some marketing for a property manager that isn`t necessarily a licensed company?

I know it`s a bit riskier but I bet there are a lot of people in GP that would be looking for part time work.. you might be able to find someone to look after one or two properties for you this way. You could interview them over the phone and work out all the details and then if you like what you`re hearing make the trip and sign an agreement and give them keys to look after the place. Might be cheaper than 12% too.
style_emoticons

Just a thought. Good luck with everything.

DianneDachyshyn

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Nov 14 2007, 12:40 PM) I am sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with your GP investment properties... Property management is one of the reasons we have kept it close to home in the early going.

However, I think you should be commended for sticking with it and taking the positives out of the experience - now you know what to do for your next investment.

Quick question - have you thought about running an add or doing some marketing for a property manager that isn`t necessarily a licensed company?

I know it`s a bit riskier but I bet there are a lot of people in GP that would be looking for part time work.. you might be able to find someone to look after one or two properties for you this way. You could interview them over the phone and work out all the details and then if you like what you`re hearing make the trip and sign an agreement and give them keys to look after the place. Might be cheaper than 12% too.
style_emoticons

Just a thought. Good luck with everything.

That`s an idea, but my understanding is that the person must be a licensed realtor in order to manage someone else`s property.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (Rascal @ Nov 14 2007, 12:45 PM) That`s an idea, but my understanding is that the person must be a licensed realtor in order to manage someone else`s property.

They need to be licensed as a property manager to keep funds in trust and make payments for repairs and stuff like that. Realtor`s can`t do that unless they also have a property manager`s license.

However, given the trouble you`ve had maybe you want to consider something a little less mainstream... perhaps you can find a guy on the ground to help screen tenants and do showings. He can also facilitate dealings with trades when things break or whenever the tenants need something addressed.

You could get all of your cheques from the tenants post dated and just provide credit card info to a plumber or something if one is needed. Might be easier to find someone like this as opposed to a bonifide property manager.

DianneDachyshyn

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Nov 14 2007, 01:54 PM) They need to be licensed as a property manager to keep funds in trust and make payments for repairs and stuff like that. Realtor`s can`t do that unless they also have a property manager`s license.

However, given the trouble you`ve had maybe you want to consider something a little less mainstream... perhaps you can find a guy on the ground to help screen tenants and do showings. He can also facilitate dealings with trades when things break or whenever the tenants need something addressed.

You could get all of your cheques from the tenants post dated and just provide credit card info to a plumber or something if one is needed. Might be easier to find someone like this as opposed to a bonifide property manager.

Thanks, Brett. We will look into that.

SamEfford

Registered
We are looking into a "tenant-finder" as well in Grande Prairie. Will keep everyone posted if we find someone.

DianneDachyshyn

Registered
QUOTE (SamEfford @ Nov 14 2007, 07:13 PM) We are looking into a "tenant-finder" as well in Grande Prairie. Will keep everyone posted if we find someone.

We have asked Brian and Jackie at Exit Realty to help us show the property and screen tenants. I met with them when I was in town on Tuesday, and they have already shown it once for us today. I`m hoping that this works out. They are not asking me to sign a contract or make any commitment at this time. He said that he will find me renters and then we can decide what we want to do from there. We can manage ourselves or work with him. He`s also open to working with me to find and screen tenants in the future and then let us self-manage.

We agreed that if they could find us quality renters in a reasonable amount of time that we would consider working with them for the PM. They seem to understand investors, and I have explained very candidly what we have experienced elsewhere and what we do NOT want to experience again. I also told him that we are all discussing this on the forum.

In the meantime, we are still open to suggestions so by all means keep us all posted.