Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Greater Phoenix New Listings per Month: 2001 to 2011 (October)

DianaC

Registered
There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics...

2011 has significantly lower new listings entering the ARMLS (MLS) system than previous years and could fall back to 2001 levels. It is still thought there is significant `shadow inventory` with government agencies holding back from entering the marketplace.

/raduploads/images/New%20Listings%20Per%20Month%20Chart.jpg

KevinMatwichuk

Registered
Good news and bad news.

Good news if you have Phoenix properties. (which I do)

Ban new if you are in acquisition mode. (which I am)

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
I see no news here .. What is the news ? Less listing than in the most terrible years but still a lot of listings compared to boom years ?

What about prices ?

What about immigration ?

What about household formation ?

What about job creation or destruction ?

What about average wage trends ?

What about unemployment rates ?

What about new construction activity ?

Answers to those questions would be real useful .. As opposed to # of listings .. Who cares !

KevinMatwichuk

Registered
Thanks for the BLAST Thomas!??

As you are aware and have indicated active listings are one of the many leading indicators in any market. You are correct that the rest should be looked at.

I can tell you this as a "FACT". I have a significant portfolio in the US. My portfolio is made up of newer single family homes in B+ neighbourhood. My portfolio produces a CAP rate of around 12%. An investment producing 12% on an non-levereaged basis is good in my books. Being non-leveraged I have almost unlimited flexibility to adjust my rents up or down based on the economy and still produce positive cashflow from my portfolio.

I challenge you to present myREINspace with an investment in Canada in a B+ area which can produce similar results on a non-leveraged basis.

The number #2 investment rule I have is keep an open unbiased mind. I think we might share our #1 rule!

I'm sure this discussion will continue but lets not try to bully around!

PS. - I also have a portfolio in Canada.

Rickson9

Registered
Speaking for myself, I have to agree with Thomas. I don't find the listing information useful. To each their own.

As disclosure, I also have a number of leverage-free properties in Phoenix and Canada.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
A 12% CAP rate is impressive if true expenses are calculated like property management or R&M expenses. Those are frequently low balled or ignored by many investors, especially new ones.

A high CAP rate is usually indicative of a poor economy or an expectation of flat or falling prices. It may be different in Phoenix.

Btw: Who is bullying ? I just questioned metrics that are useless without showing other, far more meaningful metrics. If you have some more insight into those more meaningful metrics I'd love to hear about them for the Phoenix area.

A property in a nation with huge debt with a grid locked government, in a state with huge debt and many foreclosures in a city with debt and high unemployment is not necessarily a great investment. Where is the upside ? How to exit ? Why is this better than more expensive Alberta based real estate with lower CAP rates ?

DianaC

Registered
Hello Thomas, Kevin and Rickson

Thomas ` I saw you speak at the Vancouver REIN meeting and made copious amounts of notes. You are one smart guy. You inspired me...

One chart is just a page in a story book and must be studied as part of an overall plan before moving forward. I wished to start a discussion and my goal was achieved. I will be posting other charts every day over the next week to assist others in gauging what the market is doing. Whether you choose to invest or not is immaterial. I am just providing information of what I see here in Phoenix while living and breathing real estate.

REIN people are much more inclined to do research and study a market ` Thank you Don Campbell.

Others can get themselves in trouble very quickly. Three problem areas I am seeing:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Vacancy rates for various valley cities

My previous post `median rents for 26 cities in greater Phoenix` shows problems in the market. Realtors are visiting Canada and telling us all about the cheap houses. Cheap is a relative term. Vacancy rates (month`s supply) are very different all over the greater Phoenix area and range from 6% all the way up to 30%. Better know your area and the rates before purchasing.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Home pricing
[/list type=decimal]

Some unscrupulous Realtors are showing homes to Canadians which are overpriced. As many second home people are paying cash (HElOC) there is no appraisal. I am aware of a home which was recently purchased for $210,000 and appraised at $175,000 ` a $35,000 difference. The purchaser did not find until it was too late.

Mortgages
[/list type=decimal]

A Canadian can get one mortgage for a personal second home property in America. It cannot be a rental property. If you purchase a rental property before your personal residence you cannot get financing. Financing is only available for Second homes ` not third or fourth homes! It is a FHA product with terms of 30% down and 4.25% interest. The interest rate will not change for the 30 year period and there is typically not a prepayment penalty. People often buy rental properties first and then try to get the financing for their personal property. Can not do!

I will stand with Kevin on the opportunity side of the American border. There are very good renters (homeowners) who have been displaced from their homes, need to rent for three years, clean up their credit and then repurchase. Homes are below replacement value, cash flow is at 12% and the tax laws and American people like Canadians!

A worry...how much shadow inventory is out there? Unknown at this time but consensus is it is less than originally forecast. Many ARMS (Adjustable Rate Mortgages) reset at a lower interest rate to the previous one due to the lower interest rates thereby easing pressure on home owners.

The banks are stating they will do more short sales than foreclosures. Short sales are up around 13% and foreclosures are down 13%. REOs are also down and traditional sales are flat.

Stay tuned!

housingrental

Registered
Hi Diana / and/or anyone else that can answer

Some of the biggest concerns I've had when looking to invest in Arizona have been:

Future population growth

Future job growth

Lack of barriers to entry for new supply (ie limited zoning restrictions like you'd find in GTA greenbelt, natural features like in Vancouver, etc..)

Future cost of ownership (ie tax and utility charges)

These factors are often the greatest contributors to price appreciation and sustained higher pricing levels in real estate in North America.

Can anyone give any positive analysis on those three as they relate to Phoenix or other cities? I've seen lots of negatives on these - reasons not to invest - and the fear is that although initial operating incomes look good, long term lower house values and increased expenses could be next.

Top Bottom