Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hamilton Tenent issue- HELP!

marcola

Registered
Hey There,
I have an non-conforming, non- registered 4-plex in Hamilton. The tenant moved out for Aug 31 and left behind an a/c unit. She came back today to pick it up, but I had put it outside on the street. It was out there all of 5 mins when someone drove by and took it.
First: Under the OHRT abandend proporty can be disposed of asap once a tent moves out.
Second: I offered here $100 in good faith but she wants $300 - The a/c unit was at least 2 years old and there is no way I will give here $300.
Third : here`s the kicker - she has threatened to call the city inspectors about a minor mold issue....this does not concern me, since it is very minor and I have dehumidifiers running to get the moixture levels down and it`s working. No other people in the house have complained either. And she does not live there any longer so I don`t know if she will have a claim. But it is non-conforming.

Should I call her bluff - which I want to do, or should I pay her off to go away. I`m still willing to give here the $100 but I don`t think she`ll bite.

New A/C unit at canadain tire for this run about $150. I think $100 if fair.

If anyone can offer insite, please do.

Marcola

GarthChapman

Registered
Odds are about 5-to-1 she will call the City no matter what you do. Do what you think is right/best/fair but don`t count on her not calling.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (marcola @ Sep 1 2008, 02:38 PM) Hey There,
I have an non-conforming, non- registered 4-plex in Hamilton. The tenant moved out for Aug 31 and left behind an a/c unit. She came back today to pick it up, but I had put it outside on the street. It was out there all of 5 mins when someone drove by and took it.
First: Under the OHRT abandend proporty can be disposed of asap once a tent moves out.
Second: I offered here $100 in good faith but she wants $300 - The a/c unit was at least 2 years old and there is no way I will give here $300.
Third : here`s the kicker - she has threatened to call the city inspectors about a minor mold issue....this does not concern me, since it is very minor and I have dehumidifiers running to get the moixture levels down and it`s working. No other people in the house have complained either. And she does not live there any longer so I don`t know if she will have a claim. But it is non-conforming.

Should I call her bluff - which I want to do, or should I pay her off to go away. I`m still willing to give here the $100 but I don`t think she`ll bite.

New A/C unit at canadain tire for this run about $150. I think $100 if fair.

If anyone can offer insite, please do.

Marcola
Like in real life, doing NOTHING is sometimes the best option. So yes, $100 is fair. Or buy her a new unit. Or: tell her to have a nice day !

Nir

REIN Member
As usual I`ll be a little analytical, let`s have some fun :)

We`ll use a probability tree to make a decision:

let`s asusme 90% chance she will call the city if you only pay $100 and only 25% she will call if you pay her $300 per her request. let`s assume $1000 damage if she calls the city (it can cost you much more if they raise the issue of it being non registered and probably cost you nothing if they don`t so "on average" $1000)

option 1 - pay her $100: expected loss = 90% * $1000 + $100 = $1000
option 2 - pay her $300: expected loss = 25% * $1000 + $300 = $550

conclusion ---> pay her $300. In addition to minimizing the expected loss you also minimize the risk as city inspection`s result is uncertain.

To summarize, by paying her $300 you do everything you can to prevent her from calling the city and in the worse case (if she calls the city anyway) you only lost $200 compared to option# 1.

What she is doing is not fair but try to minimize your feeling so you can do what is BEST FOR YOU! if it helps, think about it this way - she did waste time coming to the property to take it so it`s not just the cost of A/C in question.

Good luck,
Neil

PS. if "Odds are about 5-to-1 she will call the City no matter what you do" as Garth mentioned, then the analysis above is wrong but I believe paying her as she requested ($300) does change the probability she will call the city compared to paying her $100 :)

invst4profit

Registered
Call her bluff.
Offer the $100 again and tell her it is a final offer. Tell her if she wishes to take further action she will get nothing.

marcola

Registered
Well, I called her bluff....told her take $100 or leave it! Hope she backs down. I think she is a cronic threatener!!!
I`ll let you all know how things work out.
Thank for the input and suggestions.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Sep 1 2008, 10:19 PM) As usual I`ll be a little analytical, let`s have some fun :)

We`ll use a probability tree to make a decision:

let`s asusme 90% chance she will call the city if you only pay $100 and only 25% she will call if you pay her $300 per her request. let`s assume $1000 damage if she calls the city (it can cost you much more if they raise the issue of it being non registered and probably cost you nothing if they don`t so "on average" $1000)

option 1 - pay her $100: expected loss = 90% * $1000 + $100 = $1000
option 2 - pay her $300: expected loss = 25% * $1000 + $300 = $550

conclusion ---> pay her $300. In addition to minimizing the expected loss you also minimize the risk as city inspection`s result is uncertain.

To summarize, by paying her $300 you do everything you can to prevent her from calling the city and in the worse case (if she calls the city anyway) you only lost $200 compared to option# 1.

What she is doing is not fair but try to minimize your feeling so you can do what is BEST FOR YOU! if it helps, think about it this way - she did waste time coming to the property to take it so it`s not just the cost of A/C in question.

Good luck,
Neil

PS. if "Odds are about 5-to-1 she will call the City no matter what you do" as Garth mentioned, then the analysis above is wrong but I believe paying her as she requested ($300) does change the probability she will call the city compared to paying her $100 :)

I`m gonna change my vote. I like Neil`s analysis. He has taken the emotion out of it and made the key point that for $300 you will likely improve significantly your odds of avoiding a much bigger problem.

Nice work Neil!

Top Bottom