Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Having roommates sign a lease

Millions

Registered
Hey,

I have a suited house in which im living on the main floor. I have 2 roommates. Should I get them on a lease with me? If so, what type of lease? A typical rental lease?

Thanks

Matt

sstokes

REIN Member
Not sure about Alberta, but in BC if the roommates/tenants share the kitchen and/or bathroom with the owner of the property, it`s considered `shared accomodation` and doesn`t fall under the RTA. So virtually none of the regular rules apply.

I just drew up an agreement that stated the basics: name of both parties, amount of rent and what it inclulded, rent due date, required notice to vacate (when initiated by the owner or roommate) and added a list of general household rules as an appendix (which they had to acknowledge).

Because it`s your home, you really do get to call the shots.

lilbuffet

Registered
QUOTE (sstokes @ Dec 5 2009, 12:01 AM) Not sure about Alberta, but in BC if the roommates/tenants share the kitchen and/or bathroom with the owner of the property, it`s considered `shared accomodation` and doesn`t fall under the RTA. So virtually none of the regular rules apply.

I just drew up an agreement that stated the basics: name of both parties, amount of rent and what it inclulded, rent due date, required notice to vacate (when initiated by the owner or roommate) and added a list of general household rules as an appendix (which they had to acknowledge).

interesting, yeah my girlfriend just moved in with me and was wondering what type of tennant agreement i should make her sign.

CarlaJohnson

Registered
For our regular tenants we have a long 7-page lease agreement. But last spring we bought a house for our neice, a student at Brock University in St. Catharines. She is renting two of the rooms out to good friends. We showed her our big lease agreement, but advised her to make up something smaller. Roommates need to be shown a bit of trust, so keep it short but make sure the arrangement are clean and clear.

All the best!

MONEY

Registered
QUOTE (sstokes @ Dec 5 2009, 12:01 AM) Not sure about Alberta, but in BC if the roommates/tenants share the kitchen and/or bathroom with the owner of the property, it`s considered `shared accomodation` and doesn`t fall under the RTA. So virtually none of the regular rules apply.

Roommate situations are subject to the Innkeepers Act.

Top Bottom