Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help. Studnt house clepto

cooldennis

Registered
I have a student in my student house that has been there for a year now. I have about 8 different complaints from 6 different tenants that he has stole things from them. Everytime I talk to himabout the theft , his trustee (sister) quotes the landlord tenant act.

I have no proof but i suspect this same guy stole my lawnmore and other things of mine at the house.

How do I get this guy out????

REINteam

Registered
Have your other tenants filed formal complaints with you? Do they have proof? If you can get them to file complaints with proof you will most likely have a case for eviction. What province are you in?

Another option - get a security camera installed that emails pictures directly to you based on movement. My neighbor just installed one and now he sends me pictures whenever my dog gets out of the fence and into his yard (how wonderful!!). It was cheap, works great and you could potentially set up your own "sting" operation - put another lawnmower where the last one was, or something else, set up the camera and wait...if he takes it there`s your proof - call the cops and file for eviction.

Also, make sure you read up on the tenant/landlord laws in your area so you`re the authority on the matter...not his sister!

Last option, bribe him out - $XXX dollars paid to him once his crap is packed up and out, get him to sign something stating he has decided to end tenancy and he will not hold you liable for any damages regarding finding new tenancy, moving costs, etc...will it hold up court, no clue, but get him to sign something and only pay once he is packed and you have the keys (have his sister sign it as well).

housingrental

Registered
The top portions of Ray`s post on documentation is good
Have them phone the cops also if possible
Get written statements from impacted tenants with details and get them agree to go to hearing
You should be able to get eviction done if you probably present and walk madame chair through what has happened

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Be very careful with cameras. By law you must have signs posted warning people that the premises are under video surveillance. Without proper signage, criminals can actually sue you for invasion of privacy or some other ridiculous charge.

I`m all for it...just make sure you go by the book.

Regards,
Sherilynn

cooldennis

Registered
Thank you so much for the innovative ideas. I will have a camera installed and keep you posted

wealthyboomer

Registered
QUOTE (Sherilynn @ Aug 27 2010, 12:51 AM) Be very careful with cameras. By law you must have signs posted warning people that the premises are under video surveillance. Without proper signage, criminals can actually sue you for invasion of privacy or some other ridiculous charge.

I`m all for it...just make sure you go by the book.

Regards,
Sherilynn

interesting...which law is that?

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
The exact law varies by province, but it all falls under the Privacy Act.

Check out this link to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada: Privacy Commission

Highlights:

"In the private sector, surveillance through a video camera is subject to privacy laws."

"Most privacy laws require the organization conducting video surveillance to post a clear and understandable notice about the use of cameras on its premises to individuals whose images might be captured by them, before these individuals enter the premises."

If you google "video surveillance law" along with the province, something specific should pop up for you.

Regards,
Sherilynn

wealthyboomer

Registered
QUOTE (Sherilynn @ Aug 29 2010, 08:50 PM) The exact law varies by province, but it all falls under the Privacy Act.

Check out this link to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada: Privacy Commission

Highlights:

"In the private sector, surveillance through a video camera is subject to privacy laws."

"Most privacy laws require the organization conducting video surveillance to post a clear and understandable notice about the use of cameras on its premises to individuals whose images might be captured by them, before these individuals enter the premises."

If you google "video surveillance law" along with the province, something specific should pop up for you.

Regards,
Sherilynn

In Alberta, according to Linda McKay-Panos, the Executive Director of the Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre
that only applies to an “organization” or individuals acting in a "commercial" capacity.
And Alberta does not have any general statutory privacy law outside of the FOIPA and the PIPA.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (wealthyboomer @ Aug 29 2010, 11:28 PM) In Alberta, according to Linda McKay-Panos, the Executive Director of the Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre
that only applies to an "organization" or individuals acting in a "commercial" capacity.
And Alberta does not have any general statutory privacy law outside of the FOIPA and the PIPA.

Wouldn`t renting out a house as a student dwelling be a "commercial" capacity?

Michael

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I don`t see how a province can exempt its citizens from a Canadian Act.

Here is a link for Alberta: Private sector guidelines

I think a landlord may have difficulty arguing that he is not "acting in a commercial capacity," especially if his properties were multi-family.

Sherilynn

PropertySolution

Registered
If they are in a common area they should have no expectation of privacy. If a camera is set up in a private dwelling or a personal area of a home such as a private bedroom or office space, entering without permission would constitute break and enter and having video of it is evidence and not an infraction on an individuals rights. At least that would be my defense if the video was questioned.

rickm

Registered
QUOTE (cooldennis @ Aug 26 2010, 10:22 AM) I have a student in my student house that has been there for a year now. I have about 8 different complaints from 6 different tenants that he has stole things from them. Everytime I talk to himabout the theft , his trustee (sister) quotes the landlord tenant act.

I have no proof but i suspect this same guy stole my lawnmore and other things of mine at the house.

How do I get this guy out????

Hi Cooldennis,

May I ask which province and city you are in? I too, rent to students.. I am watching your case closely. I`ve experienced similar issues..

-Rick

Top Bottom