Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HELP - Wondering child - tenant`s or landlord`s responsibility?

joojubs

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have an important question that I need help with. I am in Ontario and have a tenant in my lower unit who has 3 kids.

One of her kids, 5-years old, has been leaving the apartment at night through the bedroom window or the front door in the middle of the night. The tenant is asking me to change all the locks on the front door and put a window stopper in the bedroom window.

I'm confused because I don't think this falls under my responsibility as the landlord. Isn't it her responsibility to keep her child under control so she doesn't sneak out at night? Where is the line for which I am responsible for, if any? It doesn't make sense to me that I am asked to change the locks just because the child can open them. So, should I be changing the locks again if the child learns how to open the newly installed locks too?

Please help.

joo

invst4profit

Registered
Was there any discussion with the tenant at the time they applied to rent the place regarding locks. If not and you had no agreement to install special locks then it is not your problem.

What you can do is suggest that you will install what they request but it will be at their expense and whatever is installed you must have access in the event of an emergency.

Do not let them install anything themselves as it will most likely be a shoddy job and cause damage.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
No, it is not your responsibility, but that doesn't mean that you can't do something.

The big box hardware stores carry inexpensive window stoppers for both aluminum and vinyl windows. They clamp on to the tracks by twisting in screws. The child is likely not strong enough to open them.

Another alternative is window bars (providing they have an emergency release). Relatively inexpensive and they provide extra security for the property. A value-added for your tenants.

Those I would pay for myself because there is lasting value. I would make the tenant pay for lock upgrades or changes to the front door, as there is likely no noticeable benefit to you.

rossijohn123

Registered
Dear Joo,

I agree with you that it is not your responsibility to take care of your tenant's kid. But, if changing locks can help someone to protect her kid, I personally think there is no harm to do so. Just try to help her and see it will give you happiness too.

invst4profit

Registered
Be very careful in dealing with this type of tenant. Once they start making demands it will never end. Ultimately they will drive you crazy with their never ending scene of entitlement.

Yes definitely accommodate if it does not negatively impact your property but always do so with the caveat that they pay. Their response will give you a good picture of their position. I expect you will receive a strong push back and clear signs of their nature.

Hold your position on "they pay" as this will send a message and hopefully in the future reduce their demands.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
[quote user=invst4profit]Be very careful in dealing with this type of tenant. Once they start making demands it will never end. Ultimately they will drive you crazy with their never ending scene of entitlement.

I agree.

What we did when installing window bars for one tenant is say that we had been planning to do that anyway (which we were planning to do...eventually). This way the tenant was happy but we hadn't exactly given in to any entitlement-style demands.

I would be careful about making tenants pay for anything that they could potentially take with them when they leave. Many window bars are adjustable, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were taken.

joojubs

Registered
Thank you so much, Sherrilynn! I learn so much from all of you.

joojubs

Registered
Thank you so much, Rossijohn! That is what my heart says but this tenant has been quite demanding so I didn't want to be taken advantage of any further.

Top Bottom