Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hoffaco Corp. - Hoffaco Property Management - New website need help and critics

housingrental

Registered
Hi,

I have a new website up at www.hoffaco.com and I wanted to get articles to add to the article sections from investors - any topic real estate or investment related - if you have any writings you`d like to contribute please email me the info. Of especial interest would be if anyone has anything good for why to invest in real estate or why to invest in Waterloo region...

I`ve had a few people provide feedback so far and there`s some content I`m likely to add in the future and I`d also like to get everyone`s thoughts on the design and content of the website - please let me know what you think - what you`d like to see added or removed or modified.. etc...

Brutal and harsh criticism appreciated and welcomed!

Thanks

ChrisDavies

Registered
I`m a professional internet marketer, so here`s some free advice, abeit from the Search Engine side.

- http://www.google.com/analytics Get `em. Free tracking for your website, and pretty much the best free package out there. Better than many paid programs.
- http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools Get authenticated, and Google will tell you all sorts of interesting stuff about your site, and help you diagnose any problems that might exist vis a the search engines.
- Every page`s code needs <title> and a meta description and meta keywords tag. Drop me an email and I can provide more info on these, but Google`s also got a good (short) PDF on the topic.
- XML and HTML sitemaps. They`ll help make sure the search engines can find you, and know what content goes where.

From a usability side, the articles are going to be an important part of your website, but it takes me at least three clicks to get there. You might consider making them more accessable from your homepage, perhaps a link to the most recent on your home page?

Nice design. I like the graphic at the top, although it might take a while to load on slower connections and on smaller screen resolutions might push your content below the fold of the page, and you`d be shocked at how few people will go to the effort of scrolling.

TodorYordanov

Registered
Hi Adam, nice design and simple menu. But the animation portion takes more than half of my screen on my laptop. I have to scroll down to see the content - never a good thing. See if you can shrink the "moving objects" portion, although amusing, that`s not why people visit your site.
Just my opinion.

Allie

Registered
I think the flash is distracting to the text. I like the logo and color scheme but not the default font. For a home made website, I think it`s sufficient to serve its purpose but if I didn`t know you or your references, the website alone wouldn`t compel me to call. Since one of your advertised services is marketing and branding, I think the website could use a little cosmetic work.

Lucas

Registered
QUOTE (MatzoB @ Mar 28 2009, 08:29 PM) I think the flash is distracting to the text. I like the logo and color scheme but not the default font. For a home made website, I think it`s sufficient to serve its purpose but if I didn`t know you or your references, the website alone wouldn`t compel me to call. Since one of your advertised services is marketing and branding, I think the website could use a little cosmetic work.

I am not a technical guy really, especially with my website (or my vehicles)...these are things I choose to delegate in my business and in my life (read: vehicles). I`m a teachers son, have 2 author`s in my extended family and have some experience writing. I consider myself a proficient wordsmith...IMO, you should be wary of run-on sentences...particularly on the home page. The opening sentences of each service seems especially long-winded because the text is in a narrow, vertical colomn. I think shorter sentences would be more punchy and consequently more communicative. For fiction writers and their readers, a run-on sentence can be effective. In business and marketting, as I have found, short and concise sentences seem to recieve the most attention from both sophisticated investors and the general public (not that they are different ; ).

I am not an Eng Lit major or a published author...just my 2 cents...

The look is good though and I personally like the animation (although my laptop was having a tough time running them smoothly). The website gives off a professional impression.

With some tweaking, it should be a really effective website.

Lucas

Lucas

Registered
QUOTE (Lucas @ Mar 28 2009, 10:15 PM) I am not a technical guy really, especially with my website (or my vehicles)...these are things I choose to delegate in my business and in my life (read: vehicles). I`m a teachers son, have 2 author`s in my extended family and have some experience writing. I consider myself a proficient wordsmith...IMO, you should be wary of run-on sentences...particularly on the home page. The opening sentences of each service seems especially long-winded because the text is in a narrow, vertical colomn. I think shorter sentences would be more punchy and consequently more communicative. For fiction writers and their readers, a run-on sentence can be effective. In business and marketting, as I have found, short and concise sentences seem to recieve the most attention from both sophisticated investors and the general public (not that they are different ; ).

I am not an Eng Lit major or a published author...just my 2 cents...

The look is good though and I personally like the animation (although my laptop was having a tough time running them smoothly). The website gives off a professional impression.

With some tweaking, it should be a really effective website.

Lucas

BTW, I wasn`t replying to Matzo`s comments...it was supposed to be a general comment.

Lucas

Nicola

Registered
Hi Adam,

I`ve just had a quick look, and it looks nice. However, one comment I have is that the title boxes for the three areas - Property Management / Rental Agency / Consulting - look like buttons to click to link to more information. Could you change these so that they do this? Maybe you could put a more general introduction/profile on the first page, then link to three separate pages for these three areas? Anyway, just a thought...

Nicola

housingrental

Registered
Thank`s for all the feedback - I have no background in website design and the main goal was to keep it simple and informative - Anyone else ? Anyone have any articles they`d like to have on ?

Todor - Re scrolling down to read text - Thanks, I`m looking at ways to slightly modify the site so this won`t be needed.

MatzoB - What font do you recommend? What would you like to see on the website that would get you to call someone?

Lucas - Thanks - Would something like this look better:

"Hoffaco Corp. is a full service property management firm. Whether it`s turning around hard to rent or manage properties to providing short term management prior to a change of use we can help create a passive investment for you when other firms can`t. About Hoffaco:
- Insured
- Top quality references
- Extensive multi family and student rental experience
- Services Kitchener and Waterloo
- Can provide customized property management solutions to fit your portfolio. "

Or what did you have in mind ?

Nicola - I`ll look into doing this but not sure if it`d improve it.. I`m thinking thats a good idea but to just link to the "Our Services" tab page.. my concern is adding too many sections of info and pages and cluttering the website...

Allie

Registered
You did pretty well considering your lack of background experience. Since you asked, the my preference is Times New Roman. That`s what I used on my business cards:

Thank`s for all the feedback - I have no background in website design and the main goal was to keep it simple and informative - Anyone else ? Anyone have any articles they`d like to have on ?

Todor - Re scrolling down to read text - Thanks, I`m looking at ways to slightly modify the site so this won`t be needed.

MatzoB - What font do you recommend? What would you like to see on the website that would get you to call someone?

"Hoffaco Corp. is a full service property management firm. Whether it`s turning around hard to rent or manage properties to providing short term management prior to a change of use we can help create a passive investment for you when other firms can`t. About Hoffaco:
- Insured
- Top quality references

Nicola - I`ll look into doing this but not sure if it`d improve it.. I`m thinking thats a good idea but to just link to the "Our Services" tab page.. my concern is adding too many sections of info and pages and cluttering the website...

Nicola

Registered

Nir

REIN Member
Hi Adam,

Not my expertise (what is?) but I like your website - it provides a good summary of what you do without giving too much information (to allow your client to do it himself - just joking).

My only advice - perhaps consider adding a guestbook link where people can comment/provide feedback on your company`s Great support. (well, unless you have no further growth plans)

Regards,
Neil

housingrental

Registered
Font`s - I eagerly await resolution of MatzoB vs Nicola`s suggestion - Also - How do I figure out what font type I`m using? I`m editing through notebook is charset the command ? or ? and how do I know which font is which ?

Investsmart - Thanks Neil ! - So just so I understand correctly you think I should have a tab at top that links to page of testimonials from current clients essentially ? or ? Wouldn`t this come off as less professional to many or ?

NorthernAlex

Registered
I wouldn`t add a guestbook. FMPOV it is nothing what should be in a corp. homepage.

If he has customers/tenants who give a nice email Adam could add a new topic TESTIMONIALS.

I really like the flash. I dont like the size of the fonts (too large) and the fonts itself. As a potential client i would like to know more about the company.

Property management: How many doors do they handle right now? How long do they have experience? How many people? And which people at all?

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Mar 30 2009, 09:38 AM) Font`s - I eagerly await resolution of MatzoB vs Nicola`s suggestion - Also - How do I figure out what font type I`m using? I`m editing through notebook is charset the command ? or ? and how do I know which font is which ?

To find out your font, you need to look at your css stylesheet (for your site it is styles.css). It looks to me like your first option is Tahoma, followed by Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif (this is the order browsers will use). I would suggest having Arial as the first choice e.g.: font: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; but that`s just my preference.

The easiest way to check what the fonts look like is to open a Word document and play around with the different fonts to see which you like best.

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Mar 28 2009, 11:22 AM) I`m a professional internet marketer, so here`s some free advice, abeit from the Search Engine side.

- http://www.google.com/analytics Get `em. Free tracking for your website, and pretty much the best free package out there. Better than many paid programs.

Wow, I`ve just tried this and it`s fantastic! So much information available! Thanks!

Allie

Registered
New Times may not be the best everywhere but it may work for some parts. Special attention should be given to the tabs.
http://www.3point7designs.com/blog/2007/05...imes-new-roman/

Flash- I said I didn`t like it because of the way it was done. It`s akin to someone attempting to look good for a fancy dinner party but still ending up looking unpolished-but you can tell he tried. I think it`s awesome you know how to play with it but if you tweak the time cycles and slow the whole thing down, it would look better. Another tip to consider is that google spiders read flash differently but this is more relevant if more of your website is in flash.

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Hi Adam

Congratulations for getting your new web site up and for asking us for feedback too!

I`ve gone through many versions of our web site, so am happy to comment on yours.

I like the simple, easy to use layout.
I like the logo, very clear and with the house over it to a convey real estate angle.
The navigation is straight forward and easy to use.

The flash is distracting. You want people to focus on your messages not on the twirling images. Find some good, clear photos of buildings with happy people outside who could be tenants or owners. Photos your visitors will identify with -- "That could be me".

The vertical text and the fact there are no paragraph breaks in it that create white space, make it hard to read. I suggest putting your three headings on the home page down the left side and a paragraph about each to the right, so you have wider horizontal lines that are easier to read. Make short paragraphs that create white space so it`s easier to read.

If I`m not too clear in this description, please let me know and I`ll email you a sample.

The Profile isn`t there yet. When you do add it, I suggest you get professional pictures taken of you and any business partners or staff to go with the text, so people can get a feel for who you are.

Services: You have a good list. However, they are all features not benefits. Benefits sell. For example, Preventative maintenance planning so you have fewer repair bills and your building attracts good tenants. Rent collection so your rents get deposited on time.

You probably looked at other property management company sites to see what worked and didn`t work for you, what you liked about the site and what you didn`t. Always a good idea.

Best of luck, let me know if I can help you further.

Margaret
www.italycookingschools.com

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (Nicola @ Mar 29 2009, 06:32 PM) Wow, I`ve just tried this and it`s fantastic! So much information available! Thanks!

I love analytics. It blows people away when I show them the data we can collect and what we can do with it.

Lucas

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Mar 29 2009, 03:54 PM) Thank`s for all the feedback - I have no background in website design and the main goal was to keep it simple and informative - Anyone else ? Anyone have any articles they`d like to have on ?

- Insured
- Top quality references

Hi Adam,

The point form is definitely more effective and I think it would lend well to the colomn format you`ve created. I would remove the entire second sentence of your intro blurb (Whether its turning...). It does not sound good. Also, don`t use a contraction in your marketting (...when other firms can`t
)...it sounds unprofessional. Also, I wouldn`t mention "other firms" as it sounds like you are insecure and cut-throat.

It`s difficult to write a slogan for a company I am totally unfamiliar with but I think it was Matzo who came up with something in a previous reply.

You should try to convey your "style" of business in your marketting. Make a list of your companies best attributes and try to incorporate these themes in your text. Your branding should match your website design. Don`t just pick a feature because it looks cool.

Good Luck,

Lucas

Top Bottom