Hood Fan Instalation

Dec 10, 2007
Calgary
Funny question, but I was wondering who would install a Hood Fan. Is this something a electrician does, or is it more of a handy man sort of thing?

Bonus points to anyone who recommends someone to do this.

Thanks,

Dave

DarrylKelly

Registered
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary
Hi Dave,

It depends on the hood fan.

For example, a low end hood fan over an electric range can likely be wired and vented by a handyman. You can buy models that do not need exterior venting.

A higher end hood fan over a gas range may need to be interlocked to the furnace system and would likely need a combination of electrician and someone to do the mechanical.

Darryl Kelly
Kon-strux Developments Inc.

dcres

Registered
Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
If you had a existing fan in place, it`s just a matter of re-wiring it to the new one.
If this is an exterior vented fan you will have to cut holes in your cabinet & ceiling for the
vent line & install a proper vent in your roof or side wall in the attic.
If the fan is a re-circulating type, there`s no need for a vent line.

Dec 10, 2007
Calgary
Thanks for the replies.

I am just going to go with a basic one that uses a carbon filter and does not need to be vented outside.

So my next question is how much should I pay someone?

TerryKruse

Registered
Sep 5, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (DaveRhydderch @ Oct 23 2008, 05:13 PM) Thanks for the replies.

I am just going to go with a basic one that uses a carbon filter and does not need to be vented outside.

So my next question is how much should I pay someone?

Installation should depend on how complicated the install is and if there is existing wiring, etc. I would recommend Peter 403.370.9180 (in the resource directory). He has installed a couple of hood fans for me and would be able to give a price when he sees what you have.

Terry