House Conversion

Shinto

Registered
I am looking to buy a duplex and convert it too either a triplex of fourplex. What are some of the things I should watch out for. I am planning to talk to the planning and zoning dept first of course.

Thanks

terri

Registered
what province/city are you buying in?

definitely talk to zoning to make sure you can even convert to a triplex/4 plex legally in the area that you are buying. Zoning can change from one side of the street to the other or from one end of the street to the other so it`s a case by case basis. I usually check the zoning on every property before I put an offer in on it.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Shinto @ Sep 2 2008, 05:22 AM) I am looking to buy a duplex and convert it too either a triplex of fourplex. What are some of the things I should watch out for. I am planning to talk to the planning and zoning dept first of course.

Thanks

a conversion falls into 2 categories:
a) the current zoning allows for a 4-plex, or
b) the current zoning does NOT allow for a 4-plex

So, find out first, what the current zoning is.

If 4-plex is allowed, ask city what steps are required for a conversion. Many (i.e. most) cities in BC have a moratorium on conversions. Ask the city what their policy is. If allowed, you will need a new survey showing the intended 4-plex outline. The surveyor will shepard this through the city for you / on your behalf. There may be parking issues or fire code issues that may have to be addressed to get conversion approval.

Re-zoning is more complex, and requires city council approval AND neighborhood input / approval.

So, talk to city first informally. Call the city planning manager and mention address and idea. They may say "forget it" .. you will never get it. Or they may say "I am glad you called, because we LOVE to have higher density, higher tax base and more units for rent". It depends on property, neighborhood, current city council and mood of the day/year.

Get the zoning details for a 3 plex or 4-plex, i.e.. height restrictions, set backs, density per sq ft, parking requirements etc. .. incl current code for existing and new zoning. It may mean: move the house, add 3 windows, and change the roof pitch, as any re-zoning implies: same rules as if new development ! Thus, if the duplex is non-confirming under current new building code, it will be very expensive to convert to a 3-plex or 4-plex ! Not impossible, just expensive .. and then it is a business decision.

You then modify the interior without a permit, and the exterior with a building permit .. and then ask for re-zoning via a formal application that may cost a few hundred $s. It will get circulated among many departments such as: fire hall, police, school board, sewage treatment division, parkland authority .. and usually requires neighborhood input. If all approve .. it goes to city council for a rubber stamp. It may require accommodation of the fire department: "we suggest that the exterior be fire proofed with XYZ material of at least 1 inch thickness .." etc. Then you have to do that. It may require more parking stalls to be build/paved on the lot, as parking is a major issue on most neighborhoods.

Then city council approves it (or not, or ask for further changes) .. and then you may or may not get your 4-plex.

Try it .. a lot of work .. and usually a multi-month process .. but if the value goes up $100,000 .. why not spend the time and $10,000 on permits and drywall and pavement and add`l firecoding .. perhaps far less $s is required .. it depends on city, neighborhood, property and mood / time of year/day !

Shinto

Registered
I was looking at a triplex in Barrie. The owners say they got approval for a 5-plex conversion in 1990. Do these permits ever expire? I guess aside from building to fire and safety code, alot of the headache would be reduced.

B

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Shinto @ Sep 3 2008, 05:19 AM) I was looking at a triplex in Barrie. The owners say they got approval for a 5-plex conversion in 1990. Do these permits ever expire? I guess aside from building to fire and safety code, alot of the headache would be reduced.

B
ask the city planning department .. try to get a copy of the permit .. it may still be valid ..