Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

House Rules

fisher1

Registered
I am trying to make of list of house rules for new tenants. Besides the obvious ones like no smoking, no pets, no illegal activity, what other types of rules should be included in a list like this. If any of you could help by posting a list that you use, it would be greatly appreciated.

TonyMandrique

Registered
I do add the following:

No overnight guest/s
No partying/drinking within the premises
Maintain cleanliness/orderliness of the area, otherwise, a cleaning charge will be imposed
Be quite (especially at night) and considerate to other tenants
Conserve water, electricity and gas (if room has its own thermostat), otherwise, additional charge will be imposed if bills are over ($$$) normal charges
Avoid damages to the property, otherwise, repair costs will be charged extra.

Of course, incorporating some or all of these in the lease agreement is a matter of choice, though we do.

Just giving my 5cent.

FHC

tonypeters

Registered
I would be happy to provide you with a copy of our (Tenant) "Rules and Regulations". Please click on my profile and send me a quick e-mail and I will forward a copy to you. QUOTE (fisher1 @ Sep 7 2009, 09:11 AM) I am trying to make of list of house rules for new tenants. Besides the obvious ones like no smoking, no pets, no illegal activity, what other types of rules should be included in a list like this. If any of you could help by posting a list that you use, it would be greatly appreciated.

ontariolandlord

Registered
QUOTE (fisher1 @ Sep 7 2009, 09:11 AM) I am trying to make of list of house rules for new tenants. Besides the obvious ones like no smoking, no pets, no illegal activity, what other types of rules should be included in a list like this. If any of you could help by posting a list that you use, it would be greatly appreciated.
Where are you located?

In Ontario no pets is illegal. In fact, by law you must provide new tenants with a government print out which primarily states their rights and what a landlord cannot do to you.

invst4profit

Registered
In Ontario a LL is allowed to specify "no pets". However in Ontario a LL is not permitted to enforce a no pet rule, or any other house rules for that matter. A tenant is allowed to do anything they want as long as it does not violate any part of the RTA.
There is no point in a LL attaching "rules" to the lease itself in Ontario what a LL must do is screen potential tenants thoroughly enough to eliminate all applicants that have even the slightest whiff of dishonesty and then politely ask that they follow certain guidelines.

Mvarga

REIN Member
QUOTE (tonypeters @ Sep 7 2009, 11:12 AM) I would be happy to provide you with a copy of our (Tenant) "Rules and Regulations". Please click on my profile and send me a quick e-mail and I will forward a copy to you.

Hello, if you could add me to that email I would really appreciate it. [email protected] and [email protected]. thanking you in advance Matthew

Aneta

REIN Member
Here are my rules and regulations for a basement suite of a two suited property.a) No Smoking: Tenant will be non-smokers only, and Tenant`s guests will smoke outside the building, away from open doorways and windows.b) Noise: The Tenant agrees not to allow on their premises any excessive noise or other activity which disturbs the reasonable enjoyment, peace and quiet of other tenants in the building or the Landlord. c) No Pets: Animals, birds, or pets of any kind shall not be permitted inside the rental premises at any time. d) Snow Clearing: The Tenant shall be responsible for clearing the snow and ice from walkway and stairs up to their premises.

e) Fire Safety:
The Tenant agrees to refrain from the doing of any act in the premises which would in any way create a risk of fire or result in the increase in the rate of fire insurance covering the building and/or contents and further not to bring or store anything whatsoever therein which would have a like or similar result. This includes tampering with smoke detectors and storing any items in the furnace room.

f) Misuse of Facilities:
Toilets, basins shall not be used for any purpose other than those of which they are designed, nor shall any sweepings, rubbish, rags, or any other improper articles be place into the same. The electrical system shall not be overloaded by the Tenant. Any damage resulting from misuse of the aforementioned facilities, shall be corrected at the expense of the Tenants.

g) Freezing and Blockage of Pipes:
The Tenant agrees to take due precautions against freezing of water and waste pipes and stoppage of the same in and about the premises. If water or waste pipes become clogged by reason of the Tenant`s neglect or recklessness, the Tenant shall repair the same at his/her own expense as well as pay for all damage caused.

h) Nails:
The Tenant is permitted to use small finishing nails or nail supported hooks as a means to secure pictures on walls. The Tenant is not permitted to drive screws, hooks etc. Into or otherwise mutilate the walls, floors, ceilings or cabinetry in the premises. The use of glue-on or self-adhesive picture hangers is not permitted.

i) Windows:
Windows shall be closed at any time when the premises are left unattended. This will prevent any inadvertent flooding because of rains. Should window coverings, carpeting, or any other part of the premises become damaged as a result of infiltration of water through open windows, the resulting damage will be the financial responsibility of Tenant.

j) Window Coverings:
Curtains/blinds, when provided by Landlord, are not to be removed or replaced by Tenant. Tinfoil is not permitted on the window.

k) Common Area:
No items shall be left / stored around the exterior of the rental complex.

l) Signs:
Tenant shall not display any signs in the window or outside the premises.

m) Soiled Shoes:
Wet, muddy or soiled shoes/boots shall be removed on the stairs landing, to prevent damage to carpet.

n) Garbage and Recycling:
The Tenant shall follow the prescribed waste and recycling protocol. Recyclables and compost shall not be thrown into the garbage.

o) Water:
Water shall not be left running unless in actual use (to prevent flooding). Water conservation shall be practiced.

p) Energy:
Energy conservation shall be practiced. Lights and energy-using items shall not be left on when not in use.

q) Backyard, Frontyard:
The backyard and its amenities (such as BBQ and shed), front yard parking and front porch are solely for the use of the upstairs unit.

r) New Rules:
The Landlord may from time to time make such other and further reasonable rules for the care and cleanliness of the rental complex and for the comfort and convenience of the Tenants and Occupants; and their families, visitors, and guests shall obey such rules.

Top Bottom