House with pool

jamie

Registered
Sep 6, 2012
Hey, I am curently looking at a detached house that has a above ground pool. I'm just looking for positive or negative feedback on renting a house that has a pool. Can I ask higher rents? Liability issues?

Thx
Jamie

brentdavies

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Depends on your location and rental market. Check out the neighborhood and see if there are others out there.

If you are in Edmonton or Calgary, the pool is a liability, and I would move on the next property. However, if you are in Phoenix or Los Angles, then a pool is a must.

Properties with pools in my market take a long time to sell and not at top dollar unless the property is over $1,000,000. Then there is no cash flow. Multi units must be 50 units plus to able to carry a pool. We get the occasional investor who looks at pool because the house is discounted and maybe with a pool....

Hot tubs in a rental fall under the same category.

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
A home with a above ground pool should sell for less as such a pool makes the property less valuable. Make a low ball offer explaining that the pool will need to be removed. Never rent a home with a pool. Tenants are generally irresponsible in their behaviour and the likelihood is you will end up with numerous neighbour complaints. In addition pools require considerable upkeep which tenants will never do.

Jerome

REIN Member
Feb 22, 2011
Jamie,

We bought a single family house with a pool about a year ago and when we went to rent it, people were lining up at the door. What`s important is to know your market. The property I`m talking about is on the Quebec side, where pools are very popular and water is free. I made it very clear on the lease agreement that the tenant was fully responsible for the maintenance of the pool, and if it wasn`t done properly, I would shut down the pool. So far the tenant is extremely satisfied and wants to stay for the long term mostly because of the pool. I would have never done that kind of deal in Ontario where we have to pay for water, but in Quebec it seems to be working very well.

Jerome

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
Jerome:

Also in Ontario it should be understood that a landlord has no authority to enforce a tenancy agreement that requires a tenant to maintain a pool. In addition if a landlord closes down a pool that is originally provided for the use of a tenant the tenant has the right to a rent reduction.