Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Houses VS. Apartment Condos

NikZad

Registered
Just wanted to hear why you RE investors invest in certain types of Real Estate. Condo`s seem to be much easier to maintain. (i`m talking about your average apartment style unit that shares majority of costs with entire building) However a House has many more streams of income you can utilize to obtain a higher cash flow.

If all other factors are the same do you find it easier to rent out a condo or a house?

Thanks,

DaveToynbee

Dave Toynbee
REIN Member
"you RE investors"...hehe. I have found that my suites in houses have rented as quickly as my townhouses....no difference. As long as they are located in areas with a strong demand for rentals, it shouldn`t really matter....but depends on the people you want to attract/masrket to. Whether one is better than the other really depends on what will work better for you and your goals.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (UrbanDwellings @ Oct 16 2008, 02:59 PM) Just wanted to hear why you RE investors invest in certain types of Real Estate. Condo`s seem to be much easier to maintain. (i`m talking about your average apartment style unit that shares majority of costs with entire building) However a House has many more streams of income you can utilize to obtain a higher cash flow.

If all other factors are the same do you find it easier to rent out a condo or a house?

Thanks,

house: more land per sq ft of living space, hence more expensive. On the extreme side it is an acreage or: a raw piece of land with no dwelling. The ultimate, indestructable piece of real estate and no tenant problems. But usually tough to mortgage and thus bad $s on $s invested.

You rent living space, i.e. sq ft, so the extra land is hard to "cash-flow" .. BUT: land appreciates whereas a dwelling deteriorates, so usually you have more equity upside potential in land (with or without a house) vs. an apartment.

We go one step further and buy many apartments also called a building or multi-family investment. You get more operating efficiencies, less cost per sq ft of living space and slightly better mortgage terms, i.e. a better long term hold potential, i.e. more $s on $s invested !

the money is made by holding LONG TERM, which is easier in an apartment building or a condo than a raw peice of land or a large house.

Real estate does NOT grow linearly .. it wobbles up and down an inflationary slope of 4-6% ON AVERAGE .. and in the last 3-4 years we were (across the globe in UK, Victoria, Australia, Spain, BC, AB ..) WELL above that 4-6% inflationary growth .. so even a drop of 30% from 2007 peak is NOT a surprise !!

Hence the emphasis on cash-flow so you can hold .. and weather out these troughs !! It is NOT a fast path to wealth .. don`t flip .. the time to buy pre-sales condos and sell them 2 years later for a huge gain (after realtor fees, tax, legal fees, ..) is over .. and the time to make a fast buck is over too !! It is a PROVEN LONG TERM PATH TO WEALTH .. if you are patient enough and can hold long term !

Why is real estate a great investment - (even in a flat market with no cash flow) ?

If you buy an asset with a 20% down-payment, and no positive cash-flow for 10 years, with:

a ) No appreciation (equity upside) :you have more than DOUBLED your money as the mortgage has been paid down over 20% !)

b ) 20% price increase (less than 4% annually compounded, below Canada`s long term average !!), you would have TRIPLED your money.

c ) 30% price increase (less than 6% annually compounded, about Canada`s long term average as house prices in Canada have doubled every 15 years in a normal economy !!) you would have made 250% on your money.

d ) 40% price increase (slightly higher than Canada`s long term average as house prices in Canada have doubled every 15 years in a normal economy, and AB has a better economy than the rest of Canada !!), you would have made 300% on your money, i.e. quadrupled it!

This latter scenario "d" is very likely in a strong economy like Alberta with cheap investor condos (or apartment buildings or cheaper townhouses or cheaper homes) - even if higher priced condos or houses are not so great an investment these days due to very high prices and ongoing negative cash-flow with 20-25% down! And yes, there may be better markets like SK or TX right now showing higher growth potential for the next few years due to lower prices .. but AB is OK too ! .. many markets have potential .. some more .. some less ..

HOLD ON TO YOUR (cash-flowing or at least break even) ASSETS .. AND ENJOY THE RIDE !!

Happy investing .. with cash-flow AND (at least inflationary) equity growth (in time ..) !!!!

TommyK

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Oct 16 2008, 02:36 PM) house: more land per sq ft of living space, hence more expensive. On the extreme side it is an acreage or: a raw piece of land with no dwelling. The ultimate, indestructable piece of real estate and no tenant problems. But usually tough to mortgage and thus bad $s on $s invested.

You rent living space, i.e. sq ft, so the extra land is hard to "cash-flow" .. BUT: land appreciates whereas a dwelling deteriorates, so usually you have more equity upside potential in land (with or without a house) vs. an apartment.

We go one step further and buy many apartments also called a building or multi-family investment. You get more operating efficiencies, less cost per sq ft of living space and slightly better mortgage terms, i.e. a better long term hold potential, i.e. more $s on $s invested !

the money is made by holding LONG TERM, which is easier in an apartment building or a condo than a raw peice of land or a large house.

Real estate does NOT grow linearly .. it wobbles up and down an inflationary slope of 4-6% ON AVERAGE .. and in the last 3-4 years we were (across the globe in UK, Victoria, Australia, Spain, BC, AB ..) WELL above that 4-6% inflationary growth .. so even a drop of 30% from 2007 peak is NOT a surprise !!

Hence the emphasis on cash-flow so you can hold .. and weather out these troughs !! It is NOT a fast path to wealth .. don`t flip .. the time to buy pre-sales condos and sell them 2 years later for a huge gain (after realtor fees, tax, legal fees, ..) is over .. and the time to make a fast buck is over too !! It is a PROVEN LONG TERM PATH TO WEALTH .. if you are patient enough and can hold long term !

Why is real estate a great investment - (even in a flat market with no cash flow) ?

If you buy an asset with a 20% down-payment, and no positive cash-flow for 10 years, with:

a ) No appreciation (equity upside) :you have more than DOUBLED your money as the mortgage has been paid down over 20% !)

b ) 20% price increase (less than 4% annually compounded, below Canada`s long term average !!), you would have TRIPLED your money.

c ) 30% price increase (less than 6% annually compounded, about Canada`s long term average as house prices in Canada have doubled every 15 years in a normal economy !!) you would have made 250% on your money.

d ) 40% price increase (slightly higher than Canada`s long term average as house prices in Canada have doubled every 15 years in a normal economy, and AB has a better economy than the rest of Canada !!), you would have made 300% on your money, i.e. quadrupled it!

This latter scenario "d" is very likely in a strong economy like Alberta with cheap investor condos (or apartment buildings or cheaper townhouses or cheaper homes) - even if higher priced condos or houses are not so great an investment these days due to very high prices and ongoing negative cash-flow with 20-25% down! And yes, there may be better markets like SK or TX right now showing higher growth potential for the next few years due to lower prices .. but AB is OK too ! .. many markets have potential .. some more .. some less ..

HOLD ON TO YOUR (cash-flowing or at least break even) ASSETS .. AND ENJOY THE RIDE !!

Happy investing .. with cash-flow AND (at least inflationary) equity growth (in time ..) !!!!

I am so glad that I am involved in real estate investment. I totally agree with you on the long-term growth of real estate.

To answer the question, I tend to go for condos because they are easier for me. I am not trade-inclined here so the idea of maintaining an older bungalow is not very pleasant to me. I would probably end up spending more cash on immediate renovations and repairs. However, I do agree with the fact that suited properties have much better cash flow from all sources combined (and more buffer to rental market fluctuations).

Tommy

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (UrbanDwellings @ Oct 16 2008, 01:59 PM) Just wanted to hear why you RE investors invest in certain types of Real Estate. Condo`s seem to be much easier to maintain. (i`m talking about your average apartment style unit that shares majority of costs with entire building) However a House has many more streams of income you can utilize to obtain a higher cash flow.

Thanks,

I tend to find condos easier, as they`re a more typical dwelling to the apartment crowd of dedicated renters. Those are also most likely to be your most consistent group of renters no matter what the market does.

thejules

REIN Member
I really like the idea of a low maintenance properties. I know that four & five plexes give the best chance for positive cash flow. But most of these are very management intense. Some of these properties have a lot of deferred maintenance and repairs that for some reason need to address immediately by you the day you close a purchase on one of these. There is sometimes a lot of tenant turn over. This is why I like condominium apartments. They are low maintenance as far as tenants & repairs. You pay a condo fee that covers the roof, common hallways, doors & windows. These can be costly and time consuming to maintain. But you also want good cash flow so you have a self sustaining portfolio. And over a period of time you want a big portfolio. So a combination of these properties may be in order. So this is one property portfolio recommendation that I recommended to one up and coming investor. 1. Condos □□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□ 25 units property managed by some body else. +$1250/month cash flow

2. Townhomes & Single family homes
∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 8 units managed by you. + $560/month cash flow.

A few duplexes and one small multifamily four or five units.

▲▲▲ ██ 11 units managed by you with supt. + $1300/month cash flow.

Now this is a portfolio! And a conservative $3110 a month positive cash flow. And you`ll have the benefit of a 44 unit portfolio that you`re only managing 19 units of…

-height:100%">

This is very similar to my portfolio. And has afforded my family & me a very nice life style so far for this round of investing. Once we`re selling, we`ll be on to the next round of investing and our portfolio will look entirely different.

But that`s my path. Yours will be entirely different. I enjoy tenants and managing properties. I love my properties and enjoy great business relationships with all of my tenants. Some of them have been with me for 5 years. And they don`t have any plans of leaving. Keep in mind, this is a business. And you`re in the business of providing adequate and affordable housing in the community. Customer relations are a big part of that. Take good care of your tenants and they`ll take good care of you!

I said all that to say this; I can provide many homes for people to rent and manage them well when they are Condominiums...
style_emoticons

jkcomm

Registered
I had great interest in reading this topic and thanks to everyone who put in their expert advice!

Sometime in the future (5 years perhaps) my wife and I will likely move into investing condos as well due to its low maintenance requirement. We just started this year with 2 properties.

Thomas - if I remembered correctly you had some past dealings with Platinum Properties Group in Vancouver. Do they have a rigourous due diligence approach before rolling out units for sale? I heard nothing but good comments for them and that they do a full-on analysis for each project.

James
style_emoticons

RCC

Registered
I found this an interesting topic as I was just thinking about this.
What are your thoughts on purchasing a 4 bedroom condo apartment 8 years old vs. a 70 year old 3 bedroom house with 1 additional BR in basement. Prices are similar.
Which would be a better investment property for rental?

Top Bottom