Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How about self storage investment

Luxmal

Registered
Anyone investing or has invested in self storage units? Please give your opinion on this one:

Project Description

Self Storage Facility

Total S.F. =81,000

Total Acres=4.3

Year Build: 2005

Net Occupied Space - Today: 32,000 SF

Gross Income: $384,000

Operating Expenses: $250,000

Net Operating Income - Pre Debt: $134,000

Asking price: $2,500,000

Thanks in advance.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Luxmal @ Nov 12 2010, 08:17 PM) Anyone investing or has invested in self storage units? Please give your opinion on this one:

Net Operating Income - Pre Debt: $134,000

Asking price: $2,500,000
considering it too !

this is a 6% CAP .. ridicolously high !

aim for a 12% CAP .. so maybe $1.2M tops !

Luxmal

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Nov 12 2010, 08:36 PM) considering it too !

this is a 6% CAP .. ridicolously high !

aim for a 12% CAP .. so maybe $1.2M tops !

In US, average occupied rate is around 60%. This one only 40% , got room to improve. If get 50% or 60% lease up, the return would higher than 12%. I like to get it cheap. but the seller won`t sell it for $1.2m. Maybe an offer $1.6m?

Pheenix

REIN Member
QUOTE (Luxmal @ Nov 12 2010, 10:01 PM) In US, average occupied rate is around 60%. This one only 40% , got room to improve. If get 50% or 60% lease up, the return would higher than 12%. I like to get it cheap. but the seller won`t sell it for $1.2m. Maybe an offer $1.6m?

As with any RE investment the devil is in the details. The due diligence on this type of project is similar to other RE activities but you have to go a few steps further. This type of project also has to be regarded as a `retail` operation, and not just `passive` real estate; it is a specific use, in this specific area, of the city in question.

How long has it been on the market, there are large scale operators with very substantial cash cushions making acquisitions, is this below their radar or have they given it a pass (and if so why)?

Do you have on your team the necessary skills to manage this and if not can it be acquired and still provide the target return?

Have you researched the markets ability to support this project, is it well located by the metrics of the industry, what is the competitive landscape, both in terms of existing competition but new entrants? Is the market over built?

Is this rent up rate reasonable for the locale or has there been mis-management? Are the expenses accurate or is this a `mom & pop` who have not included their salaries? How much of the cost structure is variable to the occupancy rate vs the ability to pump the bottom line? What is the type of construction, as this will dictate the maintenance cost curve.

There is a reason it is 40% occupied at this point and you need to be absolutely positive that you know why and that you can sufficiently improve that. Is this down from a higher level or is it still improving?

I don`t mean to sound discouraging but the link below indicates declining occupancies and rents, with increasing incentives to attract clients across most regions of the US, don`t assume you can buck the trend unless you have the experience. I suspect that lenders are well aware of this trend and will be wary of an inexperience operator with a weak revenue stream.

http://blackswanzine.com/2010/01/11/self-s...nd-development/

It is not a good deal if you can`t get the numbers to work. My points are rhetorical and only meant to stimulate your thinking, if you haven`t already covered them off.

I wish you well.

Luxmal

Registered
QUOTE (Pheenix @ Nov 12 2010, 10:28 PM)
As with any RE investment the devil is in the details. The due diligence on this type of project is similar to other RE activities but you have to go a few steps further. This type of project also has to be regarded as a 'retail' operation, and not just 'passive' real estate; it is a specific use, in this specific area, of the city in question.

How long has it been on the market, there are large scale operators with very substantial cash cushions making acquisitions, is this below their radar or have they given it a pass (and if so why)?

Do you have on your team the necessary skills to manage this and if not can it be acquired and still provide the target return?

Have you researched the markets ability to support this project, is it well located by the metrics of the industry, what is the competitive landscape, both in terms of existing competition but new entrants? Is the market over built?

Is this rent up rate reasonable for the locale or has there been mis-management? Are the expenses accurate or is this a 'mom & pop' who have not included their salaries? How much of the cost structure is variable to the occupancy rate vs the ability to pump the bottom line? What is the type of construction, as this will dictate the maintenance cost curve.

There is a reason it is 40% occupied at this point and you need to be absolutely positive that you know why and that you can sufficiently improve that. Is this down from a higher level or is it still improving?

I don't mean to sound discouraging but the link below indicates declining occupancies and rents, with increasing incentives to attract clients across most regions of the US, don't assume you can buck the trend unless you have the experience. I suspect that lenders are well aware of this trend and will be wary of an inexperience operator with a weak revenue stream.

http://blackswanzine.com/2010/01/11/self-s...nd-development/

It is not a good deal if you can't get the numbers to work. My points are rhetorical and only meant to stimulate your thinking, if you haven't already covered them off.

I wish you well.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful. I will dig deeper to find more information.

Pheenix

REIN Member
QUOTE (simharare @ Nov 13 2010, 02:19 AM) It recognizes first hand the need to provide profit oriented professional marketing and management services for an industry experiencing radical changes as we enter the new millennium.Self storage allows you more control over your investment.By selecting a custom-made business venture, you will maximize your returns and build a substantial net worth over time.

Put another way, self storage was on a rapid growth curve through to about the mid nineties, a stablization (but not plateau) into the first decade post 2000 and is now entering a more mature phase. The management needs and investment returns have changed and will change some more.

DenisEncontre

Registered
QUOTE (Luxmal @ Nov 12 2010, 09:01 PM) In US, average occupied rate is around 60%. This one only 40% , got room to improve. If get 50% or 60% lease up, the return would higher than 12%. I like to get it cheap. but the seller won`t sell it for $1.2m. Maybe an offer $1.6m?

Remember you are purchasing based on the current numbers. The future is for the buyer not the seller.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (rcprog @ Nov 13 2010, 04:21 PM) Remember you are purchasing based on the current numbers. The future is for the buyer not the seller.
true in theory .. but in practice the current price asked is influenced by the real or perceived future upside !

As pointed out, any asset class has its own challenges and very thorough due diligence is required on asset, location (micro and macro), financing options, upside (if any), management, costs, revenues ...

Goodstuff

Registered
Would it not be a better idea to buy some land in a good location and build it yourself?

Seems to me it would be cheaper, you`d have a brand new (attractive) facility with no baggage from the previous owner (reputation, etc.) and likely would be able to write down more as well.

I can`t imagine it taking more than a few months to build. Just need concrete pads and a bunch of pre-built storage pods. And a wall / fence, an office and a sign.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Goodstuff @ Nov 16 2010, 01:29 AM) Would it not be a better idea to buy some land in a good location and build it yourself? ... Just need concrete pads and a bunch of pre-built storage pods. And a wall / fence, an office and a sign.
and design drawings and municipal permits and utility hook ups and time to lease it up and different financing (2x: to build .. then to re-fi when leased up) !

Permits might take longer than actual construction ! Plus financing is very hard to get for it too ! So likely far more cash required than buying a (used) existing facility !

It is not necessarily a better idea .. just ANOTHER business model .. not necessarily better or worse.

Top Bottom