Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How do you become an appraiser?

MarkTorgerson

REIN Member
Hi

I have a friend that is interested in becoming an appraiser. Does anyone have any suggestions on what her first steps would be? She has already contacted the existing ones in Medicine Hat and they don`t have any interest in taking on someone new. Does she need to work under someone or can she take the courses and go on her own? I have no experience in this field and was hoping that there is someone out there that does.

Thanks

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (MarkTorgerson @ Nov 19 2009, 11:24 PM) ..
I have a friend that is interested in becoming an appraiser. Does anyone have any suggestions on what her first steps would be?
you take a degree, such as one offered by UBC in Vancouver .. then get certified ! a 4+ year process . shorter if you have some relevant courses already !

UBC offers a long distance option: http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs2/RealEst...ada/default.htm

There may be other schools ..

kanabel

Registered
QUOTE (MarkTorgerson @ Nov 19 2009, 11:24 PM) Hi

I have a friend that is interested in becoming an appraiser. Does anyone have any suggestions on what her first steps would be? She has already contacted the existing ones in Medicine Hat and they don`t have any interest in taking on someone new. Does she need to work under someone or can she take the courses and go on her own? I have no experience in this field and was hoping that there is someone out there that does.

Thanks

Hi Mark,

As Thomas mentioned UBC`s Sauder School of Business and Lakeland College in Vermilion, AB, offer 2 year diploma program. However, I am unsure how much more time you need to get certified and/or whether you need certification (designation), in order to get hired by someone, or be able to work by yourself. I was interested myself and I found UBC Sauder school better as it offers distance learning program. But, in my case dilemma is if other real estate professions, ie. real and mortgage agents occupations offer same or more of reward for much less time needed for education and certification. That was just my point of view. Hopefully, some appraiser on this forum could give us more insights.

Dejan

MarkTorgerson

REIN Member
QUOTE (kanabel @ Nov 21 2009, 11:15 AM) Hi Mark,

As Thomas mentioned UBC`s Sauder School of Business and Lakeland College in Vermilion, AB, offer 2 year diploma program. However, I am unsure how much more time you need to get certified and/or whether you need certification (designation), in order to get hired by someone, or be able to work by yourself. I was interested myself and I found UBC Sauder school better as it offers distance learning program. But, in my case dilemma is if other real estate professions, ie. real and mortgage agents occupations offer same or more of reward for much less time needed for education and certification. That was just my point of view. Hopefully, some appraiser on this forum could give us more insights.

Dejan

Thank you all for the wonderful information. I had no idea that the process took that long of a time. It does make you wonder why a person would go this route over top of a realtor when it comes to education, money and opportunity......

Top Bottom