Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How do you determine the appreciation of a Investment Property?

Lucas

Registered
Thanks for the reply Greg.

I too have seen my share of "the gross under-estimation of related costs" in this business. The vast majority of investors, however absorb their negative cash-flow because they either have another business or a full/part-time job. Very few are full-time investors and while their dream may be to do Real Estate full-time (not always), they have trouble purchasing based on the criteria I discussed in my earlier post.

One reason for this is that most rely too heavily on Real Estate networks and/or Real Estate professionals (Realtors, Property Managers, etc...). Not to say that both don't add value to the investors efforts but both have a distinct conflict of interest with regard to the investor's purchases and the subsequent management of the asset.

Another reason is most investors do not apply a sufficient amount of patience, discipline, focus and clarity in their business.

The reality is that most investors invest on a part-time basis and, if they stick out their purchases for 5 to 20 years, will enjoy a great "nest-egg" type payoff on their investment based on asset appreciation and mortgage pay-down. Very few live off their cash-flow and/or invest in Real Estate full time. In fact, most investors position themselves in a break-even or negative cash flow position.

Its not really a failure as you allude to...its a different level of success compared to those that have chosen to focus completely on Real Estate investing and make it a full time job.

Lucas

housingrental

Registered
+1

[quote user=invst4profit]Ideally your points are correct Lucas however this assumes investors have the skills and abilities to achieve the points you mention.

Unfortunately most novice investors, even with the assistance of REIN, are not capable of managing there business as you have outlined which places into question how realistic it actually is to invest in real estate for appreciation. The vast majority of new businesses fail in the first 5 years which falls far short of what is required to benefit from appreciation.How many failures are there compared to successes. How many vastly underestimate expenses resulting in negative cash flow or fail to even consider the consequences of "bad tenants". All too many exit this business far before they can enjoy the benefits of appreciation. Unfortunately few if any advertise there failed attempts to enter into this risky business.

Real world I believe Adams statements are more realistic in regards to this topic.

Top Bottom