Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How do you verify tenants who are on a fixed income

Gem612

Registered
I`m in the process of looking for a tenant for my 1 bedroom apartment. I found a really nice lady who is currently retired. Her references and credit are outstanding but I`m not sure how to verify her income? REIN experts in the spirit of due diligence how can I verify her income if she`s currently retired?

invst4profit

Registered
As a retiree she must have some form of income whether it be employer pension, old age or Canada pension or possibly investment income. Ask her to show proof of income for the past 6 months or last years income tax return. It is her problem not yours as to how she proves income.

Gem612

Registered
Thank you for getting back to me. I normally ask for a job letter from their employer. This is the first time I`ve encounter this situation so I`m not sure what to ask for. I was thinking 2012 income tax assessment but I was feeling like that might be a little overboard?

invst4profit

Registered
As a landlord we need to be extra careful as to whom we entrust our property to and as such there is no such thing as being intrusive. Many applicants will take offense to us asking for SI# and drivers licence but they simply have the option of looking else where if they do not want to provide the info.

Personally when I have a applicant that refuses to provide all the information I ask for regardless of how intrusive I figure I dodged a bullet. If they do not respect the fact that I chose to protect my property and other tenants by thoroughly screening then I do not want them and they they do not deserve to have me as a landlord.

Gem612

Registered
You are so right! Thank you for the sound advice. I need to change the way I'm looking at things.

Top Bottom