Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How often should the furnace filter be replaced?

Nir

REIN Member
Hello,

It`s a triplex and the tenant told me he replaces it (it`s in the basement) every month(?!) Is this correct or every 3 months is the standard?

THANKS.

mortgageman

Registered
It depends on how dirty the ducts are, how dusty the house is, if there's pets. etc.

So it could very well be monthly. Go with the cheap $2 or $3 filters and change them up monthly. I've heard the higher rated filters end up making furnaces run hotter and ultimately break down sooner.

QUOTE (investmart @ Feb 6 2008, 11:58 AM)
Hello,

It's a triplex and the tenant told me he replaces it (it's in the basement) every month(?!) Is this correct or every 3 months is the standard?

THANKS.

brentdavies

Registered
once a month is the norm, if you have a new furnance. Old furnances can go 3 months between changes.

Monthly is very important if you have air conditioning. ( Not too many in edmonton)

I buy a case of 12 filters and leave on site for the tenant to replace, ( cost is $12)

GlennLasiuta

Registered
QUOTE (brentdavies @ Feb 6 2008, 04:06 PM)
once a month is the norm, if you have a new furnance. Old furnances can go 3 months between changes.

Monthly is very important if you have air conditioning. ( Not too many in edmonton)

I buy a case of 12 filters and leave on site for the tenant to replace, ( cost is $12)

Hello all.

I've used these 'electrostatic' furnace filters from RONA that are re-useable, and they recommend cleaning it once a month. All that is involved in that process is to wash it in warm water. Seems to catch quite a bit more than those 'cheapies' do. Also, it has an aluminum frame, so it doesn't get bent out of shape like its cardboard counterparts will.

Thoughts/comments if you have used these before? Thanks, have a great day.

Glenn

brentdavies

Registered
Filters are available at RONA . Have not check on home depot, but I would assume they would carry the same.

The cheapest is 99 cents and range to up to $10.

The cheap filters are up high on their shelf, and the expensive ones are in front.

I buy the cheap ones, and leave them on site for the tenants to replace.

If you need a special size, the BGE THE Filter Shop on the south side of edmonton will make filters to match, at about $6 per filter.

L

lanedry77

I too have been told a number of times that the cheapest filters work the best, as long as they`re replaced more frequently. That has come from the mouths of inspectors, and furnace installers/repair people.

so, we use the cheap ones, and replace them every couple months in the winter.

David.

GarthChapman

Registered
We try to do this every two months, and also use the cheapest filters as they allow the furnce to breathe better than the more expensive ones. With our newer tenants we do the filter change ourselves as it allows us to see how tenants are treating the property.

Nir

REIN Member
Thank you everyone for providing all the information I needed on the topic!

Neil

sstokes

REIN Member
If your properties are managed, how do you handle changing furnace filters. It's very expensive to have someone from the property mgmt company drop in to change them. I guess I could ask them to drop off a supply at the beginning of the heating season, but then how do you ensure that the tenants are changing them?

Has anyone tried writing it into the lease - in a similar fashion to lawn care (though the neighbours won't complain if your tenant doesn't change the furnace filter)? More difficult to enforce, though a fellow investor suggested writing it into the lease that if the furnace stops working because of a clogged filter, that the tenants are responsible for the repairs.

I'd love to hear how others are handling this.

Thanks,

Susan

georgefung

Registered
Hi Susan,

One of my properties with a furnace is managed by a 3rd party property manager. Utilities are in the tenant's name.

In my initial welcome letter to my new tenant, I clearly encouraged the tenant to change the filters as often as every month by mentioning the following in my letter:

- Changing furnace filters helps reduce the tenant's utility costs.

- Tenant is welcome to change them as often as every month to keep utility costs low.

- I (landlord) will gladly replenish the filters when tenant runs out.

And I leave 12 filters beside the furnace before the tenant moves in.

So far, it has worked well, and my tenant has been changing filters monthly.

I've also started the procedure of performing my own maintenance inspection at my professionally managed properties at least once every year, so I can check that the filters are being replaced and also replenish the filters at that time.

FYI, I don't buy the really cheap filters, but I don't use the expensive 3M ones, either. I use a cheaper pleated filter from Home Depot or Canadian Tire (whichever place has a sale).

Remember: it's YOUR furnace, not the tenants. We all know how much a new furnace costs, so you want that furnace to last as long as possible, so it's in your best interest to ensure that it's cared for. Some homeowners don't even remember to change them, so you can't always rely on tenants to change them as often as you wish.

Good luck.

George

Top Bottom