How to say no to prospective tenants

Goodstuff

Registered
I`m currently advertising one of my condos for rent.
I`ve had a dozen people look at it and many of them say they`d like to rent it.
I`ve narrowed it down to a few, but it`s always hard to tell the others that I have chosen someone else, especially when they say that they REALLY hope to move into it and they seem like very nice people.

Anyone had this feeling before?
How do you handle it?

Also, which would you choose?

A: Single, recently divorced working mother with a well paying job, small child, plus parents

B: Married mother with two pre-teens, father working in another country for next 2 years

C: Two single early 20`s females

Thanks!

invst4profit

Registered
You need to operate strictly at a business level. If you are having difficulty at this stage eliminating emotions you will have far greater problems if they begin to make excuses for why there rent is late.
Keep everything strictly business. For me applicants are strictly a collection of information and do not become people until they are tenants.

Personal I would not chose any of the three cases you have listed for various reasons but I I had to I would chose #1 and simply inform the others you have rented to someone else. No explanation required.

#2 will result in too much damage to the unit and #3 is far too risky. One of the tenants in #3 will leave and the other will likely not be able to or want to continue or worse bring in someone you have not adequately screened.

I assume you have done or will be doing complete background and credit checks before accepting a tenant.

housingrental

Registered
The info you`ve listed should be the least important factors impacting your decision
Look to references from current and past landlord, payment history / credit checks, employment and income (verified? stable?) or assets

QUOTE (Goodstuff @ May 31 2009, 04:46 AM) I`m currently advertising one of my condos for rent.
I`ve had a dozen people look at it and many of them say they`d like to rent it.
I`ve narrowed it down to a few, but it`s always hard to tell the others that I have chosen someone else, especially when they say that they REALLY hope to move into it and they seem like very nice people.

Anyone had this feeling before?
How do you handle it?

Also, which would you choose?

A: Single, recently divorced working mother with a well paying job, small child, plus parents

B: Married mother with two pre-teens, father working in another country for next 2 years

C: Two single early 20`s females

Thanks!

Goodstuff

Registered
Thanks for your input.

It`s always good to get others` opinions to keep my head straight.
You`re right. Keep the emotion out of it if you`re going to survive this game.
Very good point.