Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How To Screen Out Smokers

GrahamWhite

Registered
I have found a very simple way to screen out smokers. On my application form I have two boxes:

[ ] # SMOKE OUTSIDE
[ ] # NON-SMOKERS

Anyone who checks off "Smoke Outside" I simply assume will smoke INSIDE and then decide if I`m willing to have that unit smoked in.

If you decide that you can live with some smoking in your unit, you need to meet all tenants and make some determinations based on their smell, appearance and other indicators to get a sense of how heavy their habit is.

There`s a big difference between "responsible" smokers and chain smokers - CHAIN SMOKERS WILL RUIN YOUR UNIT THE SAME WAY THAT HAVING A FIRE WILL - SO BUDGET $10,000 - $40,000 DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF YOUR UNIT FOR WHEN THEY MOVE OUT.

TerryKruse

Registered
I have now put this notice on my rental application:
Please note that we have zero tolerance for smoking cigarettes or drugs on the premises.
If you smoke please find other accommodation.

I haven`t tried it out yet but I feel smokers would at least have had a warning before they move in. Although ads mention no smoking I think it is also good to have this on the application.

I also like the 2 boxes suggestion as an additional screen. Tenants do not always read everything on the application.

Cheers, Terry

GrahamWhite

Registered
Rather than warn them that I don`t want smokers, I want them to feel comfortable telling me that they are a smoker - then I can conveniently find another tenant if I so choose, instead of inconveniently find out that they`re a closeted smoker.

invst4profit

Registered
When I had rentals I always got up close and personal with my applicants.
There is nothing better than sitting in their car or visiting there present apartment to drop off forgotten paperwork before approving them. Smokers are rejected immediately.

Using this method it is best to not mention your non smoking policy until you have narrowed down your applicants.

Marek2086

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Out of curiosity are most landlords willing to lose a month or two of rent to find non smokers. In Ontario we can simply state there is no smoking in the apartment and we can legally kick them out for smoking if it is a non-smoking unit. Over the last 2 years we only had one complaint/incident where people smoked inside and they immediately took it outside once we gave them the notice. On average I would say at least half of the potential tenants we screen are smokers. Would you prefer a smoker with an Ideal application or a non-smoker with a mediocre credit. Or do you wait until you have the ideal non-smoker even if it cost you 2 months rent.

invst4profit

Registered
In Ontario unless you can prove a smoker is having a serious adverse effect on other tenants or is causing extensive damage eviction is not a done deal.
Unfortunately eviction for smoking or any other reason is difficult and costly in Ontario.

Personally I chose to wait for a tenant that does not have obvious negative attributes. A months lost rental income is far better, in my opinion, than trying to get rid of a bad tenant.

TerryKruse

Registered
I renovate my rentals on possession and I prefer a vacancy rather than have someone smoking in my suite.

Before I changed my application, I was installing curtains upstairs when I smelled marijuana from the downstairs suite. I was able to confront the tenant on this and she is no longer in the suite.

I think it would be best to not have to deal with the problem in the first place. That`s why I stated the no tolerance policy in the application rather than the lease.

Just my 2¢

Terry

Top Bottom