Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to use your main investment scenario

gwasser

Registered
As part of risk management, the prudent investor looks at a number of possible investment scenarios or forecasts. These are `what if` cases and you don`t have to make them all yourself. You can use books or news paper articles as your scenario. For example, as your worst case scenario you could use Harry S. Dent`s book "The Great Depression Ahead` or Nouriel Roubini`s double dip news paper predictions. Just add to that your estimate as to how your investment portfolio would perform under those conditions and what you should do to protect yourself against such a scenario.

The best case scenario can also be found in news and book; for that I use authors like Jeremy Siegel. My favorite is his book: `The future for Investors`. Jeremy`s is not truly the sunniest scenario around, but if his long term scenario becomes true, I would be very happy. Yet his views (in my opinion) are quite realistic. So then I have to decide what is the most likely investment scenario for the coming year or five? This will set my ultimate investment course keeping the other scenarios in mind. My `Main Theme Scenario` is not static and adjusts on a nearly daily basis.

So how do I build this Main Theme Scenario? Well, it is by reading the news paper, watching BNN, reading books and surfing the internet. Obviously, you cannot take all you read seriously. In fact, the opposite is more likely the case – there is a lot of cr.p or more politely stated `noise` out there. That is why REIN`s Don Campbell always talks about `looking behind the curtain`. You also have to include an optimistic attitude when you read all this. If you`re a pessimist, why invest at all? You`re trying to make money (income and appreciation) from what you`re investing in – so you hope for better things to come. O yeah, there are those who short sell and hope to make money from doom and gloom. Reality though is that the future is bright and pessimists over long haul always miss the boat. The doers make this world, not the naysayers. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have an unshakeable vision of the future and they build big empires. I never heard of a perpetual pessimist who did create a large successful business. I am not saying that you have to put on rose colored glasses because they may not make you see the stumbling blocks on your path! But overall the successful investor has a long term view of societal progress.

Combine your MTS - I am such a geek and use this abbreviation for Main Theme Scenario
– with your Asset Allocation Spreadsheet (see earlier posts) to map out the near term road to you personal Belize. My last MTS was formulated October last year. Since then I have posted an update in April (`Godfried`s 10th forecast of the year`). By reading the news and following economic numbers (just a few, such as consumer confidence, unemployment, interest rates, durable goods index, etc.) I often look for good news during bad times (looking for light at the end of the tunnel) and for consistent bad news during the good times (clouds building at the horizon). So right now, I am looking for evidence that we won`t have a double dip and that the world is not coming to an end. When times are good it is easy to make money; when times are bad it is your priority is to protect your net worth while seeding the investments that make you money when the good times return. He, even Berkshire Hathaway has down days!

So after a while, you get your moment(s) that the pieces of the puzzle come together and the old MTS plus many pieces of daily information create a new snapshot of where we are and where we are likely to go in the investment world. This is the time when I sit down and write down my new MTS and use it to guide me in my investment decisions over the coming months. Jeremy Siegel is my long term investment optimistic scenario (my investment portfolio goal) and Harry S. Dent and Nouriel Roubini frame the downside and help me formulate the things I have to do in order not to lose my shirt if things turn sour, my MTS sets the near term investment direction.

Right now, my MTS paints a modestly rosy picture. We are coming out of a large down turn and stand at the beginning of a 3 to 5 year bull market. The TSX is likely to peak over the next years around 18000 (see some earlier posts). Real estate will appreciate between 3 to 6% percent per year and with homeowner ship declining there will be increased rental demand and higher rents. With higher interest rates (unavoidable in an improving economy) houses become less affordable; also home buyers may be a bit more conservative compared to the early 2000s. Baby boomers reach maximum savings years but will also keep on spending at levels much higher than previous generations. They also will keep on working to well into their seventies, despite their dreams of `freedom 55`. As said `freedom 55` was only a dream and certainly not the one baby-boomers worked for to achieve. If there is one thing I learned about my generation than it is that they say one thing and do something else entirely.

Everyone knows about the potential of China and other BRIC countries. The outcome will be likely as predicted but those markets are so fully priced based on those expectations that stock market profits are likely to be mediocre. My guess is that profits lay in Canada, the U.S. and W. Europe excluding the Mediterranean. Growth in these areas will be moderate but many `gurus` will underestimate the economic vigor of the old world and the old new world. Thus the P/E of their stock markets and other investment assets will remain reasonable and the combination of high dividend yields, improved rents, modest interest rates and low expectations will create a good and stable investment climate for the next 5 to 10 years. A true `Goldilocks` investment setting! The initial worries of double dip and other scares will gradually decrease and after climbing a long and slow wall of worry the TSX will reach 18,000 and real estate values will have increased by some 30 to 40% five years from now (from current Calgary levels). Vancouver real estate will be not as strong but still do well, with many Asian immigrants preferring the less hectic but prosperous lifestyle of Western Canada over the hectic growth and `ups and downs` of their home economy.

Canada overall will become the multicultural poster-child of the world – this will be our Golden age! But for now we`re climbing a slowly rising wall of worry. Focus should be on cash and cash flow. Investment opportunities will be plenty, but our forward looking view is obscured with potential stumbling blocks. Preservation of capital is number one; adding cash flow from good rental properties and dividend paying stocks is number two; buying only investments at the right price and reducing risk to a minimum is number three. Playing call options is just that, playing. It may come in handy from time to time but it is definitely not a priority. Don`t be in a hurry to buy; the current environment will offer plenty of opportunities so don`t shoot all your powder right now. And when everybody is shouting "Buy, buy, buy!", you sell, sell and … sell."

housingrental

Registered
How about sticking at least 10% of portfolio at cash min + extra portion for purchases?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Sep 10 2010, 08:00 AM) How about sticking at least 10% of portfolio at cash min + extra portion for purchases?
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, WRONG answers !

Godfried shows you a very good roadmap to a very complex problem, namely investing in flat to slow-growth markets for retiring baby boomers that have been burned big time in 2008/2009 ! The answer therefore is not as easy as "10%" ..

I agree 100% with him: focus on quality, focus on cash preservation (return OF your capital, then return ON your capital !!), focus on cash-flow or dividends, have ample reserves, buy low, be patient, be less greedy, sell into a boom ..

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Why did I take such a long break from myreinspace? There are so many intelligent people on here and so much to learn. Thanks Godfried and Thomas. :)

Rickson9

Registered
Speaking for myself I`ve never used a main investment scenario, mostly likely because there`s only so much that I can absorb mentally. Thanks for sharing this perspective!

housingrental

Registered
What do you view as wrong / take issue with above?
Its a good bare minimum path to ensure safety and ability to take on new opportunities as they present themselves!
Complex problems can have complex answers - but this shouldn`t preclude simple answers!

QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Sep 10 2010, 12:55 PM) Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, WRONG answers !

Godfried shows you a very good roadmap to a very complex problem, namely investing in flat to slow-growth markets for retiring baby boomers that have been burned big time in 2008/2009 ! The answer therefore is not as easy as "10%" ..

I agree 100% with him: focus on quality, focus on cash preservation (return OF your capital, then return ON your capital !!), focus on cash-flow or dividends, have ample reserves, buy low, be patient, be less greedy, sell into a boom ..

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Sep 11 2010, 05:42 PM) Its a good bare minimum path to ensure safety and ability to take on new opportunities as they present themselves! Complex problems can have complex answers - but this shouldn`t preclude simple answers!

Speaking for myself, I agree.

"Based on my own personal experience - both as an investor in recent years and an expert witness in years past - rarely do more than three or four variables really count. Everything else is noise."
- Marty Whitman, Founder Third Avenue Value Fund

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Sep 10 2010, 09:00 AM) How about sticking at least 10% of portfolio at cash min + extra portion for purchases?

What you are talking about is asset allocation. That is indeed why you make a Main Theme Scenario. The scenario tells you where you want to go and you do that by setting your asset allocation numbers, i.e. how much you are investing in each asset class (I created an extensive asset allocation Excel spreadsheet on my blog as well as an explanation of how it works).

The asset classes are also dependant on what you like as an investor. For example, you are not comfortable investing in the stock market because you don`t understand how it works. Well, one can learn more about such an asset class but in the meantime, since you don`t understand how it works (yet) you don`t invest in it. You stick to the stuff you understand. That is why Warren Buffett did not invest in high tech in the late 1990s. He just could not understand how these companies made money. So, he avoided them and that worked out quite well.

So you could divide your money in cash, real estate and GICs or Bonds or MICs based on what you understand. But do not use this as an excuse to avoid diversification because each asset class will get hit by setbacks sooner or later. So use your time to study other investment forms as well. Oh, you don`t have to understand the nitty gritty of each company that trades on the TSX or DOW, but a real estate investor with some experience in accounting can learn the basics of reading an annual report in no-time. There are organizations like the Canadian Shareowner Association (check their website) who have extensive databases of cleaned up corporate data that you can analyse with a minimum of knowledge to help you better understand this stuff in a matter of a view hours. It doesn`t make you an expert, but just like the REIN education, the shareowner assocation teaches you how it is done. It is an excellent starting point to get your feet wet.

I am currently heavily focussed on cash, so my asset allocation is 15% cash, 45% real estate, 40% stocks, bonds and gold. In case you`re wondering, my net cash flow from stocks and bonds is currently better than that from real estate. Hope this helps.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (gwasser @ Sep 12 2010, 08:12 AM) .. In case you`re wondering, my net cash flow from stocks and bonds is currently better than that from real estate. Hope this helps.
What kind of real estate, Godfried ? Vacant land and a vacation condo in Canmore ? What else ?

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Sep 12 2010, 10:21 AM) What kind of real estate, Godfried ? Vacant land and a vacation condo in Canmore ? What else ?

Retirement home investments (cap rate 6% plus in CALGARY); rental units in Edmonton (very dissappointing due to high bed bug operating costs and high vacancies in Don`s favorite area but great value increase over last 5 years and past cash flow was quite decent). Calgary self-managed rental bought in 2008, OK cashflow but declined in value further even when bought after a significant price decline from the peak. Bareland in BC. All is low leverage. Recreational properties that are expensive to run and in this economic climate with a huge decline in revenue and also in value. I am overall doing ok, but stock market dividends from high yielding companies, preferred shares and corporate bond yields are providing better cash flow and no cash calls for unexpected renovations.

Yes there was a value decline but despite the current tough stock market I am maybe 10% below my market peak values. Of course, being a multiple cash flow guy, I also still receive income from teaching geology courses and selling real estate. The latter is now getting close to break-even (including licensing money, brokerage fees and education) but being a realtor is expensive and a lot tougher than I thought. I nay look for extra cash flow by working as a geological consultant.

Like other baby-boomers work is social interaction and we like to have that because sitting behind a computer and posting on REIN or facebook goes only so far. Also, I like to hike around Canmore but not everyday and certainly not when it rains or is cold. Don`t get me wrong, as a semi-retiree I have lots of things to do. But... strangely enough I would like to be financially rewarded for all that hopping around. So I think it is back to geology where there is still a lot to learn and where I have a lot of friends to interact.

Calgary real estate prices and opportunities are becoming increasingly attractive, yet, other than my retirement home investments, it is still tough to cash flow significantly. Many properties have `hair on them` and so cash flow would be low for the foreseeable future. With leverage and patience, you will probably obtain good ROIs but for now a guy like me who wants cash-flow and more cash-flow will still be very cautious before moving ahead. Good dividend paying stocks are right now easy to buy and... if you really need the cash, you can sell them off at a moment notice. Right now use a short term corporate bond ETF for holding excessive cash, it provides a 2-3% yield and is very liquid especially went bought through a discount broker.

For many investors it is now a very frustrating time. We have recovered significantly from the panic of 2008, but other than living of investment income there has been no real progress in terms of net worth. The last four years has been weeding the weak and repositioning the strong investments. After jumping through all these hoops the only thing I can claim is that my investments are fortified but the rewards are still to come two-three years out.

Some people may think that this is all extremely conservative stuff. When younger (and less experienced) you may want to take on more risk because you have time and opportunity to make up for losses. Also, younger people may not have the bruises to recognize risk, which is one of the most difficult things to learn as an investor. But for me, my approach is working and overtime this system has proven it self. I am a relative newby in real estate (now some 10 years).

Rather than Thomas, who wanted to create this incredible 1200-unit real estate empire - for me real estate began as a form of diversification. The stock market by itself is not enough as many have learned the hard way. But I must say that if I include my time invested in real estate in the overall ROI calculation it is not as good as many make it out to be. When others work on a well paying employment job, the real estate investor runs around addressing one issue after the other. This can be very rewarding for an entrepreneur and as Thomas and Don and many others have shown it can be financially very rewarding. But it is not for everyone.

The key to becoming wealthy is generating cash flow and acquiring money generating investments. Especially early on, earnings from your work - whether through employment or entrepreneur ship - go towards your investments first and lifestyle second. If you get truly wealthy, buying that Mercedes will be trivial and so who cares, but when building wealth, it is the last thing you need. Strangely enough, after building your wealth over the long term, by the time that you are capable of buying such a luxury item you may no longer desire it. But as pointed out elsewhere these are matters of personal lifestyle choices.

Sometimes I feel I am way to open about my personal investment dealings but it is kind of my way of giving back to the community. I hope that my experience helps others find the way to prosperity. It is in principle very simple but it is also extremely tough to hold on to your plan - your road map to your personal Belize.

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Sep 12 2010, 01:44 PM) ... by the time that you are capable of buying such a luxury item you may no longer desire it...

I have defintely found this to be true!

Personally I appreciate your contributions gwasser! Thanks for sharing.

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Sep 12 2010, 11:06 AM) Thank you for the thoughts Rickson9
USA excluded you make a lot of sense

What can I say. I`m young and naive!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (gwasser @ Sep 12 2010, 10:44 AM) .. by the time that you are capable of buying such a luxury item you may no longer desire it. ..
so wise .. money / net worth is indeed about having OPTIONS .. which one may or may not exercise !

housingrental

Registered
Awesome post
I will especially second:

But I must say that if I include my time invested in real estate in the overall ROI calculation it is not as good as many make it out to be. When others work on a well paying employment job, the real estate investor runs around addressing one issue after the other

The key to becoming wealthy is generating cash flow and acquiring money generating investments. Especially early on, earnings from your work - whether through employment or entrepreneur ship - go towards your investments first and lifestyle second. If you get truly wealthy, buying that Mercedes will be trivial and so who cares, but when building wealth, it is the last thing you need. Strangely enough, after building your wealth over the long term, by the time that you are capable of buying such a luxury item you may no longer desire it. But as pointed out elsewhere these are matters of personal lifestyle choices.

Sometimes I feel I am way to open about my personal investment dealings but it is kind of my way of giving back to the community. I hope that my experience helps others find the way to prosperity

Berubeland

Registered
I third and thanks for being so open and honest about yourself Godfried.

The bottom line is that it may be simple to acquire wealth and property BUT... It isn`t easy. It requires vision and planning today for better tomorrows. It means doing things differently than most of your peers. It means investing in yourself and your future. It means learning and continuously trying to better oneself, admitting mistakes and trying new tactics.

Cheers

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (Berubeland @ Sep 13 2010, 02:59 PM) The bottom line is that it may be simple to acquire wealth and property BUT... It isn`t easy. It requires vision and planning today for better tomorrows. It means doing things differently than most of your peers. It means investing in yourself and your future. It means learning and continuously trying to better oneself, admitting mistakes and trying new tactics.

Cheers

Great comment. So true!

Top Bottom