Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How walkable is a location

timk519

Registered
This website checks out how `walkable` a location is. This could be useful in help deciding which properties to purchase and creating advertising copy for existing rental properties.

http://www.walkscore.com

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Tim,

That`s Awesome! I just typed in the address for the Apartment building I`m putting an offer in on today. Is there anything that`s not online? And how did you find this.

Thanks!

navaz

Registered
QUOTE (timk519 @ Nov 20 2007, 09:17 AM) This website checks out how `walkable` a location is. This could be useful in help deciding which properties to purchase and creating advertising copy for existing rental properties.

http://www.walkscore.com

interesting

timk519

Registered
QUOTE (RebeccaBryan @ Nov 20 2007, 10:23 AM) That`s Awesome! I just typed in the address for the Apartment building I`m putting an offer in on today. Is there anything that`s not online? And how did you find this. Hi Rebecca - I`m a software developer, and came across this particular service in a blog I frequent.

How did your Apartment building fare in terms of "walkability"?

FayWong

Registered
QUOTE (timk519 @ Nov 20 2007, 08:17 AM) This website checks out how `walkable` a location is. This could be useful in help deciding which properties to purchase and creating advertising copy for existing rental properties.

http://www.walkscore.comI am not impressed. I put my own address in. They said the closest grocery store was 13 k away, Sobeys is across the street, Safeway 1k away and Co-op across the street from Safeway. Home depot they put at 8k when the closest is 2.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Tim,

I agree with Fay, it`s not that accurate. I put the apartment building in and it was missing the grocery store 1 block away.

I hope potential renters don`t use this!

timk519

Registered
QUOTE (RebeccaBryan @ Nov 21 2007, 04:31 PM) I agree with Fay, it`s not that accurate. I put the apartment building in and it was missing the grocery store 1 block away.
I hope potential renters don`t use this! Consider what it would take to get a 100% accurate "measure."
style_emoticons
I`m thinking it`s querying Google (maps?) for certain categories of information, and then posting those locations.

So, even if it`s not 100% accurate, at the very least it`ll help you when you`re doing preliminary research on an area, and can be considered useful as long as you remember it`s limitations.

Then again, there may be another web service which would do better.

GStroud

Registered
I also agree accuracey is not 100%. We are two blocks from endless walking trails in Fish Creek Park, plus Sikome lake and The RANCH restaurant and not to mention the glorious views of the mountains. It was interesting but very limited.
GS

Grant

Registered
It`s definitely a neat idea, but certainly not perfect. It doesn`t list a lot of stores close to me, either. All it appears to do is use Google Maps listings, so if a store or service isn`t online, it won`t count it.

Top Bottom