Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How would the investment world look like with a stagnating economy?

gwasser

Registered
Here is a ‘what-if’ scenario that seems to become increasingly relevant. With spending by Baby-boomers on hold and increased savings levels, a world of excess cash, reduced corporate leverage and less consumer debt seems to become reality.

Economic growth is often linked to increased residential construction and sales. The U.S. is far from that situation and some predict that foreclosures will probably not peak until 2013 - reasons to forecast muted economic growth.

Corporations like Apple, Microsoft, Brookfield, Exxon-Mobil and many others sit on huge piles of cash and short term treasuries in the U.S. are in such a demand that interest rates are virtually zero. Banks and mortgage lenders appear to be the major beneficiaries because the spread between their lending capital costs (often borrowed or from deposits and short term funds) and the rate on consumer loans and mortgages is horrendous. Also, because not all loans that were written down in the 2008 down turn were bad, many of them are upgraded and added to the banks` corporate profits. Insurance companies are often dependant on good stock market returns (think Berkshire Hathaway or closer to home, Manulife) and will likely be less prosperous.

So where do we find the returns if these muted economics prevail? Many investors would turn to emerging markets such as China’s and those of other BRIC countries. Yes Chinese and Indian economies will likely grow faster than those of the West and their demands for commodities will be steadily increasing as well. But just like with growth companies, the stocks in these markets are highly priced (because of these well known high growth expectations – it is already build into the market) and so profits will be limited not to speak of other investment risk such as poor disclosure as well as different business and accounting standards, etc.

Dividend paying companies provide attractive yields, but are these yields sustainable? Especially when it seems that every other investor is chasing those deals. Strangely enough, “investors” still act very irrational. Risky companies such as Apple depending on one or a few persons, or depending on ‘being in fashion’ still attract the highest prices. In market value, Apple equals Microsoft. However, Microsoft makes twice the profits, buys back shares and has an enormous stash of cash. In fact on an after cash basis, Microsoft’s P/E is around 8 or 9. It has a dividend yield of 2.2% which it can increase without sweat.

People focus on consumer items such as i-phones, but do not look at who dominates the corporate high tech world. New releases of Windows and Microsoft Office are likely to bring in oodles of additional cash. The successful presence of Microsoft in the gaming world (Xbox) and the inroads Microsoft makes in the search engine markets against Google are ignored.

Similar are investments in oil companies many of which are in enviable positions. Companies like Canadian Natural Resources who just started their Horizon Heavy Oil mine and with SAGD projects that produce enormous amounts of oil and... cash. The company is repaying its debt at a very impressive rate while it does acquisitions that it considers ‘play money’ barely worth a press release. Exxon Mobil has been dragged down with the BP debacle but it is well managed, diversified, extremely profitable and pays an excellent dividend (nearly 3%). These companies don’t get the respect they deserve and their prices are cheap. You may need a while for markets to recognize the true value of these companies because they are ‘out-of-fashion’ but there is a lot of downside protection and some cash flow.

Interest rates would likely remain low in a stagnating economy, but yields on short corporate bonds are better than on short term treasuries. It is hard for individual investors to buy bonds and often they have a big fat commission build-in the price offered by the brokerage houses – an area that definitely requires more transparency. But investing in short term corporate bond indexes using ETFs such as offered by I-Shares or Barclays or Vanguard should be considered. You can buy 5 year laddered corporate bond funds as well. Just make sure that the commissions and MERs you pay are low. A 1.5% or higher commission on the purchase and again on the sale via a full-service brokerage does not cut it. Commissions under $10.00 when using discount brokerages, does make these investments attractive. In fact because of the liquidity of these investments augmented by the low commissions they form a good alternative to money market funds.

Another source of income to consider is MICs (Mortgage Investment Corporation) – where you become part of a pool of investment money lend out as mortgages. Not all MICs are created equal so do your research and again ensure transparency. A conservatively managed MIC should yield, even in this low interest rate environment, 8 to 9 percent.

Real Estate markets are offering increasingly better value especially when focussing on cash flow. In moderately priced markets such as Calgary or markets that have high rental rates compared to value as occur in many places in Eastern Canada, low leverage investments offer decent cash-on-cash returns especially when you include the ‘mortgage pay-down’ (see earlier posts). Appreciation of real estate may be muted in a stagnating economy so overall ROI would likely be modest. However, with more stringent CMHC rules to combat speculation and cautious banks, home ownership may become increasingly difficult which bodes well for rental demand.

Cash, capital preservation and cash flow will be even more important than under normal economic growth and the ROI expectations should be scaled back. Focus only on high-quality investments that can be bought for a cheap or reasonable price.

Since a stagnating economy is only one investment scenario, don’t lose sight of other scenarios. A double-dip and a moderate growth scenario look currently likely as well. So also ensure you are set up for some growth. In other words don’t abandon the stock market and don’t eliminate leverage completely - stay diversified and don’t stuff it all in your mattress.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (gwasser @ Aug 25 2010, 10:13 AM) Here is a `what-if` scenario that seems to become increasingly relevant. ...

For the full posting check my blog: http://www.canadiandiversifiedinvestor.com/

Exceptionally well written post, Godfried !!

Enlighten us why you

A) think that MICs can still yield a "safe" 8-9% !! Don`t they do that with
a) high risk assets, or
b) 2nd mortgages, or
c) construction loans ?

B) what an "ideal" leverage is in this new, slow growth world ??

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Aug 25 2010, 11:13 AM) Insurance companies are often dependant on good stock market returns (think Berkshire Hathaway or closer to home, Manulife) and will likely be less prosperous.

One commment on this. On Manulife`s last quarterly conference call, they talked about their huge loss for the quarter. It was mainly caused by two components, in approximately equal parts. The first was a big stock market decrease. This causes a loss on their stock portfolio and on the products where they`ve guaranteed a minimum of the return of capital on stock or mutual fund investment wrapped in insurance.

The second factor was the decrease in interest rates last quarter. That causes the value of their future liabilities (ie a life insurance or long term care payout to someone who will die or get sick far into the future) to increase. If rates are low, you need more $ now to make a payment into the future.

Increases in the stock market and interest rates will cause huge profits in the future, hopefully balancing out the huge loss booked last quarter.

So although Manulife (and lifecos in general) are exposed to the stock market, they also benefit from high interest rates. Which might make them a good natural hedge for real estate investors, who are generally hurt by high interest rates.

Warmest regards,

Michael

Edited to add: I should probably disclose that I recently purchased a position in Manulife stock. It has sold off significantly this year, and I feel there is value there. However, its extremely complex to analyze (a big reason I usually avoid large financial companies) so it`s probably a higher risk position.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Aug 26 2010, 09:11 AM) One commment on this. ...

So although Manulife (and lifecos in general) are exposed to the stock market, they also benefit from high interest rates. Which might make them a good natural hedge for real estate investors, who are generally hurt by high interest rates.

Warmest regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael for the supplementary insights.

Thomas, you made my day. Or better half a day, because you motivated me to do a spreadsheet calculation to determine what a safe level of leverage was in a stagnating economy. An economy where you may want to live of your net cash flow or at least where you would not have to ad cash from your own pocket.

The answer is a clear and indefinite.... possible and unlikely but probable... 55%

If you are interested in the details of my spreadsheet analysis it is explained on my blog ( http://www.canadiandiversifiedinvestor.com ). I do not guarantee it to be error free but it is my best estimate. Comments are appreciated.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Aug 25 2010, 09:47 PM) Exceptionally well written post, Godfried !!

Enlighten us why you

A) think that MICs can still yield a "safe" 8-9% !! Don`t they do that with
a) high risk assets, or
b) 2nd mortgages, or
c) construction loans ?

B) what an "ideal" leverage is in this new, slow growth world ??

Yes you can get a decent return on a solid MIC. I have invested in Abel Creek ( abelcreek.com ).

Abel Creek is an mortgage investment corporation where investors pool money. They pay a 3% administration fee and investors receive the remainder of the pool`s proceeds. Currently the average mortgage rate is 11 to 11.5% (lowered recently from 12-12.5%). Right now there are 40+ mortgages in the pool with two in default. Last month`s yield for investors was 8.55% (annualized) Pool size is $14 million.

Mortgages and owed interest are secured as first mortgages against the land value of the properties . The maximum amount lend is set at a significant discount (how much?) of the property`s appraised value. Even when in default the pool`s general manager is confident that principal and owed interest are likely recovered. The mortgage loans are construction/developer loans with a 1 to 2 year term. Since 2008, the height of the debt crisis there were 2 defaults. Principal and interest was recovered on one; the second is in progress to be resolved.

I am sure there are other MICs that are good as well.

housingrental

Registered
Great post!

To answer your question:

So where do we find the returns if these muted economics prevail?

Waterloo student housing investment

Consistency of revenue stream - unless the universities change pace from consistent growth and plans call for the continuation of this - rental demand will be there next year, 10 years from now, and 40 years from now.

Material barriers to entry on most streets for additional developments

Unequaled occupancy and collection rates from any other investment property source when properly managed

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Aug 26 2010, 06:59 PM) I support the ~50% DP thesis

I do not support the MIC investment strategy

Oops and I just had an additional twist to that MIC strategy. Don`t use your low interest LOC for a downpayment but for investment into a solid MIC. Say you have $10,000 to invest in a MIC at 8.5% that would be $850 income per year - you don`t get that kind of cash flow from a non-appreciating rental property.

Now the twist borrow another $10,000 from your LOC say at 2.5 to 3% per year interest. That is $250 to $300 annual interest costs for adding an extra $850 of income. So now your Equity is $10,000 (the original investment) giving a total of $1700 income minus $300 interest expense. That is a ROI of 14% per year using a 50% LTV.

If interest rates on my LOC rise and the ROI drops to an unattractive level I can always pull the investment in part or total within 1 or 2 months. Compare that to refinancing your mortgage!

Not bad eh? Try to cash flow that from a rental with $10,000 down!

Since I am overall too lowly leveraged, I am tempted!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Aug 26 2010, 05:59 PM) ..

I do not support the MIC investment strategy
why not ?

9-10% with low risk isn`t too bad for a passive investment !!

housingrental

Registered
Low risk... Until things go wrong... And there`s no liquidity for what its being loaned against...And this is most likely to happen around the time things fall apart.... Everyone has they`re own perception of risk. For me it`s gold, oil, and those.... Others see the world through different eye`s

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Aug 27 2010, 07:43 AM) .. MIC .. Low risk... Until things go wrong... And there`s no liquidity for what its being loaned against...And this is most likely to happen around the time things fall apart....
But isn`t this the same with directly owned real estate .. when things go bad in the economy you also do not want to unload immediately (at a loss) .. but hold on until times improve !!

The only issue I see with a MIC is that the upside is CAPPED, say 9% .. whereas in a directly owned piece of real estate or JV or syndication the upside is "unlimited" in a good, well located, well managed asset !

housingrental

Registered
Yes - Upside capped - for HIGHER risk!!!

99 times out of 100 most investors don`t have a good handle on all info needed to determine desireability of investment in MIC. The cost and time to do so is not economical for most small investors. The skill / funds to step in as needed is also limited.

QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Aug 27 2010, 03:12 PM) But isn`t this the same with directly owned real estate .. when things go bad in the economy you also do not want to unload immediately (at a loss) .. but hold on until times improve !!

The only issue I see with a MIC is that the upside is CAPPED, say 9% .. whereas in a directly owner piece of real estate or JV or syndication the upside is "unlimited" in a good, well located, well managed asset !

gwasser

Registered
Have you followed the economic news lately?

Things aren`t that bad afterall! Unemployment claims are down in the U.S. over the last 2 weeks. Uh? What? Oh and the European Central Bank announced that economic growth has increased from 1% in June to 1.4% today and sees future growth at 1.6%. What European credit crisis?

2nd quarter corporate earnings in the U.S. were better than expected. However the constant fretting about the economy has made consumers a bit more pessimistic (surprised?) and energy prices moved down so Canadian earnings were a bit less than expected.

And now the U.S. factory sector grew faster than expected in August.

"We`re in the middle of what is typically a growth scare, where the economic cycle slows down after an initial run up as stimulus fades and we transition from stimulus to having the economy standing on its own," said Jason Pride, director of investment strategy at Glenmede Investment and Wealth Management in Philadelphia.

I have no idea who Jason Pride is, but a lot of my experienced friends in the oil patch have recently little trouble to get jobs. That is a sudden turn-around; just a month ago everyone felt pretty down.

So, are we going to boom suddenly? Not likely but there is light at the end of this depressing quarter`s dark tunnel. Probably Ken Fisher`s statement that things are always different than the masses expected will be proven right again and September and October markets may surprise us positively. As Don Campbell allways says: "Ah... the W" (I paraphrased, Don never says `Oh... and Ah... `).

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Aug 29 2010, 10:42 AM) Yes - Upside capped - for HIGHER risk!!!

99 times out of 100 most investors don`t have a good handle on all info needed to determine desireability of investment in MIC. The cost and time to do so is not economical for most small investors. The skill / funds to step in as needed is also limited.
true in some case .. not true for others. Yes, stepping in a bailing out a MIC is hard to impossible. But, many MICs run 40-50 parallel projects .. and yes if one or 3 mortgages go south that is not good .. but the overall performance can still be decent. Also, if they lend 75% LTV or 120% on a construction project there is some equity left if they are in 1st position .. it just takes a while to crystalize the cash until asset is foreclosed on (as I just finding out with Liberty Mortgages .. money is likely safe due to LTV of 65% .. but what was meant to be a 12 month mortgages is now 24-30 months until all assets are sold at a decent price in a weak Kelowna land market)

I think one key to look at is TRACK RECORD and MANAGEMENT TEAM .. and also: INVESTMENT BY MANAGERS in their own MIC (or fund or LP for that matter).

There are four I have looked at and/or invested in:

Liberty Mortgages (individual per project syndicated mortgage, not a MIC, higher risk, 12-14%, but decent)
Fisgard (most 1st and some 2nds .. up to about 8 to 9%)
CareVest
TimberCreek

There are probably dozen others ..

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (addbo @ Sep 2 2010, 04:40 PM) ..Can you invest in these via a Self-directed RRSP?
yes you can .. although some MICs don`t allow it due to time delays and paper processing .. for example LibertyMortgages had a funding date on Friday and sent an email Monday .. and was sold out Wednesdays .. and an RRSP mortgage takes 2-3 weeks if the money is at the approved trustee (like OlympiaTrust or CWT) and 6-8 weeks if you have to shuffle money into a self-administered fund first that allows those more exotic investment instruments.

Top Bottom