I have to get this off my chest

gwasser

Registered
I am reading this weekend`s Globe and Mail - Globe Investor section. Something I like to do every Saturday morning, unwashed, in my bathrobe with a nice cup of java. My eye caught an article in the `Me and my money` column titled "Reliable returns with no risk`.

I guess a title suitable for these trying times. The subject of the column is David Trahair who for over 10 years invested in high `risk-assets and labour-sponsored funds`. The results are 1% per year return not counting the disastrous returns of the labour funds. Resentful Mr. Trahair fires his investment adviser, hires another (a fellow accountant) and starts to invest in GICs. To top it all off, he writes a best selling book titled "Smoke and Mirrors: Financial Myths that will Ruin Your Retirement". The book is now in it`s sixth edition and now he is writing a second one: `Enough Bull: How to retire Well Without the Stock Market, Mutual Funds or Even an Investment Advisor`.

His current GIC and bonds portfolio return is undisclosed, but heck "Even at today`s interest rates, you can still get 3.25 per cent on a 5-year GIC at ING Direct".... "And it is risk-free, unlike stocks."

I guess, at times like these, people are scared into the most extreme forms of `conservative investing` and they fall for the BS above. I bet, Mr. Trahair makes more money from his nasty books than from his portfolio. Consider that the 3.25% is probably his best - not his average return. After inflation his portfolio has probably a negative real return. That is not all: inflation is likely around the corner, and if you remember the early eighties, you may remember how inflation kills the GIC retiree. For those who forgot. inflation was 10% and 5-year GICs returned 8-12%. That was before tax. Canada`s tax rate was over 50% and thus after tax return the GIC investor netted 4-6% minus 10% inflation, i.e. a real return of -4 to -6%.

Not only that, I was involved with a GIC from the Principal Group in Calgary because they paid 0.5% more than the average Canadian Bank. Then Alberta Premier Getty called Principal investors `greedy and naive` after the Province pulled the rug from under the Principal. The so-called GIC insurance as the Principal claimed it had wasn`t there. Some larger investors with unsecured obligations did not get back a penny. Others such as myself with GICs got back 80cts on the dollar AFTER waiting for nearly 10 years and no interest. BTW, in my (not so humble opinion) after Ed Stelmach, Don Getty is Alberta`s worst premier - still we owe him Family Day.

So much for Mr. Trahair`s `No Risk investments`. The lesson: there is always risk, investment risk (the Principal went kaput in spite of its reputation); the after tax risk and... inflation risk. Oh, and the wasted money on Mr. Trahair`s book you can add to your losses.

I know a lot of you also look down on the stock market and only focus on real estate. Guess what, if you were investing in real estate in the U.S. or in Calgary in the 1980`s you may not have looked so smug. Using my current stock holdings near the bottom of a bear market, I made on average 3% on the stock market since 2000. Of course, I took profits in between and reinvested a lot in real estate - thank God. So my overall return is a lot better. In fact, I am down around 10% for my total portfolio from the peak and since 2000 my money more than tripled. That is AFTER tax.

So why the bragging? To show you the importance of diversification! Diversification is not the purchase of 2000 different stocks. It is not investing in only paper investment. I must admit that from my experience, diversification is best represented by Robert Allen`s book on 5 different income streams. Basically, you build up income from different sources.

My income sources are:
1 - Cash (and sometimes cap gains) from rental and other properties ( http://platinumsuitesresort.com/ part of my Belize)
2 - Income from part-time consulting - I teach courses and do petroleum consulting (http://eucalyptusconsulting.ca/ )
3 - Dividends and income from a diversified (not di-worsified) stock and bond portfolio AND... I am working on learning how to get income from options.
4 - Canada Pension and old-age security - once I am grown-up enough
5 - Living of your woman - hahaha. But really, I am proud of my wife`s venture`s - here is her latest one: http://sid21c.com/
6 - Maybe I`ll write a book or columns and live blissfully of the royalties paid for by the suckers who read my junk (just kidding).

The last is just `tongue in cheek`. However, there is some truth to it. If you truly want to learn how to invest, there is only one school, the one of actually doing it, the school of `hard Knox`. Books give ideas but not a single one points the way to risk free wealth accumulation. If there ever was such a way, everyone would be a millionair - only 1% of the population is. BTW being a millionair is not what it used to be... in the 1800s.

Live is about learning... if you stop learning you stop living. Life has to present you with challenges, how else can one appreciate the good times. The same with investing - it is challenging and frustrating. Sitting behind the computer and doing all day long day trading will kill you - mentally, physically and financially. Acting is the secret to a good live - sitting on your behind only numbs the gray cells. So... go out there and find another investment challenge.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Aug 8 2009, 11:40 AM) Live is about learning... if you stop learning you stop living. Life has to present you with challenges, how else can one appreciate the good times. The same with investing - it is challenging and frustrating. Sitting behind the computer and doing all day long day trading will kill you - mentally, physically and financially. Acting is the secret to a good live - sitting on your behind only numbs the gray cells. So... go out there and find another investment challenge.Good points Godfried but if you`re a plain, honest country boy like me RE makes more sense than the stock mkt because the learning curve is less steep. That said my first RE investment was a disaster on all fronts and it took me 15 years to recover. Before REIN I was just banging my head looking for cash flow and getting nowhere. After joining REIN not only did I change my thinking I began meeting new people who also introduced me to other new people and magically (with hard work no doubt) 3 cash flowing properties were added to my portfolio.
The truest statement to me is you are a reflection of the people you spend the most time with
Not all of us are as adept at learning the equities mkt as you but all of us can join REIN follow the system and become better RE investors

- my compliments to you on your success!!

rforgiel

REIN Member
Godfried,

Good to have you back on the board.

Back 15 years ago when I got married in Japan, my wife took her money out of the Japanese Post Office and sent it to Canada and invested it in safe bonds and the types of things David Trahair suggested. I tried to convince her the stock market was good and I had superior stock picking skills but having gone through the great Japanese boom and crash she said she has heard all that before and now wanted safety.

I invested in stocks and had a portfolio that raced ahead and crashed back down to earth. All in all, I think she did all right even as well as my hand picked stocks and better then the average mutual fund.

For the past 15 years of low inflation, I think this kind of investment was an OK maybe not great place to be. I do agree with you that going forward diversification is key and the world has changed. I have no idea what is in store for the current economy and unsure how to plan for it.

If I may rant, I feel what the financial institutions have done is criminal in crashing the worldwide banking system. I have no problem with Keynesian economics and the stimulus packages to get things going again.

However before putting trillions of dollars back into these institutions, I want to see the bangsters who perpetrated this theft going to jail. As it stands now all we can expect is the same theft occurring and these dollars being of little use.

I am currently investing in:
- Stocks hand picked diversified growth
- Bonds although high inflation could make this a not wise choice
- Real estate
- Private mortgages
The last time we corresponded folks were cautious on private mortgages but I have found them to be a great investment and they seem to be becoming more acceptable in the REIN world after the Greg Habstritt’s series of web casts.

An interesting deal that came through our office was for a gay trailer park in Turkey Point Ontario. Needless to say the banks would not look at this deal. I figured the deal was good and one could demand high interest and fees but if the deal ever went sideways, I would have no clue as how to run the park if I had to take over.

Being in private mortgages also has you being introduced to some of the shrewdest and most sophisticated business people out there and being invited into some interesting opportunities.

After bad mouthing the world wide financial system, we are finding products out there for funding real estate and business projects, making these interesting times.

gwasser

Registered
Hi Ramon,

Thanks for the response. And yes it may be a rant, but rants full of ideas like yours are like brain storming. Great!

Sorry to hear about your wife`s Japan experience. That was a great bubble and if she had taken profit from time to time and put that into GICs for diversification, she may have laughed all the way to the bank. Had she invested into the Japanese real estate market maybe not.

Good to hear you are diversified now and yes the stock market current returns are not looking very good. But they never do at the bottom or near the bottom of a market. The scary thing is that if you believe guys like Harry Dent or a news letter like the Daily Reckoning, we may be crashing even back into a depression. Alas! However, near market peaks all the pain is soon forgotten. That is the business cycle.

Yes I remember our discussion on private mortgages, I refered to mortgage pools such as Abel Creek and you were more interested in investing directly into real estae projects. The gay trailer park in Turkey Point Ontario (I read for a moment `in Turkey`) sounded kind of out of this world. Might have been very profitable though.

In my search for alternative income streams, I start to look into Angel and new venture investing. Talking about risk! Just like you I am disgusted with executive compensation, mutual fund manager and Wall Street bonusses. When those guys earn a 1000x or more than the teller in their banks, there is certainly something out of whack. The most recent example at Goldman Sachs where the average bonus per employee was something like $900,000 it made me sick. Especially since it is not Goldman`s receptionist who gets anything even close to that average.

So I am moving away from trusting managements of corporations (just got reminded again by Manulife`s dividend cut) and try to find investments where I am more in control. Obviously real estate falls into that category, including your private mortgages and hopefully my angel investing. As a minimum you may meet some very sharp people (as long as they are on your and my side).

Thanks for the rant, and I hope I gave you a good rant back.

rforgiel

REIN Member
Thank you for your kind words Godfried & Greatful.

Godfried

Being an Angel Investor that puts you up at the top of the Sophisticated Investor list. This is not any easy game. Best of luck with those endeavours.

When I was in Japan I lived through two worlds. The first was the boom times with high salaries, booze, women, partying on the Ginza, expensive corporate functions.
After the bust I should have come home but met a girl and stuck around and had to take a low paying job in the countryside.
This discussion has made me reflect back on those times and my best memories and the people I still have contact with come from the simpler leaner times out in the country.

Maybe we should not fear slow downs as some good comes for them but as investors we must make sure we are not overleveraged and can keep going while keeping some powder dry to take advantage of the opportunities that will arise.

Thank you for continuing to provide for interesting discussions.