Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I`m freak`n out about foundation cracks in Edmonton

mihwalee

Registered
Hello fellow REIN members,

I just came back from my very first rental property (townhouse, 30 units, built in 1981) inspection in Edmonton and was surprised by all the cracks and broken/shifted concrete in the backyard (the small backyard is cemented) to the point that someone could easily trip over and fall. The outside wall (i.e. leading to outside) in the basement showed signs of leak repairs. There were some hairline fractures but no other signs of moisture or water damage. My inspector told me that this is common in Edmonton as the soil expands and the grading shifts. He didn`t seem too concerned. Plus, he clarified that he does not comment on condo exteriors which struck me as odd (is that normal for condo inspection?). I guess my question is how major would the repair and the cost be should there be an assessment. I`m in the process of getting the condo doc reviewed but am anxious to get some feedback about the seriousness of the problem. I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Mihwa from Vancouver

ToddStokowski

Registered
My advice, if there is any foundation issues - run, run, run.

You can call Abalon Construction and they will assess the damage and let you know the seriousness of it and the costs to repair same.

I would also check the Capital Replace Reserve report to see if there are any comments regarding the foundations. The costs are most likely covered by the Association - check the bylaws.

Todd

mikecunning

REIN Member
I`m not familiar with the complex, however, some cracking and settling is completely normal so it is important not to blow it out of proportion. Are you buying from a developer or is this a condominium conversion? If so, they may have an engineer`s report on file. Ask for a copy.

Good luck

Mike

Top Bottom