Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I Want To Quit My Job

johnsu

Registered
"Freedom to chose tha most people crave"

This freedom exist NOW for EVERYONE. Tell me 1 thing you HAVE TO DO. There is NOTHING that you have to do. People just have to be ready to deal with the consequences. So CHASING this FREEDOM is dillusional. When people understand that, then life becomes a lot SIMPLER. I learnt this in Les Hewitt's coaching course.

nubiwan

Registered
[quote user=bizaro86][quote user=ThomasBeyer]Otherwise, no universities could exist today !!

There's a pretty big difference in the external recognition of the credentials from a university versus a real estate "mentor" program.

Too right bizaro86. Whether true or not.

Some might rightly argue that man university profs have little (if any) real world experience.

Last time I looked, there were no Uni courses for real estate investing either.

What's a man to do? Take action, that's what. Get a mentor. Get a dump to fix. Get a 2 apartment. Take your pick. Get going.

GaryW

Registered
[quote user=bizaro86]How do you know it was a good investment if you haven't taken any action based on the information yet? It's pretty hard to judge whether an investment was good until the return has come in. In my mind, you may have made a good investment, but you won't know that for sure until you have at least your 35-40k back, plus a return on the money, plus a return on the time you put into it.

Hi Michael:

I wasn't talking about "Money" being my return, I meant "Knowledge" was my return. I didn't know a single thing about Real Estate before I joined REIN and then 6 months later joined Ron LeGrand's system with the coaching , which was brought here to Canada by REIN.

As for taking any action , yes , I'm a slow learner and also had to get over the fear. Once that left, action was easy! This whole message wasn't an attempt to poke at anybody, just what I had to come to terms with myself, which is also all over Thomas's message as well.

I hope you understand

Gary

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=nubiwan]Some might rightly argue that man university profs have little (if any) real world experience.

My potential employment income tripled the minute I got my hands on my degree. I've made more in 3 years working with my degree than I would have in 7 without it, so it's paid off already. Whether I learned anything useful there or not isn't relevant to the calculation, because the perception of the degree made me a much more valuable employee.

[quote user=nubiwan]What's a man to do? Take action, that's what. Get a mentor. Get a dump to fix. Get a 2 apartment. Take your pick. Get going.

I've done all of those things except getting the mentor, and have been doing them at a pretty good clip. My original point was only that (like with any investment) you should carefully calculate the return you've going to get and weigh it against the cost of the investment. The next step is to compare alternative investments that you could make using the same resources.

Maybe spending 25k on mentoring is a good investment. For me, spending $12 on a library card and $24,988 on real estate downpayments seems like a better investment, but different strokes for different folks.

[quote user=nubiwan]Last time I looked, there were no Uni courses for real estate investing either

http://2learn.utoronto.ca/uoft/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=7397119

U of T has this course in Continuing Education.

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/areas-of-study/real-estate/professional-certificates/real-estate-certificates/certificate-in-real-estate-finance-and-investment.html

NYU offers a whole certificate in real estate finance/investment, which would admitedly have a more US based approach.

Unfortunately, most of the university courses offered are geared towards becoming a property manager/realtor/appraiser/mortgage broker, as opposed to an individual investor. The credibility an accredited institution could bring to real estate education field would be of value, since most people have seen a lot of informercials promising "no money down millionaires in 1 year" or whatever. Could be an opportunity for REIN to partner with an institution to offer an extended version of the acre program as a certificate?

Regards,

Michael

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=GJWCA]Hi Michael:

I wasn't talking about "Money" being my return, I meant "Knowledge" was my return. I didn't know a single thing a Real Estate before I joined REIN and then 6 months later joined Ron LeGrand's system with the coaching , which was brought here to Canada by REIN.

As for taking any action , yes , I'm a slow learner and also had to get over the fear. Once that left, action was easy! This whole message wasn't an attempt to poke at anybody, just what I had to come to terms with myself, which is also all over Thomas's message as well.

I hope you understand

Gary

Hi there, Sorry if my post came off as hostile, that was certainly not my intent, nor was it my intent to judge the way you've spent your money. (One of the great things about this country is that after the gov't takes their "fair share" you can do what you like with the rest of your $)

I understand your point of view regarding it being an investment in knowledge, and I'm sure you've received lots of value, especially from REIN. If that investment moves you into making smart real estate investments from a position of making no real estate investments, then you're most probably better off. My main point was that it's hard to judge the value of knowledge until you've seen the fruits of that knowledge in action.

Best regards and good luck!

Michael

GaryW

Registered
[quote user=nubiwan]If I had to advise a new investor on what to do with his first $35,000 in cash it would not be to go spend $25K on a course or $10K on a mentor.

I fancy that is where the original request was directed.

I'm not rich by any means, but I did control my spending habits pretty good and this message was meant to show how some people (probably not yourself) will go out and spend $50,000.00 on a vehicle and all of Canada is OK with that. The second you tell people you've spent money on something like this , that will benefit in the future....you're considered crazy. I forgot to include the cost of joining REIN in my numbers.

I am very sorry if I offended you , it's just that I wanted this more than anything else in life , so I won't have to work for money in the future. Napolean Hill's chapter on desire is exactly how I live my life today and I continue to read that chapter to reach my Belize!

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=GJWCA] I'm not rich by any means, but I did control my spending habits pretty good and this message was meant to show how some people (probably not yourself) will go out and spend $50,000.00 on a vehicle and all of Canada is OK with that. The second you tell people you've spent money on something like this , that will benefit in the future....you're considered crazy. I forgot to include the cost of joining REIN in my numbers.

I am very sorry if I offended you , it's just that I wanted this more than anything else in life , so I won't have to work for money in the future. Napolean Hill's chapter on desire is exactly how I live my life today and I continue to read that chapter to reach my Belize!

I think just about everyone on this board would agree with you that a fancy real estate education has a lot more long term value than a fancy truck, so you've done well there. I also understand your perspective on other people telling you you're crazy for doing real estate (I've had my fair share of naysayers, for sure) so I hope we haven't given you to harsh a welcome here, as this is really quite an encouraging place.

Regards,

Michael

nubiwan

Registered
[quote user=GJWCA][quote user=nubiwan]If I had to advise a new investor on what to do with his first $35,000 in cash it would not be to go spend $25K on a course or $10K on a mentor.

I fancy that is where the original request was directed.

I'm not rich by any means, but I did control my spending habits pretty good and this message was meant to show how some people (probably not yourself) will go out and spend $50,000.00 on a vehicle and all of Canada is OK with that. The second you tell people you've spent money on something like this , that will benefit in the future....you're considered crazy. I forgot to include the cost of joining REIN in my numbers.

No offence taken, and I hope I did not offend you. We're all having open discussion.

For the record, I drive a pretty beat up 2002 Rav4 with a chop saw, roofing tar, and a couple of tool boxes hoofed in the trunk. It constantly smells of paint thinner and is littered with coffee cups, nails and staples.

I wear the rubber boots with Sobeys bags tucked in them because they leak, the crappiest jeans and cargo pants I can find and my jacket is covered in foundation sealant. Although it is a Columbia. I must look like a skid wherever I go.

The good news is, my endeavours in Real Estate enable me to spend more time with my kids and wife, and I can spend 5-6 weeks a year in Florida.

I think we'd find our goals and ambitions are not that far apart. With the exception perhaps of my wardrobe :)

Top Bottom