Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

IMPORTANT CHANGES TO HOT WATER TANKS that will affect ROI

alaas1977

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
Hi Everyone

IMPORTANT

Please let all the owners know that if their hwt's are going to need replacing within the next 3-4 years they should be done this year as these units are being phased out by March 2016, they will no longer be making these atmospheric units (metal venting)

The atmospheric hwt's (standard hwt's with the metal vent on top) are being phased out and will no longer be available by March 2016. The govt has announced changes to phase out the old units and convert to the energy efficient models that use the plastic venting and vent outside. These new units being introduced are four times more expensive for the unit itself then the old style units.

The current cost to replace a standard 40 gallon atmospheric hwt is approx $1095 installed in Edmonton, when they phase these units out the new cost will be anywhere from $3200 and up, due to the extra labour and material cost, not to mention the extra costs in possibly having to replace furnaces depending on the location of the furnace i.e. if it is in the middle of the house, ceilings are low etc.size. Extra repair costs to any drywall or other repairs required as we will need to drill through the wall or go through the chimneys.

I am an investor as well as a own a plumbing company, I am sharing this information because as an investor this affects the ROI and can really hurt the bottom line.

Lisa

RyP

New Member, Learning to fly!
REIN Member
Wow! This is huge news for those of us that have newly renovated basement suites. Thanks Lisa, you've likely saved me thousands!

RyP

New Member, Learning to fly!
REIN Member
After March 2016 would you say that an 'on demand' system maybe be a better option?

alaas1977

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
Hi Ryan

On demand systems can be great but also have issues depending on where you are located. I recommend them if you're limited on space. However they have issues such as : take longer for the hot water to get to the fixtures as the unit has to heat the cold water in the line, if you have a bathtub fixture with a high gallons per minute usage such as a Roman tub filler, then it takes a lot longer for a bath tub to fill. In Edmonton our water is very hard so I usually recommend also a water softener as well and that the units should get flushed once yearly to help maintain the small interior lines of the units. I don't find that in Edmonton you save that much on utilities (as fees are a large portion of the bill) versus the cost of installation at this time, however if we are forced to spend similiar amounts on the newer hwt's than these may become a viable option.

I myself will be buying several hwt's and storing in one of my garages as many of my units the hwt's are only 1-2 years old, we did this at the time they changed regulations for the furnaces and required high efficient units as several of our houses had the units in the middle of the house.

If anyone is interested I have a copy of the article for the new regulations regarding these hwt's.

Have a great day

Lisa

AminMurji

Registered
Hi Lisa
Can you please share the link for the new regulations regarding HWTs?

Thanks

alaas1977

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
Hi Amin

I will try and see how to upload it, when I tried yesterday it said it was too large. If you email me at [email protected] I can gladly send you the article.

Lisa

Top Bottom