Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Information to be provided by landlord

Trizzy

Registered
Information to be provided by landlord
(1) If a tenancy agreement is entered into, the landlord shall provide to the tenant information relating to the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, the role of the Board and how to contact the Board. 2006, c. 17, s. 11 (1).

Form

<A name=s11s2>(2) The information shall be provided to the tenant on or before the date the tenancy begins in a form approved by the Board. 2006, c. 17, s. 11 (2).

Where would I acquire an approved form, and do most of you abide by this section?

invst4profit

Registered
I do not provide the information in my package (application form, lease, rules, etc). I use this as another litmus test of perspective tenants.
Depending on there reaction to the missing information I can gauge whether they are aggressive, demanding or "I know my rights as a tenant" types. Obviously if they notice it missing it is because they have received it before therefore there approach to informing me is a tell to the type of tenant they may be.
If one did mention the missing information I would simply apologize for my oversight but at the same take advantage of there approach to the situation as another piece of information to gauge there acceptability as a potential tenant.

Being small time and having only 2-3 new tenants per year I have not had a applicant mention it yet.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jun 6 2010, 09:58 AM) I do not provide the information in my package (application form, lease, rules, etc). I use this as another litmus test of perspective tenants.
Depending on there reaction to the missing information I can gauge whether they are aggressive, demanding or "I know my rights as a tenant" types. Obviously if they notice it missing it is because they have received it before therefore there approach to informing me is a tell to the type of tenant they may be.
If one did mention the missing information I would simply apologize for my oversight but at the same take advantage of there approach to the situation as another piece of information to gauge there acceptability as a potential tenant.

Being small time and having only 2-3 new tenants per year I have not had a applicant mention it yet.

Wow - I look at this entirely differently. I would assume that a professional tenant wouldn`t mention it if you didn`t give it to them, because this way they could use it against you down the road, and I don`t want to give them any ammunition to use against me. I would definitely give it to them, as it emphasizes that you are a professional landlord who knows what he is doing and who knows the law. I`d even have them initial something saying that they got it, to start the paper trail then and there.

Have a good one!

JohnS

invst4profit

Registered
This test is not to screen professional tenants it is more to identify difficult tenants.
Value as a screening tool outweighs the risk but if concerned one could easily provide the info after accepting applicant as a tenant.
Admittedly this is a minor screening tool but I use everything in my arsenal with today`s tenant pool having such a high "entitlement attitude".

In the event a difficult tenant did get past my screening, once I identified a potential problem tenant, I could then provide them with the information and apologize for not including it in the beginning. Problems usually develop slowly over time allowing a LL plenty of time to do damage control assuming a LL is actually on top of there game.

In the case of an investor using a PM obviously these types of safety nets are not used and everything is usually by the letter of the law. No real room for creative ingenuity.

As far as being identified as a professional LL is concerned I play that by ear during the interview process. Once I begin to feel things out I can play that card as I see necessary to test the applicant. Sometimes I am a inexperienced new LL that trusts everyone other times a hard a** professional depending on the applicants personality and how the interview developed. Usually I start friendly and end up with the professional that takes no bull and enforces the regulations with a iron fist. Again depending on the applicant and whether I am tending to accept or reject.

Screening of applicants in Ontario is a LLs only opportunity to kick the dirt to the curb so I take it very seriously. Once you have a tenant you are pretty well stuck with whatever you get for as long as they want to stay. As a result mistakes can be costly.
I have made a few and will make more but not from lack of effort.

JohnS

Registered
I really wasn`t thinking of it in terms of screening, so I can see your point that way. I was talking in terms of covering your butt. Once they`re a tenant, the law says to give it to them. I definitely wouldn`t give it to everyone applying - just those that have been accepted. If you don`t give it to them before they move in, a bit of power has been ceded to them, as you`ve been negligent in your responsibities (in the eyes of the law, that is).

So, people can easily go by what both of us are saying, as we`re talking about two different steps in the process.

Have a good one!

JohnS

georgefung

Registered
I`m closing on my first property next month, so I`m still a rookie at this.
I`m planning on giving it to my tenant, stating that I`m required by law to provide this information, but will state that I will be available for any open communication. Hopefully, this will make the LTB the last resort, and will keep the lines of communication open with my tenant.

I have one question... If you`re giving (or not giving) this LTB information to the tenant upon move-in or upon signing the lease, haven`t you already accepted the tenant, and haven`t you already lost the opportunity to screen them? I figure that, by the time you`re giving them this information document, the tenant-landlord relationship has already been established.

Thanks.

George

Berubeland

Registered
I actually like the form it has a lot of important information for Landlords about their responsibilities. Believe me a bad tenant wouldn`t need the form to find the landlord & tenant board they already know where it is.

Top Bottom