Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Install Deadbolt?

Neil1

Registered
Hi,
How important is having a deadbolt?
My friend bought a plex. Few entrance doors have no deadbolt, just 1 key for the handle.
The doors are in a good condition, but have no deadbolt.
Would you install a deadbolt lock or leave it with 1 key no problem?
Thanks,
Neil

kfort

Registered
Yes. This is a no brainer.

i prefer the Schlage electronic ones because tenants will not require keys, they can be changed (codes) in 1 minute or less, and they require physical input to lock/ unlock them. Not cheap at $164/each

Neil1

Registered
Can you please elaborate a bit. Why is it that important to have a 2nd lock?
My friend for example lives in a condo and has only 1 key - a handle lock.
Never had any issue with that:)
Why is it/what is a no brainer?
Thanks

S

Seeley

Locked is locked. A locking door/key entry is all that is required for a landlord to provide.

kfort

Registered
[quote user="Neil1"]Can you please elaborate a bit. Why is it that important to have a 2nd lock?
My friend for example lives in a condo and has only 1 key - a handle lock.
Never had any issue with that:)
Why is it/what is a no brainer?
Thanks

[/quote]

if I understand correctly you're saying there is a locking knob and no deadbolt? A locking knob can be defeated in a matter of seconds by anyone with access to a credit card or often flathead screwdriver. A deadbolt at least requires some skill/ practice to defeat. I provide a deadbolt, and a NON locking knob so they can never lock themselves out. I would never expect a tenant to feel secure in a residence with no deadbolt. Ever.

S

Seeley

Neil in the case of your friends plex only units on the ground floor are in serious danger of B&E and only if they have a entrance to the exterior of the building. Generally houses have a higher threat of break-in than apartments.

If you understand the business of B&E, amateur and professional, you would know that a second lock or dead bolt is for security of mind not property. A sturdy good quality knob lock serves the purpose of preventing entry and professionals are extremely unlikely to enter through a front door. Location of choice is in the rear and generally by window. Residents are better off having a chain latch on the inside for protection. Make sure exterior rear doors do not have window glass.

It's entirely up to you as to whether providing the mental security of a dead bolt is necessary or not but if a tenant wants a dead bolt I would tell them it is OK as long as they are willing to pay.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
We remove all knob locks from all of our suites and use deadbolts only. Security issues aside, eliminating knob locks virtually eliminates tenant lock-outs as well. In 10 years of investing, I have had to deal with only 2 lockouts.

Also, we use a master key system. This way each suite is individually keyed but my PM, contractor, and myself need only add one key to our chains.

Neil1

Registered
[quote user="Sherilynn"]We remove all knob locks from all of our suites and use deadbolts only. Security issues aside, eliminating knob locks virtually eliminates tenant lock-outs as well. In 10 years of investing, I have had to deal with only 2 lockouts.

Also, we use a master key system. This way each suite is individually keyed but my PM, contractor, and myself need only add one key to our chains.

[/quote]

Hi,
How many units on average?
Or if that's too personal, How many lockouts do you think you would have to deal with had you not removed all your knob locks?
With 50 units and average Canadian properties knob locks wise (meaning with many knob locks:), we only had to deal with 2 too, in 5 years though.

Regards
Thanks

Neil1

Registered
Thanks Kristopher for the clarification and Seeley and Sherilynn for the additional info and suggestions.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
[quote user="Neil1"]How many units on average?
Or if that's too personal, How many lockouts do you think you would have to deal with had you not removed all your knob locks?[/quote]

In our first year of investing, when we still had a couple of knob locks, we had a lock-out. That was enough for me to make a change. ;)

Top Bottom