Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Insurance for a rental in Alberta, live in Ontario.

AndyLuchies

Registered
Hi everyone,

Usually Andy my husband posts, and I read them, but I thought I would try out a post for myself.

I`m the better half in that picture there. Just kidding!

I have been looking for quotes for insurance on rental property that we are buying in Alberta.
We live in ontario.
I have been phoning companies in Alberta, who tell me to phone companies in Ontario. When I phone insurance brokers in Ontario, they tell me to phone people in Alberta.

Is HUB insurance the only company that will insure me if I live in Ontario, and my rental property is in Alberta?

Any experience/insight is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jessa

smack123

Registered
Hi Jessa,

I live in BC and own a rental property in Alberta - I use RBC (Royal Bank) as my insurance provider for that property. I would assume they could do the same for you as an Ontraio resident... as far as I`m aware it would only be problematic if you either lived in or owned the proeprty in Quebec as they ahve different laws.

Check them out online.

ScottL

Registered
Hi Jessa,

I moved 1.5 yrs ago from Alberta where I had (still have) my properties. 6 Months ago I received notice from my insurer that because I live out of province I had to switch to commercial insurance. I found that I had to find a commercial insurance provider in Alberta. I use Peace Hills Insurance in Sherwood Park. Although a premium for commercial insurance, the service is great.

Good luck.

Scott

brentdavies

Registered
Try Park insurance and thier Rein Members program.

I found much better coverage and cheaper than most programs

AndyLuchies

Registered
QUOTE (smack123 @ Oct 1 2009, 03:10 PM) Hi Jessa,

I live in BC and own a rental property in Alberta - I use RBC (Royal Bank) as my insurance provider for that property. I would assume they could do the same for you as an Ontraio resident... as far as I`m aware it would only be problematic if you either lived in or owned the proeprty in Quebec as they ahve different laws.

Check them out online.

Thanks very much - I did check them out, and they only insure revenue property if you have your principal residence with them as well. Since we are happy with our current principal residence property insurance (we have a pretty good deal going with them because we have more property and auto with them) - I don`t want to switch. Great to know that there are other insurance providers out there that provide it regardless of province.

Lucas

Registered
QUOTE (jessandy @ Oct 1 2009, 04:42 PM) Thanks very much - I did check them out, and they only insure revenue property if you have your principal residence with them as well. Since we are happy with our current principal residence property insurance (we have a pretty good deal going with them because we have more property and auto with them) - I don`t want to switch. Great to know that there are other insurance providers out there that provide it regardless of province.

I second the Park Insurance nomination...

Good Luck,

Lucas

GarthChapman

Registered
Three good options below (use my name as referance on the last two, and use your REIN membership with Park

Park Insurance
+1 (800) 663-3739

State Farm
Jody Johnston
250, 11488 - 24 St SE
Calgary, AB T2Z 4C9
+1 (403) 279-3133

DeJong`s Insurance
Trevor Stewart
202, 1211-14th St SW
Calgary, AB T3C 1C4
+1 (403) 245-1192