Insurance Letter from Belair recvd for property in Ottawa

RArora

Registered
Hi!

I have just recieved a letter from Belair , my insurance co. they did an inspection of the rental property I have-a 14 yr old townhome (freehold) in excellent condition. Now it says they have amended their amount for the building replacement cost from $202k to $223k and suddenyl my premiums have jumped up as well???? we got this property just this summer 08!

now there are also 2 components in the letter I need someones expert advise on as to what to do...

it says
"we require the following amended to prevent a future loss and be completed by Nov 20 2008 (?)

required: attached garage roof section is showing deterioration a roofing contractor must be consulted to assess the effectiveness of the existing roof covering with view to repair or replace as required.

recommended:a carbon monoxide detector must be installed in each dwelling unit containing a fuel burning appliance in the interest of safety or in conformance with local by-law

what does this mean I need to do? fix the roof? I dont know if any contractor is doing that anymore for this year now!
and recommended part-does it mean get another detector installed on each floor of the townhouse or just the basement where the fireplace is???? we have smoke detectors-do they not have carbon monoxide detectors in them already when installed? its a minto home in chapel hill...

Please advise!

Who is the best and lowest priced insurance coverage provider-with max coverage-for ottawa ON?

Thanks
Rasna

HeatherBrandt

Registered
Regarding the roof, we received the same kind of letter on a roof that we thought had about 5 years left. The insurance agent translated the letter for us (replace the roof or we won`t insure it). We had a roofer give us an estimate and indicated we were on his list. This was Alberta and we were lucky to find someone to look at it. We sent in the estimate and this was adequate for continued insurance and we sent in the final bill when it was done 4 months later in November. (the letter said within 30 days!)

There was really no choice in the matter. It cost us $5000 (made us do the detached garage too) we hadn`t planned on spending for a few years.

About the carbon monoxide detectors, if you don`t have the ones they want, I suggest put them in, give them the proof, and then everyone can move on.

Heather

QUOTE (RArora @ Oct 20 2008, 04:56 PM) Hi!

I have just recieved a letter from Belair , my insurance co. they did an inspection of the rental property I have-a 14 yr old townhome (freehold) in excellent condition. Now it says they have amended their amount for the building replacement cost from $202k to $223k and suddenyl my premiums have jumped up as well???? we got this property just this summer 08!

now there are also 2 components in the letter I need someones expert advise on as to what to do...

it says
"we require the following amended to prevent a future loss and be completed by Nov 20 2008 (?)

required: attached garage roof section is showing deterioration a roofing contractor must be consulted to assess the effectiveness of the existing roof covering with view to repair or replace as required.

recommended:a carbon monoxide detector must be installed in each dwelling unit containing a fuel burning appliance in the interest of safety or in conformance with local by-law

what does this mean I need to do? fix the roof? I dont know if any contractor is doing that anymore for this year now!
and recommended part-does it mean get another detector installed on each floor of the townhouse or just the basement where the fireplace is???? we have smoke detectors-do they not have carbon monoxide detectors in them already when installed? its a minto home in chapel hill...

Please advise!

Who is the best and lowest priced insurance coverage provider-with max coverage-for ottawa ON?

Thanks
Rasna

RArora

Registered
thanks for letting me know how it went Heather.

Does anyone know of someone who can come for an estimate in Ottawa?

dplummer

Registered
Give CDRG a call 613-736-9222. They`re at 1084 Kenaston in Ottawa & reccomended by most Insurance Co`s.
Doug

RArora

Registered
Thankfully I was able to get worry free roofing to come and replace the garage part of the roof for $600 inclusive of GST before the deadline.
Thanks everyone!