Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Insurance Rates for a Rental Property

Tony3618

New Forum Member
Registered
Hello, I am new to the Rein website and I have learned a lot from the information on the website - Thank-you to everyone. This is my first forum post.

My daughter is just starting university in another city and so I thought rather than pay out rent, I could by a Rental Property and collect rent instead. So I bought a 1040 sq ft 3 bedroom house with a 2 bedroom basement rental suite. The idea is my daughter could live upstairs with 2 room mates paying rent and we could also rent out the 2 bedroom suite in the basement. I worked with an insurance broker and in my budget (and my initial quote) my insurance would be ~$1200 per year. Once I received the paperwork, I noticed that the quote was based on a family owned home (only my daughter upstairs) and the rental suite occupied in the basement. I asked for a re-quote with the 2 additional renters upstairs and first insurance company declined to even insure the property. A second company would insure it however the quote came back at about $2800. I started getting some additional quotes from another broker and they are highly recommending that I don't report my daughter's two room mates so that it qualifies for the lower rate policy.

My questions are:

1) Is the insurance rate of $2800 in line with what is typically paid for a 3 bedroom upstairs suite and 2 bedroom downstairs suite with a 340,000 replacement cost?

2) How big of a risk is there to not reporting the 2 upstairs room mates and going with the less expensive policy.

Is there anyone that has run into this situation? I am inclined to hold on to 'Honesty is the best policy' however I also know that customary practices and precedence can be stronger than policy.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
1) No, $2800 is expensive. I pay less than half of that for a fantastic rental property policy on my up/downs.
2) Never lie. Ever. Never ever. If you mislead an insurance company, you risk your claim being denied. (Similarly, if you mislead your banker when applying for a mortgage, your mortgage could be called due.) Aside from the issue of integrity (and in some cases, fraud), you are not eligible to collect lost rent in the case of loss of use of the property (for fire, flood, etc) unless you state your rental income when you apply for the policy.

Get a "REIN policy" from an insurance broker such as Park Insurance, HUB International, or Sadler Insurance. There could be other brokers offering such policies, but those are the three I know. In some cases, you must be a REIN member to access these policies.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
^ Agree. That is the same for mine. $80 - 110 for my suited properties / month. Some over $450k value.

^^ Risk is huge. Might as well not buy insurance.

Tony3618

New Forum Member
Registered
Thank-you so much for your replies. I didn't feel comfortable being dishonest and I also didn't feel comfortable paying $2800 for insurance. I contacted one of the insurance brokers you mentioned and I can get the best of both worlds. They gave a ball park quote of $1200 and it will be insured as a rental. This post alone will pay for my REIN membership.

THANK-YOU

Top Bottom