Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Inveesting Now in U.S. properties

UTCVenturesLtd

Registered
I recieved a reply from my realtor contact in Riverside, CA. asking him what is happening in his area. Apparently investors have now been buying up the resale homes leaving the new homes and bank repos alone. He said that there is a second group of investors are waiting longer before they buy. Are the early birds the winners or the late comers? Maybe with the pending change of gov`t, things will begin to turn around? Maybe with another wave of foreclosures, the late comers will do well? But interest rates have dropped quite a bit which might slow down more foreclosures from happening too. That could show that the real estate market has hit the bottom and is stabilizing finally. Which group of investors do you think is right? Does anyone know is happening in other areas now with their realtor contacts?

joeiannuzzi

Registered
What does the property goldmine scorecard say? That is the best system I have ever found.

BobHudson

Registered
I thought about all of those options before I bought my house in Arizona. Then I decided that doing something was better than over analyzing. So I jumped in. Trying to time the bottoms or tops of markets is never an easy thing. I prefer not to use that as a reason for delay.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Riverside is in the Top 10 growth towns in the US from an employment creation point of view .... it is 1/2 h (2h during rush hour) east of overpriced LA .. so yes, it`ll grow ..

prices are reasonable .. so at the right price .. why not buy ?

The question is always: what is teh right price ?

You can lose your shirt in a hot market by overpaying and make a killing in a flast market by buying right .. so do NOT look at the average only .. do your home work on in-migration, job growth, transportation changes, price trends .. and you`ll see most likely that Riverside makes sense AT THE RIGHT PRICE !!!

GarthChapman

Registered
Riverside County residential median prices are down 25% Jan 08 over Jan 07, and number of sales is down over 25%. It should still go down more yet, but this is a tough thing to time. If the numbers work for you and you analyze as Thomas suggests it would be hard to go wrong.

MelanieReuter

Registered
I lived, worked for the county government and owned a home in the city of Riverside. First, you need to be very careful when you are referring to Riverside, as it is both a city and a county. Riverside county stretches from the Arizona border to within 8 miles of the Pacific Ocean and encompasses such cities as Palm Springs (one of the wealthiest communities), Indio (one of the poorest communities), and Moreno Valley. Look at specific areas and avoid generalizing - it is the sixth largest county in the US so you can imagine the vast differences in housing prices, incomes, crime rates etc.

I purchased my personal residence in 2003 for $197,000. It was a nice remodeled (hardwood, granite) 1300 sq ft home built in 1924 in an eclectic neighbourhood that was a mix university professors, meth addicts, and artists. One mile in one direction was a ton of gang activity and one mile in the other direction was a series of $500,000+ homes in gated communities. I sold my home in 2005 for a profit of $120,000 and could have made more but needed a quick sale because I was moving. However, that was just prior to the foreclosure nightmare in the US.

So let me tell you what I know. Currently, Riverside has foreclosures on nearly every block and in every market. It has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the county and the Inland Empire (Riverside and San Bernardino Counties) is rated the sixth highest depreciating market in the US. The per capita income in the county is $26,448 (this is a better measurement than average because communities such as Palm Springs tend to skew it). Because of this, it’s one of the country’s worst subprime and conventional adjustable rate market disasters. Much of the economy is based on housing construction so you can imagine what is happening to jobs at this moment - there is no major employer other than city and county government - most people commute to Orange and LA Counties. Job losses from the housing slowdown will stagnate housing demand.

A couple of good things: there is a community college (RCC) and the University of Riverside California (UCR) located downtown that attracts a lot of renters to the area and there are infrastructure improvements (the 60/215/10 freeway interchange) that will somewhat address the traffic nightmare. Riverside is 60 miles east of LA but at least 60 minutes to the airport (Friday from 3pm - 7pm it is 3 hours). There is one commuter train into LA ($12 single trip), but most everyone drives.

There are very tough areas in Riverside so it is very important to be aware of who you are renting to. Within the immediate environs of the university is one of the worst areas so do not think that it only attracts students. It is rife with prostitutes, gangs, and many drug addicts. There is however, an intiative to revitalize the area but it is a slow process. A person I know owns an apartment building near the uni and rents fully furnished one bedroom apartments for $700 a month. A two bedroom home could probably fetch $1200-$1400 a month.

One feature of the California housing market is that escrow (closing costs) are negotiable between the buyer and the seller and in this market, it may be possible to have the seller pay all of the buyers costs. Also, most sellers provide and pay for one year home owners insurance policy that covers the complete cost of anything that goes wrong with the home (roof leaks (it NEVER rains in Riverside), garbage disposal breaks etc.). But in my humble opinion, the negatives of the market outweigh the positives. I believe that the market will continue it`s downturn before it is corrected. However, I use the term `correction` loosely - houses increased 100 percent in less than two years with no driving economic forces behind the change.

Top Bottom