Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Investing in UK - International Investing

princecharles

Registered
Hi all

I am EU citizen and am going to be spending a lot of time in London UK, and I am thinking of investing in some properties around there.

Has anyone tried to apply the REIN system in the UK? Are there any differences from investing in Canada?

Because the Pound Sterling is worth so much more than the Canadian dollar, would that be a benefit for investing there, a hindrance, or a non factor? On one hand I think it won`t matter if the rent/purchase price ratio is the same as in Canada. But I am also thinking about buying some cash-flowing properties there, and then living in Canada. This way no matter how much it cashflows, I still earn twice as much in CAD dollars.

Also more generally, what is it like owning properties outside your country, or province for that matter? Can it be done smoothly from afar? Any tips on this?

Any strategies?
Many thanks

Mystique

Registered
Hello Princecharles
Good to know someone else is thinking of investing in the UK. I am planning to go sometime soon to see and have a feel of the market in the UK. It would be nice to know what your thoughts are. You can email me on [email protected]
Hari

QUOTE (princecharles @ Nov 1 2009, 10:52 PM) Hi all

I am EU citizen and am going to be spending a lot of time in London UK, and I am thinking of investing in some properties around there.

Has anyone tried to apply the REIN system in the UK? Are there any differences from investing in Canada?

Because the Pound Sterling is worth so much more than the Canadian dollar, would that be a benefit for investing there, a hindrance, or a non factor? On one hand I think it won`t matter if the rent/purchase price ratio is the same as in Canada. But I am also thinking about buying some cash-flowing properties there, and then living in Canada. This way no matter how much it cashflows, I still earn twice as much in CAD dollars.

Also more generally, what is it like owning properties outside your country, or province for that matter? Can it be done smoothly from afar? Any tips on this?

Any strategies?
Many thanks

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (princecharles @ Nov 1 2009, 09:52 PM) Hi all

Any strategies?
Many thanks

I`m a REIN member from Edmonton currently living in Ireland. The pound is actually very weak right now (1.1 to the Euro), which is a good thing, however it`s potentially more volatile given that the UK will experience a longer recession than canada. The deficit numbers I read about in the times last week, as well as some stats I found in my own research are a little concerning.

The REIN systems work wherever you are, but returns aren`t the same in every country. The currency, tax, rents, laws and income are all quite different.

There are a number of people from abroad who have purchesed properties in Canada, both on their own as investors, or through Joint Venture partnerships with REIN members.

You`re welcome to drop me an email: chris at chrisdavies dot ca

orei

Registered
I spent some time living in the Netherlands, and can say that (I believe) you are better off to earn Euro`s (or Pounds) and buy property in Canada. Your money goes a lot further here....Maybe England presents some special advantages/opportunities though?

Top Bottom